Dyer’s Newcastle Future in the Balance

Sam Allardyce talked again about the Kieron Dyer situation yesterday and clarified what his family problem specifically is.

His two children live with his long term partner in Ipswich – and he would like to be closer to them.

The situation is difficult for Big Sam and he reiterated that while he would try to sort the situation out – Newcastle would not sell cheaply.

If things couldn’t be worked out for both the club and Dyer then Kieron would have to honor his contract at Newcastle.

kierondyerpa_468×673.jpg

Kieron Dyer

Sam talked about the Dyer situation last night:

“Those discussions will continue over the period of time it takes to come to the decision, one way or the other.”

“If everything falls into place for both, for us and for him, then that’s fine; if it doesn’t, then from my point of view, I have to protect the interests of Newcastle United.”

Allardyce knows that Dyer arrived for £6M in July 1999 from Ipswich as a highly-rated youngster, and made it clear that Newcastle are not willing to sell cheaply.

Sam went on:

“If we don’t get the money we want he stays here and we will attempt to resolve the situation as best we can,”

“Just because there is this situation, we won’t let other clubs take advantage of it by thinking they can pinch him on the cheap.”

“He might have to stay and play here because we have his contract and we pay him very well to perform to the best of his ability under that contract.”

“I know how difficult the circumstances can be but playing the game of football is what his life’s all about.”

Dyer’s weekly wages of about £80K would put most clubs off – but not so in the case of West Ham.

Sam went on:

“It’s obviously a shame, but when something like this crops up, it might be that the only way to resolve it is to allow him to leave.”

If and when the offers come in, we will have to consider them.”

“His family is in the South. While it’s not good for us, it’s something you have to be sympathetic to.”

“ You have to spend the money you get when you get it as quick as you can on someone else, if someone gives us the sort of money we would accept.”

Newcastle will likely let Dyer, who has two years left on his contract, leave for around £5M at least – and it now looks like if West Ham United are willing to offer good money for Dyer and pay his wages – Newcastle may have to reluctantly accept the bid.

While Sam indicated there are no firm offers right now for Dyer, West Ham United are interested in the England midfield player. Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City are also reported admirers of the 28-year-old, but Manchester would not seem a viable geographic location for Kieron – given the family situation.

Speaking last night about the Dyer situation Alan Curbishley, West Ham’s manager said:

“I’m looking in all areas, and it’s not very often that a club says that a player is available.

“You normally phone up and get told that people are not available, so it’s very difficult. But anything can still happen.

“The situation is that Kieron wants to leave the club, as I understand it, but I don’t know anything else.

“We get linked with a lot of players at the minute, and he’s one of them.

“We are actively looking to strengthen the squad and we have to replace those who have left.

“I have one eye on everything until that window closes – so we’ll have to see.”

Sam has suffered a double blow in his midfield in the last 5 days with Joey Barton ruled out with a foot injury for 6 weeks and now Kieron Dyer wanting to move. This is not ideal preparation for Newcastle – with just a little more than two weeks before the season kicks off at Bolton.

Sam has also indicated Newcastle have lost out on a number of their defensive targets and while they still have viable targets being pursued there is only limited quality available. It’s the quality and not the quantity of the squad that Sam wants to improve. Losing Dyer will not help that cause.

Comments always welcome.

• P.collins

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:19 AM

It’ seems as if West Ham could be the new NUFC ,with a few of are players choosing to play the game their instead. Newcastle at the moment is like a heavy debt we have more going out than we have coming in. What the Hell is going on ok if NUFC can get a good price for Dyer then he has to go if he’s unhappy (I would be the same on 80 k a week). NUFC should see who’s available before they do sell and an ideal replacement would be SHAUN WRIGHT PHILLIPS if chelsea would let him go!

• paul p

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:21 AM

just a thought about this. if west ham want dyer right, then why dont we say to west ham, ok, u can have dyer, but we want matthew upson. we need a quality centre half and he is one of them. othwerwise no deal.

• Dave

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:28 AM

…and all of a sudden our midfield and defence look incredably thin, the transfer deadline looms and so does the start of the season. The first ten games remain vital, not only are they some of the ‘easier’ teams but any players we do manage to get in between then and now will need to bed in.

He’s got to go though non comitted players just won’t wash anymore no matter how much we’ll miss them.

I know if my family was at the other end of the country I’d want to be with them. However, on £80K a week I think they’d be tempted to follow me to the moon if needed, never mind Newcastle.

Sam’ll see us through, it has to get better.

• Brian

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:31 AM

I have a feeling it will be difficult to get rid of Dyer, his injury record is appalling, I also read somewhere that it would be very difficult for any new club to get insurance for Dyer, because of the injury situation. All that and 80 grand a week the odds are he will probably stay with us.

• paul p

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:36 AM

i have just done my list of players who would make us a better team altogether and we could possibly get. I did not think Sol Campbell would go, but it looks like he wants to go. so my list is

Sol Campbell
    Matthew Upson
    Nicky Shorey
    Curtis Davies
    Dean Ashton
    Shaun Wright Phillips
    Allou Diaara
    Diego
    Kevin Nolan

These would improve our squad vastly and should see us into the top 6/7.

• Kash

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:48 AM

BOOHOOOHOOOBOOOHOOOHOOBOOO

He now wants to be close to his kids even though he’s hardly been there all there lives because he was too busy f*&&(g school girls from Church High School, Jesmond. Dyer is a monkey looking m*&* f(*&** who just has squandered his career away. This kid could’ve been a permanent fixture for England if he didn’t mess his career up. Good riddence to an over paid TWAT. If I see you in Town Dyer, i’m gonna batter the hell out of you, you’ve been warned. DO NOT WALK THE STREETS OF NEWCASTLE!

• Kash

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:52 AM

Right, now onto replacements! I think this would be a good chance to bring in some stronger platers into our midfield. I’d really like some steel and some guile. For Guile, why not Diego, even though he’d be expensive. But what about Riquelme, he’s available and on fire!!!!! As for the steel, Emerson of Real Madrid. Both Riquelme and Emerson are going to provide alot of experience and alot of quality. They may be old but BSA has proven track record of prolonging careers. I don’t want to talk about the defence as it depresses me!

• Hammy

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:53 AM

The “family” story sounds like a load of bollocks…Dyers like a dog with two cocks…..sounds like he’s trying to wriggle out of the toon without getting too much abuse from the fans.
    Lack of transfer action is frightening…..there are always players available at the right price, pick up a couple of injuries against the Hoops hatchet men tonight and BSA will be sh**ting himself.
    I like Big Sam a lot but it looks like we are after world class freebies at the moment…….and like the chances of Sunderland staying in the Premiership,
    it’s not going to happen.
    Anyway I’m off to the game tonight so providing I get home in one piece I’ll post my findings tomorrow. Keep up the good work Ed.

• Hammy

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:00 AM

WoW Kash, I thought I may have been going overboard a bit with my Dyer comments…..but I don’t think there will be too many fans disagreeing with most of your comments, unfortunately looks like he’s gonna be another Gazza bless him……….but at least Gazza delivered on the pitch.

• Kash

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:12 AM

Gazza is a legend and a geordie (albeit born in Gatesheed), he’s not a twat like Dyer!

• Hammy

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:21 AM

True, but Gazza could have acheived so much more if he’d looked after himself off the pitch, you are a long time retired………..there are 52000 fans would play for free and with commitment, Dyer has taken the piss out of all of them.

• Dave

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Kash

Tone it down please. From Ed, “We would just ask you to be civil and as courteous as possible with your comments”

I understand your frustration but come on…

• paul p

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:27 AM

and he did’nt get paid £80k a week either, and gazza played more games than dyer bollickal too!!

• Ed Harrison

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:22 AM

Kash – just read all the comments – you know I get the distinct impression you don’t think too much of Dyer – just a shot in the dark. 😀
    Let’s try to keep it civil – we can certainly make our points without getting too carried away – and I know that’s difficult at times for us Geordies – especially when things have looked better – but hey – ups and downs are part of life – still have total faith in Sam – he’s just very frustrated because he wants what the fans want – very good players and he’s been thwarted for one reason or the other in last 2 weeks – nothing too wrong with that.

• apan

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:49 AM

The question is, WHY NOW???!?? He doesnt have any probs before didnt he until suddenly west ham pop up with the inquiry, now m.city and spurs are also on the hunt for him bloody hell such a disgrace if he leave now

• malaysian youngster

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:11 PM

let him go he is too expensive for his standard. waste of money.i think alot of player will like to being paid 80k but deliver much more than that twat.haha wat is actually twat?sorry if my english isnt that good and got lots of grammar mistakes.i supported newcastle since 1995 when i was 8. i just like the colour black and white.den found out it is a great team and enjoy seeing the spirits of the supporters chanting in a massive stadium.haha love you guys so much.

• Rich

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:12 PM

sounds like a poor excuse to me, i mean i have two questions.

1. If his family has lived in Ipswich since his move then why wait 9 years before actually making a fuss about it? i think someone else anwered it about the school girls in Jesmond.

2. Hes on 80K a week, why cant he just move his bird & two kids up here?

i think we should punt him for the right price, a few pople have mentioned it but i would have SWP over Dyer anyday.

• DZ Adams

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:08 PM

I’ll stick the boot in Kash,seen him poncing about in shields once in some souped up jeep,there wasn’t any bairns in the back.

• AndyT

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:22 PM

He’s on 80k a week, a private helicopter flight would put him about 70 minutes from Ipswich, about the same as he would be on the train from the east end of London (not that he’ll be getting that) and faster than driving. I don’t buy it for a minute, for the first time in 9 years he’s got to fight for his place with a manager who not only wont take the shit, but will calmly and rationally get rid. If he said this, then went to play for Ipswich on 10k a week – I’d have some sympathy. If he heads for London and spends his time clubbing it up in the west end – I’ll come and pick Kash up and take him for a night out in London if yer kna what I mean like!

• Hammy

Jul 26, 2007 at 2:05 PM

AndyT……….. nice one……….Dyer will need to brush up on his sprinting….

• Evan

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Not sure why West Ham is no keen on Kieron with the likes of Bowyer in the squad. Doesn’t seem that Curbishley is thinking long and hard about this one…

• Evan

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:53 PM

sorry… so keen*

• david veitch

Jul 27, 2007 at 11:11 AM

Dyer has always been injury prone and a big sulk. He was also one of the leading members of the brat pack who managed to disgrace this club and made Bobby Robsons life hell.
    He should have been put on the transfer list at the time the surplus to requirements sheet was worked out.