Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today in no particular order of priority.
The big news this morning is on the excellent victory and good display against Scottish Champions Celtic. Newcastle ran out worthy 4-1 winners with 2 goals from Luque and one each from Martins and Milner.
Here are all five goals from last night’s Newcastle – Celtic game if from a Celtic viewpoint
Other news is that it looks like Kieron Dyer will be leaving the club – it’s not clear where he will be going with Manchester City, Spurs and West Ham all in the running.
We would now expect him to move to one of the two London clubs since he wants to be nearer Ipswich and his two kids and long term girlfriend.
- Newcastle played very well last night against a strong Celtic side and the game was vuirtually over at half time as Newcastle went 3 goals ahead courtesy of two from Luque and one from Oba Martins. Luque looked a lot lot better than last season and although Celtic got a goal back in the second half James Milner scored a lovely goal right before the final whistle – to make it a convincing win for the Magpies. We are looking forward to the game against Juventus on Sunday afternoon. A good crowd of just over 30,000 were at the game. Geremi was voted Man of the Match for his simple but graceful play in midfield.
Geremi – Man of the Match
- Lots of stories today that Kieron Dyer will leave Newcastle – though we’re not sure to which club. A report is in the Sun that he will be going to Manchester City for Â£4.5M and then a later report from the BBC says he is headed to Spurs for a Â£5M fee. He wants to move to the south so not sure Manchester City would be a good move – and Spurs may not pay his Â£80K/week wages – which may make West Ham the favorites – though they are saying Â£5M for Dyer is pie in the sky. We’re fairly sure he will be leaving the club though.
Kieron Dyer – Leaving – but to which club?
- Albert Luque had a good game last night and scored two opportunist goals. Sam has been talking about Albert and he was interested in taking him to Bolton a few years back when he was at Real Mallorca with Samuel Eto. Allardyce is dedicated to first getting Albert really fit and then if he can do that – and Albert continues to apply himself in training – Sam sees no reason why Luque can’t have an impact at Newcastle. We certainly hope so – and really wish the newly married Luque all the best for this coming season.
Albert Luque – good game last night
- While Newcastle gave a solid performance last night we still sustained two injuries to Nicky Butt and Steven Taylor. The victory has certainly lifted Newcastle fans’ spirits – but Sam was unhappy that we sustained another couple of injuries. He talked about the injuries last night and laments the growing injury list. He also points out that Steven Taylor is still very much learning his trade.
Late news from the Evening Chronicle says that Taylor’s injury is minor – but still awaiting news on Butt’s injury.
Nicky Butt– good game but injured
- Oba Martins had a good efficient game last night and neatly put away his chance after 11 minutes. Oba has come out today and said he is not leaving Newcastle and is extremely happy at the club. That’s really good and we suddently find ourselves with six good strikers. Viduka, Owen, Martins, Ameobi, Luque – and young Andy Carroll who continues to look good.
Oba Martins– staying at Newcastle
- Here’s some funny football quotes – to lighten up the day. 😀
“The goals made such a difference to the way this game went.” – John Motson
“The difference between Everton and the Queen Mary is that Everton carry more passengers!” – Bill Shankly
“Don’t do that. This might be someone’s life.” – Bill Shankly reprimanding policeman who threw Liverpool scarf away while Shankly was doing lap of honor
Reporter: Where will Marion Pahars fit into the team line-up? – Gordon Strachan: Not telling you! It’s a secret.
The Great Bill Shankly – epitomized passion
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.