Newcastle fans probably woke up feeling good this morning after a good win against Juventus yesterday afternoon.
But then after that first cup of coffee remembered that however well the lads played yesterday Sam Allardcye is still desperately short of defenders by his own admission.
We’ll take a look at what’s happenieng today with Newcastle and it’s nearly all on the transfer front.
- In case you haven’t yet read our report on the game here is is again. Fairly detailed report on the game and who played well. Quite honestly nearly everyone had a good game as did the youngsters who were brought on in the second half. We know we need experienced defenders quickly – but we think in a couple of years a number of our youngsters will be Premiership class players.
Here are the two Newcastle goals on video – and here is the Man of the Match and our captain yesterday – Shay Given.
Shay Given – Man of the Match yesterday
- Some words today about the game yesterday from Sam Allardcye. He says two things basically. He was delighted by the performance of Newcastle yesterday including the youngsters. But that doesn’t take away the fact he is still very short of players and is therefore continuing to concentrate on the transfer market to get those three defenders into the club asap. Sam is still furstrated and the body language when he was sitting next to Chariman Chris Mort did not look good during the game. There is something going on – and it probably is that he now has restricted transfer funds. Not what he was told when he took the job.
Sam Allardcye – still frustrated by lack of signings
- We have a piece today on the nightmare scenario. Let’s say Sam is unable to sign defenders before the Bolton game – or else they come in too late to make the first game. What is our best back four right now with the players we have. We make a choice and have had lots of comments so far. Take a look and let’s have your ideas too.
David Rozhenal – cool play be Czech Republic player yesterday
- Since Sam says he has to look outside of England for his defenders – because none suitable are still available here – we look at four foreign full backs that may be able to make the grade at Newcastle – and who are currently still available.
22 year old Giorgio Chiellini of Juventus– played second half against Newcastle yesterday at left back
- We profiled Brazilian Chaudio Cacapa on this site back on June 3rd. He was available then on a free transfer from Lyon. He had been with Lyon since 2001 and had become their club captain. A story yesterday in the Sunday Sun said that Alalrdcye was being offered Claudio on a free but we heard today he has signed for a club in Quatar. So if did want him – he’s not available now. We look at the player we missed out on today.
Brazilian Claudio Cacapa
- News today in the Evening Chropnicle that we are after PSG youngster Boukary Drame. He has just turned 22 and is thought to be one of the best young defenders in the French league – although he plays for Senegal at the national level. We take a look at what our chances of signing the player are – and also take a look at the player himself. He is big friends with David Rozehnal who of course was also at PSG.
Senegalese Boukary Drame – Newcastle are after the left back
- Here’s some funny football quotes – this time from the great Johan Cryuff – to lighten up the dayÂ Â 😀
“When I come home after a sports analysis show and my wife asks, ‘What did you say?’ I reply, ‘I have absolutely no idea whatsoever.”
“The cleverest do math, the next-best write books. Dancers are the cleverest with their feet, next are footballers.”
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”
“It’s better to fail with your own vision rather than following another man’s vision.”
Johan Cryuff – in his playing career for Holland
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.