News today that we may be signing Alan Smith from Manchester United – reported via the Manchester Evening news. Not exactly what we need but Alan is a good player and it looks like Dyer is being moved on.
The problem Kieron may have is whether any club will be willing to pay him â‚¤80K/week in wages plus the â‚¤5M transfer fee Newcastle is demanding – for a player who has been injured so much and whose form has never been consistent.
He may soon find out he is so much better off at Newcastle than he thought. Oh, we almost forgot – there’s always West Ham 😀
Let’s look at what’s happening today with Newcastle United Football Club.
- News today in the Manchester Evening news that Smith is meeting with Allardcye today to discuss personal terms. Four clubs are after Smith with Middlesbrough and Everton being two of them. We don’t really need Smith right now but he’s a good player who can play in midfield and as a striker – so he’s flexible wherever Sam wants to play him. However, we’d think another striker is the last player we need right now.
Alan Smith – will Sam play him in midfield?
- If Sam Allardcye has really been restricted to just â‚¤10M in transfer funds we take a long hard look at the situation and come up with a solution – albeit unpopular but in any case pragmatic. If you take a look at the strikers we have and include Luque and Carroll we have six good strikers and one is expendable. Which one? To get the maximum money to fund defensive transfers it has to be Oba Martins. So we suggest this as a possible solution to Sam’s dilemma and we don’t expect it to be well recieved. But it is a solution – but only if Sam can sell Martins quickly. Any other solutions are requested – assuming no more transfer money will come from Ashley – which we still find hard to understand.
Oba Martins – sacrificed to fund defensive reinforcements?
- OK – news from Sam saying it is not true that he will have to sell Oba to generate sufficient funds to buy defenders. In our report we suggested it was a way to generate funds if he didn’t have any – so one way to interpret this is that he will get adequate funds – that’s good.
At the same time Sam has come out with the statement of denial – unfortunately Alan Oliver says he can now reveal that it is indeed true that Sam will have to sell Oba to generate funds for transfers. Bad timing Alan. 😀
By the way we don’t like the bit at the botom of the report about Fulham being in talks with Charles N’Zogbia – surely we are not going to sell one of our brightest prospects for the future?
- To follow our story yesterday about four foreign full backs for Newcastle we follow it up today with five foreign center-backs for Newcastle. If we can just get at least one good left back and one good center-back the squad would be so much better and then we could always strengthen in January with Edmilson and others coming in. It’s not like our first 10 games are that difficult because we don’t meet any of the top four during that time. Take a look at the article – and let us know if there is anyone there we should get?
Fabricio Coloccini – Argentinian and Deportivo La Coruna Center-Back
- We have placed an article up trying to understand if the story of having just â‚¤10M in transfer funds is true and if it is – what’s going on? In short – when an English Billionaire buys a club you would expect funds to be made available to bring better players in. Also, it isn’t good business not to invest right now. Are we going to save money at the expense of finishing 12th next season? It just doesn’t make any sense to us at all. Take a read and let us know what you think – we just hope it isn’t true.
Chris Mort – new Newcastle Chairman – are sufficient funds available?
Other bits of transfer news:
- Sam Allardyce may be leading the chase for Bolton giant Abdoulaye Faye (Daily Mirror). Sammy Lee will apparently start a bidding war for contract rebel Faye after deciding to cash in on the Senegal international (The Sun). Midfielder turned defender Faye, 29, has been solid in his two seasons at Bolton and his performances have more than repaid the Â£750K Big Sam paid Lens for him. He’s could be worth between Â£3m and Â£4m. Let’s go get him.
- Surprising news that Fulham may be after our own Charles N’Zogbia who was our man of the match against Juventus. Let’s not sell Charles – he just has far too much potential to let go – keep him – he will find a way to be a first teamer this season.
- Finally here’s some funny football quotes – to lighten up the day 😀
“A miracle to be here?, No, we just came by plane.” – Trinidad and Tobago Coach Leo Beenhakker when asked if it was a miracle that his team was at the World Cup.
Radio reporter: “The fans are right behind you, Jim.” Smith: “Well, let’s hope I can shake them off before we reach Watford.” – Then Birmingham and ex-Newcastle manager Jim Smith
“I’m no Brad Pitt, but there’s worse out there than me” – Gennaro Gattuso when asked about his looks.”
Gennaro Gattuso – getting a new hair do?
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.
Please keep your comments civil with decent language because we know we have lots of youngsters reading the site – and we want to keep it that way – thanks.