News today that we may be close to signing one or two new players in the near future.
That comes from Sam himself in an interview. We look at who the two players could be – who we think could both be defenders.
News that Oba Martins will not be leaving the club – and in fact the news is that Newcastle are renegotiating his contract to remove the release clause of â‚¤13M. Lots of news today – mainly positive.
Let’s look at what’s happening today with Newcastle United Football Club.
- We put out a story very early this morning ebcause it looked liked good news. Sam was interviewed and said newcastle were very close to one and maybe two new signings in the near future.
It certainly looks like one of those is Serbian International center-back (can also play left back) Ivca Dragutinovic who played last year in the world cup for Serbia and is now at Sevilla. He is 31 years old, 6′ 1″ tall and seems the classic Allardyce type defender. Played 33 times for Serbia and reports say that Newcastle will pip Manchester City for him by bidding more than the â‚¤2M Erikkson bid. A Newcastle delegation is reported to be in Sevilla right now to try to tie up the deal.
We didn’t know who the other player may be so we took a shot – and thought it may be Boltonâ€™s Abdoulaye Faye. The 6â€² 1â€³ midfielder turned defender has played well at Bolton and may want to join his former manager at Newcastle. There are reports today that he may have signed a new contract with Bolton but that’s not fully confirmed. We have pieces on both their playing careers in the article above.
Serbian Ivaca Dragutinovic – Newcastle in Sevilla negotiating deal?
- News that we half expected today is that West Ham are the only club really after Kieron Dyer. Tottenham couldn’t play his phenomenal wages (â‚¤80K/week) but are only willing to pay â‚¤4M. Sam has turned the offer down – quite rightly. There’s no way we should let Dyer go for a reduced fee. We’re still not sure about that family problem because as far as we can see – he must have had it for at least a few years.
Kieron Dyer – Will any club meet Newcastle’s price?
- An upbeat interview today from Sam with the Journal. Maybe Sam is upbeat because he feels he is close to two signings but he’s very upbeat and positive. He says everybody from the top down to me (?) are working all guns blazing to bring in new defenders. We certainly get that impression and that the management are working together with increased determination – good for them. Take a look at the article and it will cheer you up we think. We don’t want to beat the gun (so to speak) but it does appear we will have at least one new defender at the club within the next day or two. Now let’s think when was the last time we said that? Maybe yesterday 😀
- The Sam Allardyce meeting with fans at Shearer’s Bar last night went ahead and we have a list of the Sam comments. Sam was very upbeat and addressed a wide ranging view of topics. We have to say Sam’s vision for the club looks spot on – and he even talked about wanting to build up our Youth Academy to the like of Manchester United and West Ham. We are huge supporters of that direction. he also commented on fast rising star Andy Carroll and compared him to the old fashioned center forwards of old. We think Andy’s going to be a big star – at Newcastle too. Very interesting reading from Sam – as per usual.
Andy Carroll – future top star? – we think so
- Newcastle Chairman Chris Mort has voiced his dissatisfaction at a group of Newcastle supporters who have booed Kieron Dyer and generally made his life difficult over the last few days. Here is the short report on Sky Sports. Here’s what Chris had to say:
“We have got to make all our current players and potential new signings see Newcastle as a great place to live.”
“It would be disastrous for the club for this sort of behavior to be repeated.”
We agree completely with Chris on this one and we are pleased he came out and made the statement. We have to be very sensible about these things and Dyer has his good points and bad points – like all of us. Please let’s show respect to the player and no more booing – or anything else for that matter. Let’s keep Newcastle fans the very best 😀
Chris Mort – Newcastle Chairman issues appropriate statement on fans’ poor behavior towards Dyer
- Excellent report from Paul Gilder of the Journal on Oba Martins and that Sam is adamant he will not be sold to fund defensive transfers for the club. This story apparently was initiated by Alan Oliver who has been left probably a little embarrassed by all of this. Looks like Newcastle are renegotiating Oba’s contract to remove the â‚¤13M release clause. Another piece of good news – boy this is getting hard to take this morning 😀
If you were Oba would this action by Sam make you feel wanted – sure would – that’s why Sam gets so much out of his players – he believes in them.
Oba Martins – No way is he leaving Newcastle and contract being renegotiated to omit release clause
- Good report in the Journal this morning on Peter Ramage. Peter talks about his first team chances this season and the fact that it will be a huge season for him. It’s a good story – again from Paul Gilder.
Peter Ramage – this season is huge for him
- Surprising news that Fulham may be after our own Charles N’Zogbia who was our man of the match against Juventus. Let’s not sell Charles – he has too much potential to let go – keep him – he will find a way to be a first teamer this season.
This was in yesterday’s reports and still hanging around today so we’ll leave this one in.
- OK – let’s think now, is there anything else. Oh yes – don’t we have a game today?
- Finally here’s some funny football quotes – to lighten up the day 😀
“You would not have won if I was marking you.” – Claudio Gentile, retired Italian defender of the 70s and 80s after Keegan won European Footballer of the Year in 1978
“Sometimes you lose and sometimes others win.” – Otto Rehhagel
“If I walked on water, my accusers would say it is because I can’t swim.” – Berti Vogts
“I can only ever dream of the kind of skill Ronaldinho has. To put us on par is an insult to soccer” – Gennaro Gattuso being told he had become the face of last year’s world cup after Ronaldinho’s poor performances
Gennaro Gattuso – to be on par with Ronaldinho is an insult to football?
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.
Please keep your comments civil and decent because we know we have lots of youngsters reading the site – and we want to keep it that way – thanks.