Newcastle’s Dyer Moving Out But Several Will Come In

Kieron Dyer is expected to complete his transfer to West Ham today.

With manager Sam Allardyce holding out for more money yesterday the fee is now said to be ₤6M which is a good price given all the circumstances.

We could talk about what Dyer could have done under Sam Allardyce for weeks (we think he could have been a revitalized player with Sam) but once Dyer leaves we need to move onto more important things happening at the club.

kierondyerpa_468×609.jpg

Kieron Dyer – moving to West Ham as expected

Dyer will go down at Newcastle as one of our undisciplined (if good) players in the Bobby Robson era and is joining a similar player, Craig Bellamy at West Ham. Manager Allardyce has stuck by his guns to let any player leave who is not happy at the club – good for him.

Sam will have now brought in ₤13M in transfer fees and has paid out around ₤8.8M. He has sold two players and brought in four so far.  It looks like we will see more players coming to Newcastle with Alan Smith likely being the first one -unveiled as early as today.

This is what Big Sam said last night:

“There might be an interest in Alan Smith now,””Has there been a bid made for Alan from Newcastle? There have been many bids made.”

“I think we’ll be close by the end of the week to maybe one or two players, I would hope.”

“Then after that I would look to get at least another two or maybe three in because if Kieron goes, whoever comes in to replace him, that’s only one for one, so it’s not actually improving the squad in terms of strength in depth. “

“There’s still three or four players need to be got on top of whoever we replace Kieron with.”

Those are words that will be recieved well by Newcastle fans with some hope that our squad will indeed be big enough this season. Two players in before Sunday’s game with Sampdoria would be good.

We are unsure if Alan Smith is a one for one replacement for Dyer because Smith is really a striker who has expressed a wish to play more in that position. We have six very good strikers now – with young Andy Carroll looking more accomplished in every game. Nobody is leaving so we can only assume Sam will play Smith in midfield.

Smith is a good player and it will be refreshing if a deal is done quickly. He will be a good addition to the side but where he plays will remain a bit of a concern until Sam addresses the situation.

We wish Kieron Dyer all the best at West Ham (although not when he plays against us). Newcastle United have also treated him so well – and paid him so well – over the last eight years. We hope Kieron is appreciative of that.

Finally, we are impressed with the professional and quick way in which Sam has handled a difficult situation – he is a great manager and a good man for Newcastle.

Comments very welcome but please be civil and keep the language decent – many thanks.

• Midjew

Aug 2, 2007 at 8:52 AM

Well its a shame Dyer is leaving but if he gets injured alot next season we will be kissing that 6m.

BUT i DO NOT get the Alan Smith choice, i DO prefer him in MD but i know that he doesn;t really like that position, UNLESS all i can think is Big Sam said he likes 4-3-3.

SOOOOO maybe he will play Smith just of 2 strikers more of a 4-3-1-2 formation then smith should be happy there, i am very curious but 1 signing is better than NONE!

Guess sam thinks well wings are covered more or less, centre has 3 players Smith can be Attacking MD

• Stami

Aug 2, 2007 at 8:53 AM

Dyer, your ending your career leaving NUFC, this is a BAD idea mate…

• Cuse

Aug 2, 2007 at 8:53 AM

Yeah – well done Sam. About time we got this wastrel away from SJP. Every seson he gets injured. Every season he comes back with 4 or 5 superlative games, promising to reach the potetnial he so obviously has. Every season he sinks into obscurity, appearing visibly bored with life in black and white. Personally, I think he’s gone to the club of his dreams – and can play in mid-table with the other 3 mags we didn’t need.

• Stami

Aug 2, 2007 at 8:55 AM

Smith is hot in the midfield! he is determined, wins most 50/50 balls, a real fighter! and has the ability to go forward! i would take him over Dyer, more diverse player! i hope he comes!

• Midjew

Aug 2, 2007 at 8:55 AM

If he WANTS to play in MD and IF he doesn’t get injured AGAIN!!!!

• steve

Aug 2, 2007 at 8:58 AM

Looks like BSA didn’t rate Dyer given his reported comments “My job now is to replace him, which shouldn’t take too long I don’t think”
    I reckon we’ve done well to sell him, while he sometimes looked fantastic racing forward there was normally very little end product. His injury record is abysmal and don’t forget he’s now 28, once his speed starts to wane he has very little else to offer.
    I wish him well at West Ham but as a footballer I think he’s to high maintainence for the return you get

• Dave

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:02 AM

I’m not sure Smith is the ideal choice either. We’re beginging to look very top heavy. If we do get him do you think Carroll will be off out on loan? Even then it’s a whole load of strikers.

On the other hand I don’t think Sam would bring him in under any illusions. Smith will know before he puts pen to paper where Sam wants him to play, how he’ll fit in to the team and how much he’s going to be played. If he doesn’t want to be behing two good strikers then he won’t come.

It’s a funny one, I don’t think that what he can give us, what he wants and what he costs, as well as the gaps in the rest of the squad, really adds up. Does anyone agree?

• simon

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:07 AM

I think Smith it being brought in to fill Barton’s position until he’s fit then he’ll play as a striker possibly in a front 3 including Viduka and Martins/Owen. Shola and Luque will play a lesser role.

This is good for me as he has the right spirit needed and has a lot to prove. I suspect he’ll prove a lot of people wrong when he does play as a striker I think he showed patches of what he could be like when he played in that position for Man U.

Overall great bit of business by Big Sam, I hope the quality of the defenders that follow him are of that ilk – Winners!

• Steely

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:10 AM

Good luck to Dyer at West Ham….I would take him any day over Smith! I cant believe BSA is putting so much time and effort into Smith when the defence is so weak though!!
    Does anyone else think Smith will be a rubbish addition to the squad?? I think he’s one of the most over-rated players in the premiership!

• Hammy

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:14 AM

Curbishley looks to be setting himself up for a fall……..as the spending goes up so do the fans and owners expectation levels…….methinks he’ll be on a sticky wicket after 10 games. Oh and do they have computers down at the west end of London? I’ve been trying to look at West Ham blog sites and they are wick (means the same as crap)
    As for 3 0r 4 new defenders I’m still sceptical…..
    come on Sam blow us away……

• Dave

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:15 AM

I don’t think he’ll be rubbish. Stami seems to think he’ll be the best thing ever. He’s OK but hardley the top drawer player we need to be looking for, especially at £6mil.

• Callum

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:21 AM

Listen to the video on sky sports, BSA says the reason it has been slow the last couple of weeks on the transfer front is because of a lack of quality of defenders available that are capabale of playing in the premiership NOT because of a lack of funds like the crappy media are printing 🙂

• Nick Stafford

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:27 AM

Give the man a chance we don’t know what ground work he has done in bring defenders in.
    Good bye Dyer hope you can fulfill your expectations at West Ham Ha Ha ha ha

• Kash

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:28 AM

In terms of how much we invested into Dyer, I think we received little in return! He was a great hype, but a big let down in my eyes!

• SAM

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:32 AM

Always liked Dyer but honestly he never delivered his potential.

For home games when we were dominating the opposition and needed a player to create/score a goal he frankly didn’t have the craft or lethal finishing capability.
    For away games when we are under pressure he didn’t have the physical presence/strength.

Regarding Smith as a replacement. I haven’t been too impressed with the lad but he will certainly be useful for away games. Regarding home games I can see him playing especially while barton is injured.

• Hammy

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:37 AM

Yeah bye bye Dyer….thanks for the er…. memories… who else do we have that can run the ball out for a goal kick that often??? but he hasn’t signed for the Hammers yet…..he still has his personal terms to negotiate, I’d love to sit in on that one……Well Alan, I’d like a night club next to the training ground,
    and my own private goldsmith with a smelter as I’ll need some bigger chains and rings and stuff, plus I’d like a V6 powered wheel chair for when I’m recovering from injury this coming season…..oh me hamstring is feeling a bit tight…… Come on toon fans lets hear some of the terms you’d like as a Premiership superstar……well we can dream.

• Dave

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:39 AM

A let down indeed. He could have excelled for us this season too, especially with bsa at the club.

Can’t beleive some idiots egged his house and mobbed his car though. Way out of order.

When all’s said and done I think he’ll go to WHam for more of the same – big city, big wage, big trouble, big spending, big injury, big dissapointment.

To end on a high note though there have been moments of complete Dyer class, absolute fotball professionlism, some of the best in the world…man you gotta love him! Clock this:

🙂

• Aussie geordie

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:42 AM

The only player who is left from the team I originally started supporting is completely gone except for Shayh Given. I’m an Aussie so forgive me for catching on a little late toon army but its a little sad to see nothing left of Bobby Robsons team….he’s certainly been my favourite manager so far. Lets hope Sam can get us some defenders although stuff it if he doesn’t well go attacking all day and score more than the rest like the old days I hear so much about.

• Hammy

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Dave,
    That was Kash……. although he’ll deny it….he’ll probably have an alibi for the car incident too.
    Enjoyed the link…. maybe should have let the scuffle run for a bit longer to see if Bowyer would lose his rag…..

• Dave

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Yeh he was a second or two away from frothing at the mouth style anger! Muppets. Well he’s get his SJP red card now.

• Ed Harrison

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Dave – good video – now the question is will there be a repeat performance at West Ham 😀

• Iain

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:11 AM

I think it’s a mistake to let Dyer go. I think Sam would have got the best out of him, and the new modern training regime would have meant he was less prone to injury.
    When he played well he was awesome, scaring the crap out of defenders down the wing, or bursting through the middle of midfield . Then there were odd occasions when he was played as a striker when he was pretty effective as well. Good luck to him, even if he was prone to off-field gaffs. At least I’ll be able to laugh at those more comfortably if he’s a Hammer 😀

Not that I don’t rate Smith. He’s a tough player, and always gives everything for the club. He’ll be a big success if he stays fit. But do we need another striker (his preferred position)? Or has BSA other plans for him, like Ferguson supposedly did, of turning him into the next Roy Keane?

The main question is where are the defenders we need though?

• david veitch

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:13 AM

Sam has now cleared out the bling boy’s and has a top class and l mean top class strike force.
    It looks like Alan smith will sign this morning and he is adaptable like a lot of the players Sam is bringing in.
    2-3 more in defensive positions and that is phase one completed for me if we finish 5-6.

• Phil

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Riquelme should be tha man to replace dyer, i dont undastand why we don’t try and buy him, im sure he’s available, its worth a try. he’s a class act, and he’s tha kind of player we need, sum1 creative. !

• Bosck

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Steely i like smith but not sure about whether he is whats needed unless he is playing midfield. I might be wrong but i get the impression allardyce might just be playing with the press on this one. he doesnt actually answer the question directly he just says there have been many bids made, never actually says one has been made for smith.

• ToonKing

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Alan Smith is one of my favourite players, he’s a typical english player.He’s strong , determined and has a heart of gold, a real fighter.

All u guys who say he’s not right right choice, will be loving him by December.
    Sam is doing an awsome job from my point of view, the players he released or sold were all primadonnas (Bramble, Dyer)or had no skill (Moore, Bernard etc), except maybe for Parker. But the players he brought in all are fighters , Geremi, Barton, hopefully Smith, Rozehnal, they are all dedicated players who will give their all for the Toon, they may not necessarily have God-like skills but they will fight till the last minute.
    Barton and Smith for me are the epitome of english footballers.

I agree with Simon, i think, that Smith will be a part of the strike-force in a 4-3-3, or play a CF role behind 2 Strikers + he can play in the CM or RM.

Plus i simply love the idea of Barton and Smith together, it’ll be a great season lads.

• ToonKing

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:56 AM

He’s had a horrific injury, and i think he’s still not mentally rocovered, but Sam will bring the Leeds out of him.

• ToonKing

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:57 AM

+ my girlfriend and her girlfriends and girlfriends mothers all love Smithy 🙂

• Phil

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:57 AM

I know lots of WH fans will say we never wanted to get rid of him but the running joke in my section of the stadium was when we commented on Dyer we would say “well he can run fast and ……….. well he can run fast….” etc. Oh well seemed funnier at the time.

• steve

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Alan Smith …. noooooooooooooooooooooo

• Steely

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Toonking:
    “…the players he released or sold were all primadonnas (Bramble…””

I just nearly fell off my chair laughing….that’s the funniest thing I have heard in a long time….Bramble….a primadonna…have a word!! lo
    🙂

• Steely

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:09 AM

I see from Sky News that Barton has actually been charged with assault, so god knows what that means RE: him playing for us….he could end up in the clink!!

• ToonKing

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Yeah well he may not be one in the traditional sense :), but he sure played like a one legged primadonna.

• nightfall

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:30 AM

what’s up with faye, diop bids? don’t forget…this year is ANC…

• Kein

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:33 AM

There has been much more negatives in the Dyer-Newcastle relationship than positives. We have been nurturing him and paying his expensive surgeries and treatments for many years. And the man has been crap after Bobby Robson’s time (one or two good matches doesn’t count). He’s quick, but can’t score..Also his wages are out of this world considering his achievements.

I wish him good luck at West Ham, but I have to admit that I´m really gutted if he starts delivering over there…

• Steely

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:34 AM

I reckon the Diop bid is paper talk. Not sure about the Faye move but Bolton seem very keen to hang onto him. I’m not sure he’s what we’re after but I suppose BSA knows him inside out so he’s best person to judge on that one.

• Steely

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Kein, I think Dyer is gonna have a corker this season – I really can see him turning good when he leaves us….typical bloody NUFC luck that one!!

• Steely

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:38 AM

On the Dyer fitness issue, but without wanting to start a bad rumour on a sensitive issue, does anyone know what his illness is? BSA has stated it will be with him for the rest of his life. Is it just me, or does anyone else think he might have something like HIV? I know that sounds really bad, but for the club to not want to disclose the nature of it, it must be something quite bad.

• Ross

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:40 AM

alan smith is a fighter. every time he pulls on the shirt he’s playing for, he plays like its his last game. full commitment, passion, everything.
    having a player like that is not only profitable on the field, but off it aswell. throughout the entire squad.
    and i’m sure he played the holding roll in mid at man utd for a wee while, and was rather good too.

• nightfall

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:38 PM

f*** smith… he’s too arogant…