It’s been a good day for Newcastle and of course for the Geordie faithful.
As if to put an end to the negative rumors that have been circulating around – it looks like the club recently launched a massive bid to bring in new players. Sam Allardyce only yesterday said Newcastle had made many bids for players .
It looks like quite a few of them are coming through.
Alan Smith signed today, we are very close on Claudio Cacapa for a free – and good breaking news today is that it now looks like we’ll get Ivica Dragutinovic from Sevilla for about â‚¤2.5M. Ivaca’s idol is Alan Shearer and he thinks it great if he can move to Newcastle United.
If we can indeed sign Capaca and Drago that will be 3 players the club has boughtÂ for around â‚¤6.5M. Those are great deals.
It’s only â‚¤6.5M becauseÂ there are rumors that Smith may have only cost â‚¤4M rather than the â‚¤6M being quoted in the press. Since Manchester United are a public company they must formally announce the transfer fee to the City – so we’ll know shortly.
- First things first – so here is the official signing of Alan Smith. He seems delighted to be at Newcastle and said some great things both about the club and Big Sam. SamÂ seems to have easily persuaded him to come to Tynesdie. He said 10 clubs were after him but as soon as he knew one was Newcastle that was it – good for him (and us).
Alan Smitht – Apparently the new strip has been ordered for him today – following the signing
- Great late breaking news from a competent source – Sky Sports – that Serbian defender Ivica Dragutinovic is close to completing a deal to Newcastle. Drago (nickname) is a big fan of Alan Shearer and says in his comments â€œI would like to play for Newcastle in the Premiership.â€Â Â Add that positive comment to the fact a transfer fee of â‚¤2.5M isÂ agreed with Sevilla and theyhave already signed Drago’s replacement – and it seems to us it’s a done deal.
Ivica Dragutinovic - Wants to sign for Newcastle United
- It appears that Newcastle have bid for Leighton Baines of Wigan. That seems to be true but Everton have always been first choice for Leighton from what we understand. However, he has told friendsÂ he is willing to move from the NW if a suitable opportunity came his way. We would still expect Everton to get Leighton but we fo believeÂ it’s true that we’ve bid for him.
But if Sam gets to talk to Leighton all bets are off and we wouldn’t be surprised if Sam can persuade him to join our revolution. Sam is starting to look like the perfect manager for Newcastle – at least in our view.
Leighton Baines – We put him in a famous strip – but if he signs for Everton we will switch it back to blue
- An article that is close to our hearts in terms of getting our players up to Sam’s standards of fitness. Unfortunately it looks like they are not even close. Good words from Sam about how he wants to get them fit and also cut down on the injuries. We have had 10Â players injured in pre-season – the worst record of all premiership clubs
That’s something Sam knows he has to correct quickly if we are to have the successful season we are all hoping for (and some of us praying for). Sam says the injuries are high because the players are just not fit enough.
Big Sam – Orchestrating the busy transfer traffic at St. James’
We noticed he’s lettingÂ more in than out
- Good words from Chairman Chris Mort on Alan Shearer’s role as world-wide Ambassador to the club and of course also some words for Super Sam. It’s interesting to note in the article that he’s asked Alan to do more in his Ambassador role at the club. We suspect that one thing Alan has done – and it looks very successful – is talk to Drago and convince him to join our great club.
Certainly Shearer is known and liked throughout the football world – and as Drago says I know all about Alan Shearer and Newcastle United.Â Â Newcastle United is there because that’s who his hero played for. That’s all to the good of the club and Chris Mort seems to understand that very well.
Chris also says glowing things about Sam – but we expect that now – because he deserves it
We like Chris Mort the more we hear from him.
Chris Mort – Now let’s think – who else can Alan persuade to join Newcastle – wonder if heÂ knows Ronaldinho?
- Our first article today when we expected both Smith and Cacapa to be announced as Newcastle players. It’s happened for Smith but no news yet on Cacapa and since it’s now 5:45 pmÂ in Newcastle it may not happen today – well we got one rightÂ Â
Claudio Cacapa – Still smiling because he thinks Newcastle will sign him – could happen tomorrow
- Late news that Falkirk have agreed a loan deal to sign Newcastle’s Dutch goalkeeper Tim Krul for six months, subject to a medical.
Bairns boss John Hughes said on the Falkirk late this afternoon:
“He’s one I’ve watched and been impressed by on a number of occasions,”
“I think it shows how far this club has come when we’re able to attract the Dutch Under-21 goalkeeper when there was English Championship interest.” “
That’s a good move since Tim needs games – now we’ll have to bring in a third goalkeeper – but there may be a bid already in there if Sam is willing to approve a loan deal for Krul.
Tim Krul – Young star keeper going on loan to Falkirk for 6 months
- Finally here’s some funny football quotes – to lighten up the day
“Of the nine red cards this season we probably deserved half of them.” – ArsÃ¨ne Wenger
“Too many players were trying to score or create a goal.” – Gerard Houllier
“You can’t say my team aren’t winners. They’ve proved that by finishing fourth, third and second in the last three years.” – Gerard Houllier
Gerrard Houllier – winners?
We always appreciate your comments on our Daily Update.
Please keep your comments civil and decent because we have lots of youngsters reading the site – thanks.