Mort’s Glowing Praise of Allardyce and Shearer

The Newcastle Chairman Chris Mort spoke yesterday to the Evening Chronicle about his meeting with Alan Shearer recently and about what he thinks of new manager Sam Allardyce.

Turns out Shearer is still the club’s world-wide Ambassador and Chris would like to expand Alan’s role in that position.

He gave both men high praise for the jobs they do for Newcastle – let’s take a look at what Chris said.

chris-mort-pensive.jpg

Newcastle Chairman Chris Mort

This is what Mort told the Evening Chronicle about the Shearer and Keegan stories of late:

“Yes, I have just met Alan Shearer and I have to say that he is a massive icon and that he is doing a fabulous job as an ambassador for Newcastle United.”

“That’s what we talked about, and we have several things lined up which we would like him to do so he can carry on his great work in this role.”

“And I am sure that while Alan may have ambitions to be manager of his club one day, he would probably say that he is not looking to do it at this moment in time.”

“And there is certainly no truth in any reports that we are looking to bring him in as a manager.”

“As far as Kevin Keegan is concerned, I have never talked to him and I have no intention of talking to him.”

This is a story we didn’t even bother to cover because we didn’t see how it could be true. Obviously some newspaper got knowledge of the fact that Mort had met with Alan and they put two and two together and came up with five. This seems to happen a lot with football stories and of course sometimes it’s really difficult to know which ones are true and which ones are just made up. We hope we’re learning but it’s not easy.

We would like to better understand what Alan does specifically in his role as club Ambassador. Don’t get us wrong – having Shearer still linked to the club is massive for us. Over here in the US they know very little about world football (soccer) but when we mention Alan Shearer they know the name and link it immediately with Newcastle United. That’s one way we can get name recognition which is what we need to become a great club again.

It’s interesting that Chris wants to expand what Alan does for the club and also it would be a good way for both Chris and Alan to keep communicating so that when the time is right to bring Shearer in as manager he can do that. But not before Allardyce has had quite a few years under his belt and maybe even takes Alan under his wing for a season or two. That would be a great follow-on solution for the club.

We cannot tell you how impressed we have been with Big Sam in so many different ways – not least of all the expert way in which he has handled the whole Dyer transfer affair. We’ll not even mention the great players he is bringing to the club for almost peanuts  😀

Chris then went on to talk about Sam:

“We cannot take any credit for bringing Sam Allardyce to Newcastle United because that was something Freddy Shepherd and his board did.”

“But we have absolutely no problems with that decision and no problems with the appointment of Sam.”

“For let me say that he is an absolute top manager. End of story.”

We agree completely with that assessment of Sam.

Comments welcome – please keep them civil as we do have lots of youngsters reading the site.

• Arthur Prince

Aug 3, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Good . The last thing I want to hear is any undermining of Sam in any way . I am sure Alan Shearer understands this . His time will come in the distant future when Sam decides to retire . Then I think Big Al will carry on . This to me sounds like a good long term plan for development and continuity which has long been lacking at the club

On a seperate note I see in the News feed that the Lancashire Evening Post is reporting that NUFC might be in for Leighton Baines . I s his the usual press hype or what . I think he would be a good catch though as well as the Drago

• Dave

Aug 3, 2007 at 8:51 AM

I’m liking Mort more and more. If you get past the press and actually listen to the guy he makes a lot of sense in a calm, intellegent manner. I am certain him and Sam are seeing eye to eye, and if not then they’re old enough and ugly enough to sort it out in a profesional manner off the back pages of the tabloids and without the leaks and the gossip.

Its just brilliant for the club.

I also picked this up this morning, don’t know if there is anything in it, apologies if it’s just anothre rumour. Are we looking at Baines again?

I hope so 🙂

• Dave

Aug 3, 2007 at 8:53 AM

Arthur Prince

You got there first, well done 🙂 I do hope we get Baines though I suspect Everton will get him as he used to play there as a youth. Fingers crossed though.

• Arthur Prince

Aug 3, 2007 at 9:07 AM

Dave ,

Thanks . I am not sure what it says about me that I sit glued to the computer looking for anything reliablewritten about NUFC . The best comments come from my fellow Bloggers . Ed seems a mine of information doesnt he . . Keep up the good work
    I rather hope Leighton Baines and similar players can see what the future at NUFC holds out for us . After so many false dawns I think we are finally getting somewhere so I feel very enthusiastic about it all like so many other commentators on this site . What a fan base this club has !!!!!

• Mick G

Aug 3, 2007 at 9:09 AM

I to hope we get Baines.I was dissapointed when we dropped out of the chase for Baines,being originally from Wigan myself,I’ve watched him quite a few times and I think he would be Brilliant for NUFC, here’s hoping.

• t-g-w

Aug 3, 2007 at 9:46 AM

Aye there are 2 stories circulating about Baines now. Great young player and a better bet than Dede who will cost more, is 29 and has no Prem experience.

3 or 4 signings next week? Drago, Diop, LB (Baines/Dede) and ???

• Chris

Aug 3, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Baines would be a welcome addition to our squad. He is currently nursing as hamstring injury though so I don’t know how long he will be out.
    Lets hope Smith and Cacapa sign today, it’ll calm my nerves a bit as we still have a pretty small squad, especially in defense.

• John Turrell

Aug 3, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Some excellent news coming out of the toon camp is that newcastle will be signing Smith today along with brazillian stopper Cappaca, he has a wealth of experience and will defo help the young guns learn their trade.

Big Sam has it sorted !!!

• Jacob

Aug 3, 2007 at 10:54 AM

I’m worried about Mort saying Shearer’s role is set to expand…as, er , dare I say it, mm, er, oh what the hell – Shearer’s influence at NUFC is too great. Thank God that’s out. Although I’m expecting to be struck by lightning or chastised by many for holding this view it’s something that’s rankled with me for five years now. Alan Shearer was a truly great player…no doubt: a credit to Newcastle United and very loyal, but who says he’ll make a great manager? How must Sam feel? Two weeks after getting the job he’s saying he expects Shearer to succeed him. He holds a talk in at Shearer’s bar and also hears Big Al’s being lined up to prematurely replace him. The fans worship Shearer, and fair enough.. but am I the only one who feels his influence has outgrown the club? Who’s to say he’d make a good manager? Who’s to say he should walk straight into the SJP hotseat without proving himself elsewhere first? Will he be given the chance to cut his managerial teeth on a top flight club like ours? These thoughts send a shiver down my spine and I hope a few other fans too. Shearer is the past and Allardyce is the present, and while I’ll always be greatful for the goals Big Al’ scored, I’ts time to drop our obsession with him and move with the times. There’s no guarantee he’s great at everything he does…just watch Match Of The Day at 11.15 pm while he’s commentating and stay awake…I dare you.

• StevieA

Aug 3, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Allardyce should be Director Of Football once he is finished managing. The man is a football genius and he should be kept at the club for the next 10-15 years.

Roeder should be brought back to look after the youth team in my opinion. Although I am not sure he would agree to this sadly.

Shearer is always involved in helping us to attract players and basically promotes the club every chance he gets. The man is a geordie through and through and he will go on to be a brilliant manager one day. Let’s not rush it though, give him time to develop his football knowledge and let Sam do his magic for the next 5 years at least before we even consider Shearer.

• Rich

Aug 3, 2007 at 12:09 PM

@ED HARRISON:

Your in the states? some advice man, id get out while yous still can! the dollar is getting devalued on a daily basis and will be as worthless as monoply money soon, also with the North American Union coming into force and the NAFTA Super highway & the Illegal Immigrant Amnesty Bill id be very carefuly over their! from everything ive read, i think the US has got a few more years before everything falls apart.

on a footballing note, im so excited about next week.. as usual weve left the bulkf of our transfers to the last minute but with players like Baines, Cacapa, Smith, Drag etc.. i cannot wait to see them 🙂

the mighty toon are making a comeback!!

• ende