Alan Smith Is Already a Newcastle Favorite – Here’s Why

If Alan Smith’s attitude is what Big Sam wants to see from his players, then that’s perfectly OK with us.

Alan seems the perfect professional and there’s another great interview today in the Newcastle Journal with Luke Edwards – and Alan gets to say quite a bit about his attitudes in football and about himself.

Let’s take a look at what Alan says – that’s all we need to do – it will be so refreshing for Newcastle fans.

alan-smith-and-sam.jpg

Sam and Smith
Two very happy people – a mutual admiration society

Luke Edwards and Paul Gilder of the Journal are getting very good interviews with the Newcastle players and management.  Here’s the latest one with Luke Edwards talking to Alan Smith. Alan seems already a crowd favorite and hasn’t even kicked a ball for our club.  Just listen to what he says and it will be very clear why that is the case.

This is what Alan told Luke today:

“I am an honest player and the interest from others comes because they know what they are going to get from me all of the time,”   “I am always hungry as a player to do as well as possible, both for my club and personally.”

“I have sacrificed myself for every club I have been at, playing out of position, because my duty is to the good of the team, not myself.”

“I spoke to Sam (Allardyce) who said I will be playing in different positions at Newcastle, but if a manager wants you to play, I will play anywhere. I’m happy to be versatile.”

“There were a few interested in me. People speak about my commitment and they know what they are going to get. However, a lot of people forget I can play as well.”  “I wanted everything done before the weekend so I could get a pre-season game in,”
“Since Sunday it has been a bit of a whirlwind.”

“We came back from Malaysia and that’s when I first got my head round the fact I was moving on. Once we got our heads round that we started speaking to other managers. “

“Once a club accepts a bid, you have to ask yourself if you are going to get the opportunity to go out and perform. You need that, but I don’t think I ever let myself down at United.”

“You can tell from the fans’ reaction they didn’t want me to go and that speaks volumes. I just thought it was time to move on. I’m 26 and I want to be making an impact on the first team.”

“I have come to be versatile, but if anyone is to see the best of me, I think that is at center forward. I enjoy playing in midfield, but perhaps a bit more attacking. However, if someone asks you to play wherever, you do it.”

“The fans’ side of things is difficult because Newcastle demand big things because there hasn’t been much success. I know that is what people want. However, Leeds and Man United demand 100% week in week out as well and Newcastle won’t be any different. I will be giving my all every time I pull on the shirt on and that is what supporters want to see.”

“Once I spoke to the gaffer he told me how much he wanted me to come and be part of what he is trying to do. That was enough for me.”

“I like what Sam is trying to create in terms of the stability and professionalism. He is trying to change it from what there was previously. He wants to give the players here and the club the best opportunity to win something. He wanted me to be part of that.”

Alan also has confidence in his own ability and epitomizes what it means to be a squad player. Obviously Sam must be tickled pink with getting  Alan. As Sam said yesterday he was just too good a player to pass up. We think he’s right – Alan is the type of player we want at the club – because he’ll give us 100% for every minute of every game.

Welcome to Newcastle Alan, it’s great to have you on board!

• Neil W

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Totally agree with ‘too good a player to pass up’

What a great attitude.

I do think that Owen and Viduka – v good players that they are, will still spend a third of a season unavailable so Smith will get his chance up front as well as across midfield.

Also Milner won’t get asked to play up front – where he clearly isn’t his best though always willing (rather alike those two).

Hopefully Andy Carroll will also get 10 plus games for us this season.

All so very promising!

• Big Sam Fan

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:35 PM

i agree on the pitch Smith has a great attitude, BUT when he was at leeds i regularry saw him getting wasted on a Saturday night in my local nightclub in York lets hope that he has put those days behind him as he had an eye for the ladies back then every time we met him he had a different lass on his arm, im praying that he doesnt end up like Dyer. I like the way he goes about things on the pitch, full of passion and pride. Heres to the new season and lets hope that we can infultrate the top 6!

• bw positive

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:37 PM

Best signing we could have made out of everyone we have on board. Hope he sees out every week of that 5 year contract and gets an extension. Great news when we signed him, still buzzing me tits off.

• Big Sam Fan

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Also i think we should get something going to get Chris Mort to where the Black and White at our first home game of the season, it would be the first chairman i can remember to ever have done this!!! go on ed lets get this going

• toon girl 4eva

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:41 PM

well done big sam..!!!…you av brought in quality signings so far and smith has probley been the best. hopefully we can get 3 more in b4 the transfer window shuts and im really glad tht smith has joined because he is a fighter and will give the toon fans alot of excitment this season and will give his all every match. so who thinks da toon will win anything this season..??? i reckon carling cup up 4 grabs for the toon army..!!!!

• Phil C

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:47 PM

I was skeptical at first about the Smith transfer, seeing that we now have 7 striking options at the club (not counting Dyer as an option) – it seemed like complete overkill.

But I trust Big Sam more and more each day, especially now that the defensive signings are starting to roll in, so come on Alan, show us what you’re made of son!

• AB

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Have a look on the bbc sport website at the interview with him (video). Just shows what players should be like and how they should address the press and fans alike. A model professional IMO and a great buy. Chequered past but seems to be on the ball (pardon the pun) now and I’m delighted he’s signed.

• AB

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:50 PM

PS I think with him on board, we now should have enough cover up front to let Carroll go out on loan this season. It’d do the kid a world of good to get a season of championship footy under his belt. Send him to Hull FC cus we know Brown will do a good job getting him a game.

• Murvar

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:58 PM

I’m sure Smith will be a success story at the Toon. And I’m sure that if he and Geremi and Barton are in midfield, other teams will know they have been in a game. But I’m just starting to be concerned that we will not find room for Nobby. He’s still got the guile and craft we need in that kind of midfield and I could see him playing in the hole just behind the fron two – like Pedro used to do later in his career. Just look at the ball he put Dyer in with at Watford in the last game of last year; alright, I know it was Watford but you know what I mean!

• Big Sam Fan

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:59 PM

just looked on skysports and baines is in talks with everton and us.

go on sam sell him the toon!!!

• Brian

Aug 4, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Smith and Barton in the same team, no one is going to be able to slack off, they wont allow anyone to have an easy game. Looks like we will captains right throughout the spine of team. Just what we need.

• Brian

Aug 4, 2007 at 4:09 PM

@ Big Sam Fan
    Bains is a Everton supporter so I don’t think he will end up here if its a choice between us and them.

• Rich

Aug 4, 2007 at 4:11 PM

^^ CONFIRMATION! BAINES IN TALKS!! WOOOOO!!!

Offer accepted, lets give him the BSA treatement!!! and hell choose us, just look at us we are the future!!!!!

🙂

ill be the happiest man on earth if we sign Baines 🙂

i think this shows you that Sam thinks we have enough experience in Defense with Capaca & Drag etc.. also enough heaight with those players + Smith etc… and im hoping it also means another tall player will be signed along side Baines & Enrique like Diop or someone, a midfield power house, another player to intimidate the other team etc..etc..

what a weekend 🙂

• Bazza_09

Aug 4, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Is it just me or is it not a little over kill to sign 3 left backs. Christ, i know we certainly needed a left full back and two would have been sensible given its a long season & you cant rely on Baba.
    However if we do buy Drago (good, experienced, solid, big – how SAM likes his defenders) then it makes absolute sense buying either Enrique or Baines (young, quick and skillfull) to give us options, but both of them??? I would be very surprised if we buy them all and Drago and Baines would be my bet.

Question: how does everyone feel Sam will keep all our top players happy when all are back from injury? Its a good problem to have but one he hasnt had to tackle thus far in his career.

• Keep Oba

Aug 4, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Well…Everton has been lowballing everyone on money this year and thats why they haven’t been able to get anyone in this summer. I think Everton is in a world of trouble this year with having to play the extra Europe games and with bringing in hardly anyone.

• Darryl Money

Aug 4, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Yeah, If you support Everton, and they come in.. theres only 1 place you would go.

Everton dont have a first choice left back anyway, so baines would fit right in. Altho, i would prefer it if he chooses Newcastle. would do him the world of good with the fans, if he choose Newcastle, over his supported team.

• Edd Case

Aug 4, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Baines wont sign for Newcastle, not a chance.

• boater

Aug 4, 2007 at 5:08 PM

Good point about nobby Murvar… the obvious outstanding performer of our pre-season AGAIN – it gets boring he’s such an evergreen. He is 31 now I think and only got a 1 season deal yet Cacapa got a 2 +1 at the same age… what does nobby have to do to prove himself to the club exactly. Jeeeeez enough talk about puffed out chests, bravery, commitment etc.. it does my head in at the toon… Smith gave an interview and he’s suddenly the local hero… we are not building a shed yee kna.. football is also about skill and technical expertise … with 5 mins to go to unlock a defense at home I would still have dyer in the side – even though he once – heaven forbid- objected to playing on the wing… but it’s alright to hospitalise a team mate etc… cos that’s commitment and we love that at the toon!! way aye yada yada…we need heart yes, but we need some guile in the mix as well… martins, zog going, dyer going? is bob the builder available ?- plenty of commitment aye… daft, daft, daft….

• Big Sam Fan

Aug 4, 2007 at 5:20 PM

brian, however much he is an everton fan we do have things in our favour. Everton will not offer the same in wages and opportunity and with have a secret weapon in Big Sam!!! he is a sales man and can sell our club to most and i expect if allardyce does want him he wont be able to turn us down!!! we are in the top 3-4 most progressive teams this summer and i believe he will want to be part of it. Ask yourself this…… who did GOD sorry Alan Shearer go to after Southampton??? i dont care what anyone says we were definately after him then!!!

• Steve

Aug 4, 2007 at 5:32 PM

I wouldn’t keep dyer he shows he has no bottle. You can have all the craft in the world but if you only show it 2 games a season how is that going to help the team. Yes we want players with skill but you need those players to be committed and use that skill week in week out. I think smith has got the right attitude for now but so did parker when he first arrived and that soon changed I hope it doesn’t with smith.

• nightfall

Aug 4, 2007 at 5:40 PM

f*&^ck… smith will be a first team player… instead of who he’ll play? martins? luque? n’zogbia? owen? i’m not happy with this transfer…especially ‘cos we’re not in europe and we won’t have so many matches… n’zogbia deserves a chance, we know martins should play and luque is comming back…so…. why do we need smith again? that egoist who doesn’t know what fair play is???!??!?! i’m not angry, but i will be disapointed if he’ll play instead of somenone who is talented and who showed us commitment…someone who deserves to play…

• iluvnufc

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Check out the Wigan FC website and on there they say Baines is a LIVERPOOL fan! So what money now he elects to go to Everton?

• iluvnufc

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:07 PM

• AlexW

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:17 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/6931351.stm if u reed that, it dont like we are getting baines 🙁

• Neil W

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:17 PM

Nightfall,
    Completely disagree.

N’Zogbia – good player but first football is earned, not a right.

Smith brings depth and quality and means that should our players lacking in character (or seemingly so) such as Dyer or the more delicate ones (Owen, Viduka, Emre, Zog himself) get injured we have the strength in depth to cope.

This is all good news.

As far as I am concerned any Toon player not wanting to have to compete for his place can form an orderly q at the exit. Let them go play for Wigan infront of 12 or some such.

And just let me say for the millionth time – THANK HEAVEN BRAMBLE WILL NEVER PULL ON A NUFC SHIRT EVER AGAIN!

• michael

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Baines and Smith are two players who would not have made the cut if we had moved earlier in the window. I really wanted Hypia and Silvestre. Whilst Enrique and Cacapa may be “legendary” I haven’t seen them play and am wary that they may be Marcelino or Dumas all over again. Actually I have seen Cacapa play twice in the CL for Lyon against Man Yoo and I remember thinking he had a touch of the Philipe Albert’s about him.
    And I am getting very frustrated about all these folk calling for a RB. We just signed one like a month ago, he’s quite good too. Won the EPL (I love that the Premiership is a forgotten name) twice and the African Cup of Nations, plus the Carling cup and FA cup. Thats more than NUFC in the last 50 yrs. Plus a fairly competent back up in the experienced international right back Stephen Carr. So quiet please, lets have no more nonsense. The only defenderd we need to sign now are very very good ones who will raise the standard of the team by forcing their way in.
    On the subject of Ameobi and Dyer. Give them 6 months and if they haven’t forced their way into the 1st team sell them to the championship!

• michael

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:38 PM

And I know a put that link up often but it is soooo funny.
    P.S. See if you can spot Shearer, Owen, Bernard and Ketsbia in this one.

• futhermuckin toon lover

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:40 PM

we still need more fresh faces even with the arrivals of smith, viduka, geremi, rozhenal, enrique and capaca. Drago looks set to go through too so its looking up finally but i think we should drop baines and persue a quality holding midfielder and or left mid. we’re gonna need strenght in depth for a top 6 finish.

• AlexW

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:35 PM

DYER DEAL ENDED, we keeping dyer by looks of it, but we dont need him now surley>

• Rich

Aug 4, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Drago is an out and out LB hes more of a CB who can play LB if needed, i think sam signed him with the view of CB. and youll have Enrique & baines (hopefully) battling out for LB.

Baines is a Liverpool supporter so i hear, and even if he wasnt surely he knows their would be a greater future ahead of him at the Toon? surely?

• Rich

Aug 4, 2007 at 8:14 PM

^^ i meant he is NOT an out and out LB….

• Craig Allen

Aug 4, 2007 at 8:17 PM

I suspect a better offer might have come along …

• firehead

Aug 4, 2007 at 8:26 PM

i hope he comes to us because if he gose to everton he will just become rubbish like james beatie

• dave bulman

Aug 6, 2007 at 1:16 AM

would like to get baines but think he will chose everton,we should snap up nick shorey who has refused a new contract with reading,he has proved a very good player with reading.i disagree with nightfall,alan smith is a great signing and didnt cost silly money,hes only 26 and will give his all to the toon.owen and viduka will miss alot of season with injuries so smith and martins could be a great partnership.he gives us depth and will play anywhere hes needed to.the players sam has brought in with not much money is excellent,he seems to be very respected by players.sort out our debts and get a big name signing in janurary to show or intent, could do with a big match player in midfield that can create out of nothing and win matches.exciting times ahead,we wont be so easy to beat this season.

• Dumers

Aug 6, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Gr8 signing for the toon faithfull! hes versitile so adds depth and stength to our growing, quality squad! We all know we are jinxed club when it comes to injuries and smith is the exact player we need to cope with these problems. Jose siging today gives us that quality at left back which we all know we needed and drago looking like hes ready to sign..we will have 4 decent centre halves all fighting for first team football which is not a bad thing..i still feal we need a couple of new faces. another left sided player like baines would be decent..as people are saying hes a liverpool fan which must make us favourites to sign him..potential european football next season, playing infront of 53,000 fans every week, a new era with a new chairman and playing under one of, if not the best managers in the league!! if thats not tepting for someone trying to get into the england squad i dont know what is. he can play left back most importantly but alos gives us an option of left midfield if needed which is nice! another player which would be a good addition is Pappa Diop from fulham..hes way to good to be there..they look set for relegation this season if they play anything like they did against QPR the other day! they arnt going anywhere and he knows he can make the starting 11 at the toon being that defencive, solid player, taking over from scott Parker and butt!! he can only be a success really! if we can make these sigings our team looks potentially a top 5 club!! HOWAY THE LADS!!!

Given

Geremi

• Dumers

Aug 6, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Given

Geremi Taylor Cacapa Enrique

Milner Barton Diop Duff

Owen Viduka

Subs: Harper, Rozenahall, diop, smith Martins

Reserves to fall back on..solano, nzogbia, drago,ameobi,emre,luque, carr, babyaro, baines, Butt, carroll, Krul!! not looking to bad me thinks!!