The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Dragutinovic Transfer Can Give Newcastle Four Deals in One Day

8:27 am, Saturday, August 4th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 31 Comments

Ivica “Drago” Dragutinovic, as we reported late yesterday, is ready to sign for Newcastle on a reported three year deal. Manchester City were neck and neck with Newcastle after Drago rejected Roma’s advances, but now Sam Allardyce’s side are set to sign the player imminently.

If that happens this morning it will bring Sam Allardyce’s and Newcastle’s transfer signings to four within a short spell of 24 hours.

While this may not happen at least we can say four definite Newcastle transfer deals were announced within 24 hours and two actually were completed.

That has to be some kind of record for the club.

ivaca-dragutinovic-125.jpg

Ivaca Dragutinovic
Smiling because he’s joining Newcastle  :D

Newcastle fans had been getting agitated at the lack of signings over the last four weeks and Sam himself has admitted Newcastle have missed out on a number of opportunities due to the lack of speed in getting the deals completed. Sam himself was openly frustrated last week, along with the fans, by Newcastle lack of progress in the transfer market.

Successful people take failure and see how they can learn from it. What seems to have happened earlier in the week is that Newcastle’s  management decided to really get going in the market. It appears they may have put in multiple bids for players – possibly all at once – sometime earlier in the week.

While we’ll never know exactly if that’s what happened, whatever it was worked like a charm.  Sam mentioned on Thursday that Newcastle had put many bids in for players. Looks like they did and four seem to have gone through and signed within a day – which is just phenomenal.

While the fans have blasted Newcastle in the past for ineptitude in the transfer market, generally for valid reasons, this is a time to stand back and admire the management team who have have pulled off some very good tranfer deals for the club. Looks like they really worked together  as a team and that is an excellent sign for the futue. The fact that at least two players were openly vocal about wanting to join Newcastle doesn’t hurt either.

As in all good team work – success seems to have been theirs.

Now we look forward to watching the team of of Newcastle United gel on the football field this season and we could surprise or even shock a lot of people – including ourselves.

Sam has looked like he was made for the Newcastle manager job and is more determined than ever to bring success – and good players – to Newcastle. He knows this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and is determined to take the chance with both hands. Looks like he’s going to become Sir Sam sooner rather than later – and Chris Mort is starting to look like a good partner for Sam – we certainly hope so.  England really missed out on Sam – but it’s to Newcastle’s gain – and it’s a big gain as we are all starting to realize.

Comments always welcome – please keep them civil – thanks.

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

31 responses so far ↓

• 1 joe // Aug 4, 2007 at 8:54 AM

We’ve only agreed a fee with Villareal for Enrique. So really, he won’t be signing until next week.

Still chuffed though! :)

• 2 doug // Aug 4, 2007 at 8:54 AM

All this gushing about how good Sam and Mort are is cringing. But, I agree with it.

• 3 george t // Aug 4, 2007 at 8:56 AM

what a 24 hrs …..super sam and well done …..looking forward to a good season…..and a few surprises for the rest !!!!!!!!

• 4 Rich // Aug 4, 2007 at 9:02 AM

so thats Smith, Capaca, Drago & Enriuque… im still hoping for another 3 players next week :)

• 5 Rich // Aug 4, 2007 at 9:03 AM

am i greedy?

• 6 george t // Aug 4, 2007 at 9:18 AM

i see nicky shorey has rejected a new deal at reading………is he heading for TOON ……i wonder

• 7 Ben // Aug 4, 2007 at 9:18 AM

not at all….i would like to see baines/shorey..silvestre [maybe even heinze] and enrique and drago..? duno the rest of his name complete there transfers

• 8 Ben // Aug 4, 2007 at 9:21 AM

mort seems good…but ashley sounds like a stingy f***

• 9 TOON1 // Aug 4, 2007 at 9:25 AM

Ive just read what big sam said to the chronicle and it sounds like after drago & enrique there will be at least another 2 signings .Also he said he is possibly signing the biggest signing yet .Wonder who that could be ???deco maybe?.Iregret what i said about the new owner,seems like he just waiting til the turn of the month!! lol

• 10 carl // Aug 4, 2007 at 9:28 AM

anyone know much about enrique??

• 11 Nicci // Aug 4, 2007 at 9:36 AM

Well done Sam. Can i just ask what people think? Do you think Newcastle should bring the big flag back to be seen in the crowds as it was during keegans time?

• 12 Rich // Aug 4, 2007 at 9:40 AM

still no artcile on Capaca signing for us Ed???

your loosing your touch man!

• 13 StevieA // Aug 4, 2007 at 9:43 AM

It’s looking good. The back line should be much more solid than previous seasons.

We still need a right back though unless one of these players such as Enrique or Cacapa can play at right back too.

Shorey could be a possibility. We don’t need many more players though once these players are signed up. Maybe a right winger but Geremi can play there for the time being so it’s not urgent.

I am really happy with the squad. If the transfer of Dyer to West Ham falls through then we should loan him to them to get him off the wage bill.

• 14 ToonKing // Aug 4, 2007 at 9:43 AM

@Goerge: I’ve seen the Shorey thing too, and have a feeling that he’s coming to to SJP.

I dunno how many players we are going to sign, i’m just gonna let Sam suprise me, he’s so good at it. lol :)

• 15 nightfall // Aug 4, 2007 at 10:11 AM

cacapa, enrique, rozehnal, drago…all players from other leagues… wasn’t sam after players with premiership experiences?

• 16 apan // Aug 4, 2007 at 10:12 AM

shorey or baines oh boy things keep getting better and better, bye bye babayaro and ur 60k pay bill, mayb some of our youngsters are going on loan as well i wonder?

• 17 Ed Harrison // Aug 4, 2007 at 10:16 AM

nightfall – yes he was – but Sam said he would have to look outside England for the players – this is his plan B. Loved to have known the players we missed out on in Plan A.

• 18 Tom_Toon // Aug 4, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Hes said there would be 4 signings after the two confirmed yesterday. So Jise Enrique, Drago and Diop. Then one more signing, possibly a fairly decent RB. If we get these im pretty sure we will crush Bolton :D

• 19 Ed Harrison // Aug 4, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Toon1 – agree – you have to give Chris Mort credit on this as well as Big Sam of course – and apparently our Chief Operating Officer (COO) Russell Cushing has been deeply involved in all of this and Sam speaks highly of him.

• 20 Ed Harrison // Aug 4, 2007 at 10:23 AM

Rich – I missed out on it – if you read yesterday’s Major News – it was 5:45 pm Newcastle time and he hadn’t signed so I put the Major News Stories up and went to Walmart for an hour – came back and all hell had let loose with Cacapa signing and Enrique coming through.
    Yesterday was a special day for us – and was on the computer all day writing articles etc and looking at all the news coming through like every other Newcastle fan.
    I’ll put one up on Cacapa – but don’t just want to repeat the same old same old – I’ll need to make it interesting and worthwhile – wonder if he’s our new captain?
    :D

• 21 Bottlodog // Aug 4, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Nicci I for one would love to see the big flag back but I think it succumed to the dreaded ‘health and safety’
    I’d love to see more flags and the like maybe now they’ll come back – the last few seasons have just knocked all the enthusiasm out of us
    Here’s looking forward to success,prosperity and riches beyond our wildest dreams ……… hopefully

• 22 Ryan // Aug 4, 2007 at 10:27 AM

is riquelme still available? Man what a signing that would be. I would cry tears of joy if I found out he’d signed as well!!!

• 23 Tom_Toon // Aug 4, 2007 at 10:28 AM

I hate Riquelme, he is nowhere near as good as people rate him.

• 24 Tom_Toon // Aug 4, 2007 at 10:33 AM

but is good :)

• 25 t-g-w // Aug 4, 2007 at 10:54 AM

aye Ed I too wonder if hes our new captain. I actually can’t think who our captain will be – we have a very large squad now (well, once Drago and Enrique are in), and the captain needs to be someone that is guaranteed a starting place. For me, the only person who will play nearly every game for us this season is Sir Seamus Given. I know he is a GK and not ideal for captain but he has definitely earned it over the years – many GKs have been captains so I don’t see the problem really!

• 26 TOON1 // Aug 4, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Tom_toon ,disagree mate ,Riquelme is absolute quality ,did you see how good he was in the Copa america .Best player 4 argies by far.The negative to him is we would have to work the formation around him as he seems alittle lazy tracking back.Doesnt seem to like defencive duties.

• 27 t-g-w // Aug 4, 2007 at 11:04 AM

This is just a general comment – anyone else think Man City will really struggle this season? Of all the players Sven has bought, he has only seen them on video – he has never seen them play in a live match. They were recommended to him by Super-agent Pini Zahivi. None of them have played in the Premiership. Couple this with Sven’s Italian style of football and negative tactics, I think Man City could be a surprise contention for Mid-table mediocrity. Anyone else agree?

• 28 TOON1 // Aug 4, 2007 at 11:28 AM

T-G-W.Agreed !I was only saying that at work yesterday that man city will struggle .All the players he has signed have no clue what the PL is all about .

• 29 Bill // Aug 4, 2007 at 11:33 AM

I remember the last young Iberian player who was going to be the best thing ever but somehow never quite got there. I hope Enrique is not going to be another Hugo, all promise but no end result. I cannot see why there are so many negatives about our young hopefuls, they were our best players last year. (That includes young Nobby!!)

• 30 Edd Case // Aug 4, 2007 at 11:41 AM

I don’t think we will actually sign Riquelme now…

But remeber when Sam was replying to the Ronaldinho stuff – didn’t he say something like, “let’s get the defense etc sorted out first, then, if Ashley wants to sign someone to show a signal of intent, a “treat”, then I’ll be more than happy”

I think that now Cacapa and Smith are on board, Drago will follow and Enrique also. I don’t think there’s anything in the Baines story, for me, Sam mentioning him as a “possibility” is just to put others off his actual targets.
    And he’s too small!
    If there is another Prem player arriving, I think it’ll be Shorey to be honest.
    Though by the sounds of it, Enrique could be a far better option, 6′ tall, fast, likes to attack and defends well…

I honestly believe that if we sign the other two, Drago and Enrique, then sometime before the end of August, we WILL sign a huge player, as Sam hinted.

And for me, it has to be a midfielder, a creative, attacking midfielder too, a flair player, probably a winger.
    While Milner plays his nuts off, his final ball is appauling at times and Nobby’s pace has well and truely left him. Duff is always knackered and N’Zogbia appears slightly unsettled. Luque would prefer to be up top.
    Smith will play in the Scholes role – and be really great I think, if not Emre’s always there, when he’s fit.
    So looking at it like that, for me, a winger would be best…

Plenty of star Brazilian’s in that position – and with Cacapa on board…?
    I heaer Joaquin of Valencia is unsettled too – on his day, he is immense.

But perhaps we wont see anyone else until January, let the new 8! signings settle in and fingers crossed, be in the top 8 come the new window, then, another couple of HUGE signings and a real great push for a high, hopefully European finish.

Howay the Toon.

• 31 Andreas // Aug 5, 2007 at 12:57 AM

@t-g-w & Toon1, imho it’s a toss up if Man C will be aweful or a surprise. It’ feels like they will struggle if they get a nasty start but if they have some luck early on they might be quite good. Of Svens new signings I do think Bojinov will turn out to be a great one, like Berbatov last year – but the others might turn out “so so” I reckon. However, I don’t really care how the season goes for Man C – I’m quite sure we’ll be in front of them by some margin (and I do hope we’ll end up in the top 6 and/or with a cup = qualifying for Europe).

previous post: Spanish Youngster Enrique Coming to Newcastle

next post: Sam Speaks on Signings – Papa Diop Still to Come?