Sam and Fans Happier After Newcastle Breakthrough


Sam Allardyce and Newcastle fans will be a lot happier than they were last week at this time after an excellent week in the transfer market.

On Friday Sam and his team arranged four transfers to the club. Alan Smith and Lyon center-back Claudio Cacapa signed and two others, 21 year-old Spaniard left-back Jose Enrique and 31 year-old Serbian center-back or left-back Ivica Dragutinovic (thank goodness we can call him Drago) have agreed to join the club and will do so later this week.

Official: The mood on Tyneside has lifted.

sam-allardycepa_468×322.jpg

Super Sam Allardcye – Newcastle Manager

Friday could also go down as the day new management at Newcastle proved to fans they wanted to take Newcastle back to greatness.

Sam has been frustrated over the last several weeks that no signings had been made at the club. He has repeatedly stressed that speed is essential. Looks like Newcastle management took that to heart and we had a first-class week last week bringing in four new players for a cost of around ₤10.5M

26 year-old Alan Smith cost ₤4M from Manchester United and Brazilian Claudio Cacapa was another reasonable deal by Sam for ₤0, also  known as a free transfer. 21 year-old Jose Enrique will cost ₤4M from Villareal and 31 year-old Serbian Drago will cost us around ₤2.5M from Sevilla.

Don’t be surprised if we have just signed our new club captain in Brazilian Cacapa who captained Lyon to the French League title these last 5 years and has vast experience in the European Champions League.

Chairman Chris Mort has no experience in football management and this job will prove a lot different than his previous lawyer job in London. But like all good people he is a quick learner and it looks like he is learning very fast under Big Sam and we still feel the pair can become a great team at Newcastle. Chris must give Sam his head in the transfer market, however, and trust him because Sam’s record with Bolton Wanderers was first-class and we think he will continue to sign great players for free or for low fees.

To be fair to Chris he also has directions from owner Mike Ashley to get a handle on the club’s debts so he is juggling a few balls in the air right now. However he now understands we have to spend money to build the squad before the end of August – and that’s very good.

Sam Allardyce said yesterday:

“It’s been one of the most ferocious summers in the transfer market I’ve ever known.”
“It’s been a real free-for-all – but it gives you a massive lift when you bring players in.”

After these four players are all into the club we still probably need a couple more players to round things off. We think a right back and quality midfielder would really be the icing on the cake and expect we’ll have those by the end of August.

Now to take Bolton apart next Saturday – whoops getting carried away again   😀

Comments very welcome – please keep them civil and decent – many thanks.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

25 comments so far

  • Rich

    Aug 5, 2007 at 9:52 AM

    Comment #1

    as i expected no news over the weekend, but the News Of The World really REALLY need to employ some proper journalists look at this:

    “New manager Sam Allardyce might be forced to sell striker Obafemi Martins to ease Newcastle’s cash crisis. (News of the World)”

    so this Journalist can see that WE pulled the pluf on the Dyer deal, if we had a cash crisis why would that happen?

    Also Sam has already said OBA IS NOT LEAVING, & our chairman hs said ‘WE HAVE NO CASH PROBLEM’

    yet the news of the world STILL feel the need to regurgitate absolute pap.

    my god.

    0
  • Ed Harrison

    Aug 5, 2007 at 9:55 AM

    Comment #2

    Rich – I saw that – laughed and ignored it. We are in fact renogotiating the deal to remove that release clause in Oba’s contract and Martins couldn’t be happier – but that news is too good and will not sell newspapers – but it’s the truth 😀

    0
  • Graeme

    Aug 5, 2007 at 10:07 AM

    Comment #3

    The same report is all over Sky Sports News as well. Why would we pull the plug on the fragile one? Makes no sense whatsoever when its that far down the line; Is Ashley strapped for the extra £2 million, or is BSA short of funds?? Far better to be rid, as Sam says – any player who no longer wants to play is better off out of the club.

    This makes no sense, makes NUFC look unreliable and petty. Add that to the rumour Martins is now available and you have to wonder just what is going on!!!!

    0
  • Shane Coghlan

    Aug 5, 2007 at 10:13 AM

    Comment #4

    I would love to see us sign Thiago Motta and Juan Roman Riquelme. Both are pretty much certain to leave their clubs and are fantastic players! having no European football is a major hinderence to both players but not as much for Motta as he is only 24. I think Motta is the more likely to come to Newcastle and a defensive midfielder is the major type of midfielder we need. (Apart from Butt who else can play there?) Riquelme is my favourite player but maybe not someone we necessarily need right now. If we got these two players plus a specialist right back I think I would probably die 😛

    I’ve seen a bit of Jose Bosingwa from Porto and think he is pretty solid and maybe the best availiable. Is Sylvinho from Real Madrid a right or left back?

    0
  • Bev

    Aug 5, 2007 at 10:14 AM

    Comment #5

    I think the newspapers have something against Newcastle this season because we are making the headlines for the right reasons for once, so they have to make up absolute rubbish to try and sell more papers. Wonder if we’ll find out about Baines today?

    0
  • bw positive

    Aug 5, 2007 at 10:17 AM

    Comment #6

    I cringe everytime people mention Casapa as a club captain. THE MAN CAN’T EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH.

    0
  • Barry Bumhead

    Aug 5, 2007 at 10:17 AM

    Comment #7

    it was nice to see parts of your blog article from August 1st about “Dragu” being replicated by Alan Oliver in yesterdays Chronicle.

    By the way, is it me or does this man appear to want to bring the club down now at every opportunity because his journalism these days would indicate that he his totally anti Newcastle United and has it in for Mike Ashley and co.
    Could this be because they have removed his good chums and contacts from the club?

    Anyway his articles are now the witterings of an old fool and its about time he was put out to grass.

    0
  • Shane Coghlan

    Aug 5, 2007 at 10:19 AM

    Comment #8

    sorry wrong “o” 😛

    I was supposed to say Cicinho 😛

    0
  • Bev

    Aug 5, 2007 at 10:23 AM

    Comment #9

    Some of this articles on Newsnow amaze me, how are they classed as news when they talk about martins being sold for cash (already been cleared up by both sam and chris) then about our transfers, saying that alan smith is a good signing but they need defenders.. where have they been? cacapa has already signed and 2 bids accepted as well as supposed talks with Leighton Baines, where do they get their information from? alan oliver? ok rant over

    0
  • Dinko

    Aug 5, 2007 at 10:31 AM

    Comment #10

    I’m very happy becouse we bought some really good players and I’m looking forward to new season. I think that Sam will lead us to top 6 and evan more in next seasons. And one little critic in the end PLEASEEEEEEEE STOP CALL HIM SUPER SAM. It is really stupid name like from cartoons!:D

    0
  • Rich

    Aug 5, 2007 at 10:51 AM

    Comment #11

    @Bev

    i hear you, the only website (along with this one :)) that you cant trust 100% when it comes to our team is NUFC.CO.UK.

    everytime i read some viscous crap from newsnow or some tabloid i go to this link:

    http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1083417,00.html

    makes me feel better every time!!!

    0
  • Chris Pearson

    Aug 5, 2007 at 10:54 AM

    Comment #12

    Alan Oliver put out to pasture, too good for the senile old fool! The bloke needs put out of his misery. Anyway, forget the grey mopped fool, this has been a fantastic weekend for the Toon and if Sam brings in two or three more players bring on the start of the season. Martins WILL score in Black and White, Taylor WILL take the next step toward his full England Cap, and Big Sam WILL be the biggest managerial revelation of the Season turning around a mediocre mid table specialist team into European Specialists!

    0
  • Ron

    Aug 5, 2007 at 11:05 AM

    Comment #13

    It isn’t just News of The World perpetuating the Martins leaving story.
    Anal Oliver still will not let the matter rest as even in Saturdays Chronicle the idiot from Consett was still mentioning it. Dont forget even last season despite Martins goal tally Anal always found something negative to say. Shouldn’t have started cos I really detest the man .

    0
  • big pea ov the weab

    Aug 5, 2007 at 11:24 AM

    Comment #14

    the news ov the world talks utter sh*t a never even bother reading half the sh*t it prints in fact am gana stop buying it lets all boycot the news ov the world

    0
  • dirk

    Aug 5, 2007 at 11:24 AM

    Comment #15

    Dont forget nufc.com – a truely great website. Those boys are always on the money – first stop for me.

    0
  • Ed Harrison

    Aug 5, 2007 at 11:29 AM

    Comment #16

    Forget that Martins story today – it’s just a load of you know what – I cannot believe these guys still bring this up. Think it’s because we do seem to be overloaded with strikers.

    0
  • Ed Harrison

    Aug 5, 2007 at 11:31 AM

    Comment #17

    dirk – agree completely – http://www.nufc.com are down to earth and try to sort the good from the bad – i’m a great admirer and have been for a while.

    0
  • Ed Harrison

    Aug 5, 2007 at 11:32 AM

    Comment #18

    Dinko – I hear you – thought it was good but guess not – back to Big Sam. 😀

    0
  • Ed Harrison

    Aug 5, 2007 at 11:34 AM

    Comment #19

    Bev – it has astonished me over the last 3 months or so since this web-site was launched – very hard to sort the wheat from the chaff but some stories are just plain stupid.

    0
  • Ed Harrison

    Aug 5, 2007 at 11:35 AM

    Comment #20

    And we’ve been duped a few times with some stupid stories unfortunately.

    0
  • Rich

    Aug 5, 2007 at 12:10 PM

    Comment #21

    ^^ thats the nature of the beast Ed, at least you always have an objective stance until its set in stone, and if youve been incorrect youve let us know… funny thing is Martins will sign a new contract score 20+ goals for us next season and they will be linking him to Man U, Chelsea & Barcelona at the end of next, and well have to go through things like this time and time again with the mainstream press.

    0
  • Craig

    Aug 5, 2007 at 12:15 PM

    Comment #22

    Ed – Cacapa cannot speak English. Rozenhal is acting as an interpreter for him using French with his time at Lyon. He won’t be captain jusy yet.

    0
  • will

    Aug 5, 2007 at 1:46 PM

    Comment #23

    The piece in the NotW was pure sloppy journalism. I hope and expect that the ‘journalist’ responsible is properly taken to task. If you can only produce that kind of drivel you are not doing your job. If you are not doing your job then you shouldn’t be paid. Piers Morgan would have shown the man the door.

    0
  • will

    Aug 5, 2007 at 2:01 PM

    Comment #24

    By the way, the guy’s name is David Harrison. I hope he’ll be taking some much needed garden leave shortly.

    0
  • C.DAWSON

    Aug 5, 2007 at 2:12 PM

    Comment #25

    WELL ALL U TOON ARMY FAITHFULL I THINK THESE LAST FOUR SIGNINGS ARE ONE FOR THE BOOKS. BIG SAM AND CO HAVE DONE BRILLIANT. COMEON TOOO TOOO BLACK N WHITE ARMY. BRING ON THE MACKEMS.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.