Sam Sets Up Support System for Jose Enrique Success

Jose Enrique has started the process of settling in at Newcastle as a 21 year-old – after signing for the club for £6.3M yesterday. It’s never an easy process for a young player and in the past, especially under Bobby Robson, we were not successful in bringing through young stars.

Several of the young stars we bought like Hugo Viana (£8M) from Portugal and Deigo Gavilan (£2M) from Paraguay didn’t make the transition and fell by the wayside. When they arrived at Newcastle they both were 19 years old.

We think Jose will be different because Sam will ensure he’s brought along slowly and a support group, with Albert Luque playing a prominent part, has already been set up to assist Jose in learning the ropes at the club and in his new town.

jose-enrique.jpg

Jose Enrique

Jose talked to Luke Edward of the Newcastle Journal today:

“I am ready to go and if Sam wants to play me this weekend I am ready,”

“English football is fast and physical, especially for defenders. Strikers like to get stuck in, but that isn’t a problem for me.”

“It has all happened very quickly. It is a great challenge to play in the Premiership, but I am under no illusions that it will be easy.”

“ I know just what an historic club Newcastle is and I am excited by the plans the directors and board have for the club.”

Manager Sam Allardyce talked about Jose:

“Jose has hopefully got a very good future in front of him, but we will feed him in slowly. You won’t see him at Bolton, or at least I hope you won’t, because I would not want to do that.”

” I’d like to use the players who have done so well in pre-season for the first few games, with the new ones coming in after that.”

“ It does not matter about Alan Smith because he knows what the Premiership is all about and he’s okay. Mark Viduka knows all about the Premiership as well and what it takes to be successful.”

“But we will ease in Claudio Caçapa and Jose when they have got the feel of it.”

Jose is very pleased to have Albert Luque at the club and Albert has vowed to look after Jose. Not only will that be good for Enrique it should also help Albert himself becasue it gives him a little more responsibility at the club and therefore closer ties to it. We think this situation is a win-win for both of them.

Jose added:

“To have Albert Luque in the squad is great for me. To have another Spaniard there as I start out in Newcastle can only help me. Albert says he is going to take care of me at Newcastle. “

“I don’t know Sam Allardyce directly but I am told he has great faith in young players and that is great. It is very positive news. I met him for dinner and I was very happy to hear his plans for Newcastle.”

“He treated me very well and he understands me. He knows I have to get used to a lot of new things, like changes in culture and language, but he says he’s going to help me adapt to that. He says he is going to have patience with me.”

Let’s hope Jose gets intoduced nice and slowly, as Sam suggests, and gets the support he will obviously need – because we hope he this boy can become the left-back at Newcastle for many years to come.  We also expect him to get a full Spanish cap before the season is out.

Comments very welcome.

• George

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:40 AM

I do hope Sam Allerdyce does look after his players better than our previous managers. God bless Bobby Robson, but so many did not actually take any notice of him, that some of the younger imports were left to flounder.
    SA seems to have more experiance with foreigners in this country, so hope this fairs well and he actually gets the best out of them. Charles N`Zogbia certainly seems to be playing better albeit this early and in friendlies. Sounds promising to me.

• John

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Everything I’ve seen and heard so far about Big Sam’s methods and managerial style seems to be what I had hoped for…

Cool, calm, methodical, well thought out, personable … this is how he got Bolton to overachieve as a club on a shoestring.

There’s going to be high’s and lows as with any and every club/season but the trend will be an upward one from here on guys…

I’m smilin’ my ass off…

Big Sam’s the MAN.

• Tom_Toon

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:56 AM

YFirst comment :)? Must be my lucky day.

• Craig Allen

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:04 AM

You’re probably gonna need that Jose Enrique category (on the right) set up, Ed. He’s gonna be here for a while 🙂

• Kash

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:08 AM

He’s a real manager, not a coach. He manages everything that affects the football on the pitch. We are seeing the professional nature of BSA and I can now see why he had objections to Roeder taking over as our manager last season!

Good on you BSA, you deserve to be our Number 1!

• roscoe

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:12 AM

I haven’t been this excited for a prem season since we finished second!!
    I’m smiling from ear to ear!!! Come on Toon Supporters lets get behind this team and make it happen!!!

HOWAY BSA
    HOWAY MA and CM

HOWAY THE LADS!!!!

Bring it on Bolton……

• evil dick

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:24 AM

I’m really optimsitic for this season too!

I live in sydney and obviously won’t be able to go to any games, but I am expecting those who are there against villa to really raise the roof! Bring back the noise!

• Ian, Doha

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:39 AM

Let’s hope Luque can help Jose settle in and be a major success on Tyneside. We have’nt had much success with Spaniards in the past, but just maybe BSA realizes that Luque needs added responsibility to bring out the talent he does possess.

Is this another master stoke by BSA?

I hope so……..

• rich

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:15 PM

@JOHN

“I’m smilin’ my ass off…

Big Sam’s the MAN.”

– my sentiments exactly!

its taken so long for our team to get sorted out and it finally seems to be happening, the right owners, right executives, right back room staff, right manager and the right players.

i really like the sound of Jose, he sounds so down to earth for a footballer his age, im glad we are getting rid of personalities like Kieron Dyer etc.. and replacing them with model professionals like Smith & Jose!

TOON TOON!

• Bob

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:32 PM

“Jose is very pleased to have Albert Luque at the club and Albert has vowed to look after Jose. Not only will that be good for Enrique it should also help Albert himself becasue it gives him a little more responsibility at the club and therefore closer ties to it. We think this situation is a win-win for both of them.”

I totally agree with this! Hopefully Luque will be given a chance and come good this season. It would be amazing if we got the £9.5m rated Luque to add to our squad…. pre-season has been encouraging and he is clearly trying hard (to me, at least).

So excited about the new season! Love the blog as well, very optimistic and well-written 🙂

• Tez

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Dragutinovic – has apparently signed a new 4yr contract. 🙁

Looks like Sam will have to look elsewhere.

If we are getting one more signing get a RB (that can play CB if really needed).

N’Zogbia and Babayaro can cover Enrique…

• roscoe

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Its true… new four year deal for Drago!!

• Bill F

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:49 PM

I just hope that Luque is more than a £10 million chaperone. Perhaps Kieron could be assigned to look after him. (That is joke, i hasten to add)

• Stami

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:39 PM

this is a great chance for Luque to put something back into NUFC, and make him feel like he is wanted/needed! im not saying that BSA has not reached out to him, its just another feather in his cap. a player trying to make a comeback needs as many feathers as he can get, on the pitch and off!

the Dyer situation is really getting old now, if he wants to go, let him, i would hate to see him stay against is will, as he is not going to give his all. we dont want players that are not committed to the team! he has been in need of a serious attitude adjustment for a long time and i just dont see that happening!
    Smith on the other hand is EXACTLY the opposite! dedicated to the cause, a real fighter on the pitch, you dont often see him come off 2nd best in a 50/50 situation! thats what Dyer has always been lacking, and unfortunately you cant make up for that on pace and skill alone! it will be a pity to see Dyer leave, not only because we are losing a good player, but knowing that he will never reach his full potential at any other club!

i have never been so excited for the start of the season! i see great things in future for NUFC and the TOON faithful

thanks again Ed for the fantastic site.

Stami
    South Africa

• cooldj

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:10 PM

“because there’s little doubt this boy can become the left-back at Newcastle for many years to come.”

you seen him play? I’ve never even heard of him… sure id love him to be our left back for years to come but there is still significant doubt. we might get worse, he may not adapt, he may be crap, we might have a better one in the acadamy, he might have loads of injuries ect ect. it may seem pedantic but lets not get carried away-hes yet to make his debut. lets just see what happens.

• Ed Harrison

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:41 PM

cooldj – we’ll see what happens with him – but i’m probably guilty as charged 😀

• Sean

Aug 7, 2007 at 5:22 PM

wot number is he? i wanna get his name on the back of my shirt

• Sean

Aug 7, 2007 at 5:26 PM

duzn’t matter i found out he is no.3 but what will the name say? just enrique? coz he has 4 names

• Ed Harrison

Aug 7, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Sean – number 3 – left-back number.

• Ed Harrison

Aug 7, 2007 at 8:25 PM

cooldj – read the end again of the article – changed it to be more accurate – it’s something I hope will happen – not something I know will happen.

• Tom_Toon