Brazilian Cacapa Delighted to Have Joined Newcastle

Claudio Cacapa, our new signing from Lyon on a free transfer is busy getting fit and will not take part this Saturday against Sam’s old club Bolton Wanderers.

Claudio revealed earlier in the week that Newcastle beat off competition from a number of European clubs for his services.

That’s not too surprising since not only is Cacapa a good and experienced player having won the French Championship with Lyon in all his 5 years at the club but he was also a free agent.

claudio2.jpg

Claudio Cacapa – Newcastle free signing from Lens

The surprising thing to us is we had an article on Cacapa on 3rd June indicating he was available on a free – and yet nobody signed him until Sam moved quickly to pick him up a couple of weeks back. Another great acquisition by the big man.

The former Lyon captain signed an initial two-year deal at St James’ Park and there is an option for a third year. Cacapa has now admitted he had interest from France, Turkey, Greece and Italy, although he said he always favored a move to the Premier League.

The Brazilian defender even plans on spending the next few seasons on Tyneside and is looking forward to his time in England with Newcastle. Cacapa told L’Equipem earlier in the week.

“I needed a new challenge, I have found it in England,”

“I could have stayed in France, where Toulouse and Bordeaux had contacted me.”

“I also had talks with Besiktas, Olympiakos and Italian clubs.”

“But I am delighted to have joined Newcastle, as I want to speak English.”

“As I see myself playing three or four years there, that will give me time to learn.”

There is still a chance Cacapa could end up being Newcastle’s next captain but Claudio regardless is a leader. Sam has picked up an extremely valuable acquisition to his squad and we are very happy to have Claudio Cacapa at the club. We think he can be a really solid performer for us in this very important season coming up.

• Stephen

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:23 AM

Great experience just what we were lacking at the back he will make Taylor a better player i think .Taylor would of never improved if he was playing next to shambles ha thank god big sam got rid.He was captain of a great team of lyon too and a free looks like Big Sam is the king of the transfer market dont know how he gets so many bargains

• Cyprus Mag

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:07 AM

he’s come to the wrong place to learn English

• Ian, Doha

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:42 AM

Question: Does Cacapa already speak English or not?

If not, I can’t see him being a Newcastle captain regardless of his achievements with Lyon over past five years!

• rich

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:44 AM

Ian, he speaks broken english i believe, hes not fluent.

im glad we gt him, i would of preffered big Sol Campbell but Capaca is an amazing signing non-the-less.

first Brazilian i can remember playing for us for a long time….

• Lull , Malaysia

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:43 AM

Really hope he’ll be a starter or sub really soon.Wonder what his number and name written on his back?

• Graham

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Rich, surely your memory goes back just a few years to that Brazillian legend Fumaca who graced out club…

• Tez

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:52 AM

Lull , Malaysia -Caçapa will have the No. 6 for the coming season.

• Dinko

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Ed-” Claudio Cacapa – Newcastle free signing from Lens” I thought he is from Lyon 🙂 Thank you for your site. I read it every day.

• arctoa (D.)

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:57 AM

Ahaha, Fumaca. The only Brazillian footballer I have seen who had a first touch worse than Carl Cort’s. Before him there was the original Sulk. None of this Anelka nonsense, Mirandinha was the boyo when it came to petulant tantrums. He could play a bit, though.

• rich

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Graham… Fumaca…. ive been an avid supporter for 22 years but that name rings no bells…. but then again my memory is terrible!!

• nightfall

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:33 PM

rich – i know what you mean…weed can really mees your brain up 🙂 🙂

• arctoa (D.)

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:03 PM

rich – he was on loan in the 1999/2000 season, if I remember rightly. Didn’t play very regularly at all, due to his abherrant lack of any sort of footballing skill.