After yesterday’s very satisfying win and a good 3 points to start the season it would be a good time to reflect on what Newcastle need now to complete their squad rebuilding before the end of August.
Obviously the players that Sam has already brought in appear to be first class not least of which because they have the experience to last out a game like we did in the second half yesterday – and not panic when things get tough.
Here’s some points we think Sam may be pondering with his squad.
Nobby Solano – better proposition at right-back than Carr?
Here are the points we feel deserve some thought before the end of the transfer window:
- Kieron Dyer just doesn’t fit at Newcastle any more. The last thing Sam wants in his squad is a moaner who simply becomes a drag on the spirit of the side. While saying that would be a little harsh on Kieron he nevertheless is not well endowed with passion and dedication for Newcastle. Sell him to West Ham United and get his â‚¤80K/week wages offÂ the books.
- With Albert Luque either send him out on loan for a year (our preference), sell him with a sell-on clause, or sell him now to Levante or whoever else comes in for him. That will get another high wage earner off the books and will allow Sam to being in replacements before the end of August.
- We are hoping that Nobby Solano still wants to stay at Newcastle and if that’s so we think Nobby would be better at right back than Carr. Stephen has played well this season but his lack of speed is a weakness in our back four. We think that until we bring in a new right back, if Solano doesn’t start in mid-field let’s use him at right back where he has lots of experience as he showed last year.
- Bring in some new players before the end of the transfer window:
- We need a new right back since with Enrique and N’Zogbia there is good cover now at left back. We thought Charles was outstanding again yesterday and what a goal! He deserves great credit for buckling down and letting his football do the talking â€“ well done Charlie.
- Since it looks like Drago is probably not coming to Newcastle we need another defender in addition to a right back. Somebody who is flexible and can play across the back four would be a good acquisition. We assume we can can still get Edmilson into the club during January so the new player doesn’t have to be a center-back since we now have Taylor, Rozehnal, Cacapa and Ramage for that position.
- The icing on the cake for the squad would be a play making central midfield player such as Deco or Requiem. This would help to open up opposing defenses because it looks like we have a wealth of goalscorers in the squad now. If we hadn’t put the brakes on yesterday in the second half we could have scored more than three times.
If we lose Dyer and Luque and bring in three players above, we may still be a little short on numbers â€“ but because what Sam is doing is obviously working,Â let’s ensure he gets backing through August to bring in the players he wants.
What do you think?
Comments very welcome.