Diouf Unsettled at Bolton – Will Sam Be Interested?

El Hadji Diouf, who along with Nicholas Anelka were Bolton’s best players in the second half on Saturday – against Newcastle – is not happy at the club.

As you may remember, earlier in the summer, he was disappointed when Sam Allardyce left Bolton for Newcastle, but now he still seems to be unsettled at the club.

Let’s take a look at the situation and wonder if Big Sam may be interested in Diouf.

el-hadji-diouf-1.jpg

El Hadji Diouf – tussles with Geremi on Saturday

While Diouf was left out of the starting line-up on Saturday he was brought on at half time and played extremely well down the left wing and showed loads of talent against Newcastle. Diouf

This is what Diouf said today:

“I want to talk with the chairman and the manager because I want everything to be clear in my head.”

“The best thing is for him to show me he has confidence. If he tells me he has confidence, I do well. If I don’t see that, I don’t think I can stay here.”

“They decided I wasn’t playing, though, and that was it.”

“I respect the boss and his decision and I am here for the time being.”

“I was surprised a lot by the decision but I respect everything about the boss.”

“It is not difficult for me to deal with the speculation but I’m just saying today I am here, maybe tomorrow I am not here.”

If Newcastle are truly to lose Luque, Solano and Dyer before the end of August we will need a few more wide men and Diouf would jump at the chance to come to Newcastle. We wouldn’t be surprised if Sam may be interested.

Yes, it’s true Diouf sometimes is a problem player but under Allardyce he improved greatly and on Saturday you could see his talent as at times he was beating a number of Newcastle players at once. To his credit he can make goals out of nothing and can play on either wing – and we think he would be a good acquisition for Newcastle, not least of which because he’ll want to join Sam’s revolution.

Let’s know what you think of the possibility. Certainly we will need more players coming in if Dyer, Luque and Solano are to leave.

Comments are always welcome.

• Geordieboy

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:01 AM

wud be another quality signing and who has played at the champions league level and BSA can contol him and that wud be another option for us out wide where we r quite strong !!!

• Callum

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:02 AM

I remember last season at SJP when he scored 2 goals after he had gotten boo’ed all match, personally i’d like to see him come as he flourished under BSA guidance at Bolton and he will provide good width and flair to the team.

• toonoholic

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:05 AM

sounds like a replacement for luque …. but i guess its time we sign more quick players down the flank …

• Tito

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:08 AM

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa…… I hate him as Bolton player, but I don’t mind him coming though.. hehe…

The way I saw him got past 2-3 players of ours, I feared of a 2nd Bolton’s goal… Lucky his delivery was crap.. =P

• Brian

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:15 AM

He is a bit like Bellers you hate him when he plays against you, but love him when he is part of your team. Would be a good option down the left.

• Graham

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:32 AM

i expected to read this and then read the dozens of comments slating Diof for the way he taunted the Newcastle fans last season – not to mention that he likes to aim his flegm at opposing players – and i was gonna have my say too. But, love him or hate him (at the min i’m in the 2nd category) he could be a quality signing. Not sure how many fans would have his name on the back of their shirt though…

• Tito

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:37 AM

Graham, I wouldn’t dare to do that on my back, in case others spit on me!

1 thing i like about Diouf, he certainly know how to wind someone up!

• Kash

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:09 AM

He’s a player you love to hate, but you have to admire his ability!

BSA will getting him performing consistently, and would no doubt be a quality acquistion. Chelsea have a top player in Malouda, while we all know Ronaldo. We need another wing wonder and maybe Diouf can provide us with that flair!

• Hammy

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:17 AM

He’d be an excellent addition….but I doubt whether he’d play every week…is he not complaing he’s on the bench at Bolton?

• Ross

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:19 AM

diouf’s scummy like.
    i’ve never been able to condone his behaviour. anyone who is willing to spit at someone else i just cant credit.
    however as much as i hate to admit it, the only reason it frustrates me as much as it does, is because of how good a footballer he is.
    not like we’ve never had thugs at the club before,haha.
    i’d be unsure about diouf though, he’s the one player along with c.ronaldo i’ve just never liked..i dunno how i’d react to him playing in black and white.

• TOON1

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Good player ,always plays well against the toon ,[which winds me up],but rather have him in our team than against us .Quite versatile aswell ,can play either flank or up front!!

• Lamesley Mag

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:09 AM

If we’re to lose Luque, Dyer and Solano then Diouf’s the quality type player to bring in as a squad player. All depends on how much it will cost to bring him to Newcastle?

• rich

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:26 AM

i say no, we need players with the attitude of Geremi & Smith etc… model proffesionals, besides his attitude their are far more better players out thier than Dioufy…. much better… EIDUR for starters.

• iain

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:31 AM

diouf is a complete arse of a person but a hugely talented footballer.

he must fancy playing under sam again, theres been talk from his agent of pl clubs (maybe us ???) interested and lyon. but the fact he hasnt gone suggests maybe diouf is waiting to see if big sam will bring him to nufc. hes obviously not got the same relationship with litle sam or he would of started against us instead of forcing nolan to play rw.

• Hammy

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Hey Rich,
    Apparently the Spammers are in talks with Eidur…although he is trying to screw them on personal terms, they seem to have money to burn,,,,,

• ToonKing

Aug 13, 2007 at 11:01 AM

If Dyer, Luque and Solano leave then most certainly bring in Diouf. He’s a very good footballer and he would be of great use. I always liked the so called “bad boys”, cause i’ve been labeled one many times, but juts imagine our midfield !! It would be a really scary place: Smith, Barton, Diouf – even Geremi showed some good attitude when he threw the ball away in anger 🙂

• Tom

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:01 PM

I have seen Bolton play on a number of occasions due to a friend of the family and i have to say that he always looks deadly, and has more times than not been the best player on the field. He has so much skill its frightening, and he doesnt need pace either, he beats players through trickery. He also finds alot of space for himself aswell.

• Obafan

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:36 PM

I think that he woukd be a good addition to our squad, bu I think this is just paper talks; if BS wanted him he would already be in a white and black shirt at this moment.

We still need a RB and I hope Solano and Dyer stay.

Ed – What happened with Solano. Does he want to go by himself or is there anything else what happened why he might leave us? I was on holiday and didn’t follow the news that good.

• Obafan

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Ed – I was too quick with my question; just saw the article about Sol. Thanks m8.

• Ed Harrison

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:20 PM

Obafan – unfortunately it looks real for Solano – but if we wait till January – things with Solano may change 0- apparently his wife just moved to London. BTW Oba was just unbelievable on Saturday – 2 good goals – becoming dare I say it – world class.

• AlexW

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:50 PM

HATE DOUIF, please please please dont bring him to this team…………i was wondering, will chelsea still accept a bid for shauny wright phillips, he was amazing on sunday, and ideal to replace nobby or dyer.