Martins Rejuvenated at Newcastle Under Big Sam

Oba Martins is in discussions with Newcastle United on a new long-term contract and has told the club he will stay for as long as they want him.

Don’t be surprised if Oba commits to Newcastle for at least another 5 years after his positive and upbeat interview with the Sun today.

Oba seems to love working under new boss Sam Allardyce.

oba-martins-falling.gif

Oba Martins – loves it at Newcastle and wants to stay for a long time – looks like it

Oba Martins, Newcastle’s 22 year old dynamic Nigerian striker, is featured in the Sun today and gives a good interview that is very positive about both the Newcastle club and the city. This interview will come as music to Newcastle fans’ ears – as they are starting to warm to Oba as a potential great star of the future.

Oba said:

“I will stay here as long as you want me.” “I love it at Newcastle under Sam Allardyce.”

“I admit I wasn’t totally happy last season and heard about Arsenal being interested.” “It is nice when other teams want you but I only want to play for Newcastle now.”

“I’m looking forward to renewing my contract with the club.” “There are issues and problems with the present one which need sorting out.”

“We have started talking and I’ve told them how much I want to stay. They know I’m happy to be at Newcastle.”

“I will sign for five years, six years or for as long as they want me.” “I never asked for the £13M buy-out to be put in my deal, it was my previous agent, so we’ll talk about taking that out.”

“I’m not going anywhere. I’m buying a house and Newcastle is a great city. I enjoy working with the manager and every day there is something new in training.”

Martins’ advisor Chris Nathaniel said:

“We have proposed some improvements to the contract and Newcastle are coming back to us with their ideas.”

“They know Oba will stay as long as they want him.”

Newcastle hero Martins, who helped destroy Bolton last week with two first half goals on the opening day of the season, is ready to sign a six-year deal with the club to show his commitment. Certainly it’s right what Big Sam says – the first thing you have to ensure is that players are happy and have things sorted out in their personal lives – and then they can play to their top form.

Martins has looked just great in pre-season and sometimes looks a world beater with things he does on the field. His first goal last week was spectacular. However, Martins isn’t the only one rejuvenated at Newcastle with N’Zogbia and Carr also looking revitalized under the big man.

The Nigerian star, who will lead the attack at home to Villa today, was bought for £10M from Inter Milan last summer and still has four years of his present contract to run. But he wants to end any future transfer talk — by sorting out new terms and removing that controversial £13M buy-out clause in his current agreement.

Best thing Oba can do today is score a goal or two against Aston Villa – he certainly seems happy enough at the club now – which will be a big relief to his many admirers at Newcastle. We think things are definitely on the up at Newcastle – but we have to beat Villa today!

• Hammy

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:45 AM

Seems like a very honest interview…….Martins looks a different player this season and if he keeps it up will be one of the first names on the team sheet.
    Hopefully the new contract will be signed within the next week or so.
    Looking forward to some of Oba’s acrobatics after he slots a couple in against Villa.

Anybody still want O’Neil as the Toon manager?…….anyone…..hello…

• Midjew

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:50 AM

GREAT news, i love the way he plays!

Very hard for defenders to keep a leash on him as he is so quick an agile.

Hope this contract is signed soon and brilliant Big Sam is doing much more than bring in players he is making ours happy.

• toongirl

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:54 AM

excellent news..hope he signs soon and cant wait to see him the the cumin season’s i think he can be world class. martins is a qucik powerful and exciting player exactly what newcastle need and lets hope he bags more goals this season and in the upcomin season…! you never know he could reach 200 goals lol CUMON OBA MARTINS..!!!!

• Graham

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:56 AM

However, Martins isn’t the only one rejuvenated at Newcastle with N’Zogbia and Carr also looking revitalized under the big man… Come on Ed, the only time Carr looks rejuvenated is when he comes out of Greggs with a pasty in his hand!

Really impressed with Obas interview though as i believe (and have said here many times) that Oba has the potential to be world class in a few years time.

Our frontline is as frightening as anything else in the premiership now! Roll on Villa!

• Shearer 4 pm

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:01 AM

i don’t know how you can say he looks a different player after one game don’t get me wrong it is great news but a different player you can’t say that as he was doing the same last year

• Hammy

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:11 AM

I wouldn’t say one game as he has looked very sharp in the pre season games and his first touch and movement have improved no end…he has always had the ability to shoot with either foot though this term he seems to be more willing….all I am saying is BSA seems to be somehow inspiring him…..

• Graeme

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:17 AM

Its an interesting thought that its Oba Martins contract that is being sorted, to remove the “buy out” clause to secure his future with the Toon. Presumably a much higher priority than the one in Owens contract, for much less money!!!!!! The future is bright, the future is Martins!!!

• Dave

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:17 AM

He he 🙂 It’s all good news! Love the new top graphic Ed.

• Shearer 4 pm

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:37 AM

you can’t compare pre season with the premiership there is a huge difference

• Hadrian

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:02 AM

i hope the lad is settled , he’s our diamond for the future .
    He’s only 22 for gods sake , i think most people overlook this fact somehow , and yet he’s still knocking goals in for fun .
    hand this lad a contract for life .

COME ON OBA , ANOTHER 2 FOR THE TOON TODAY !!

• Rocky

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:07 AM

Martins wanting to stay for a long time is music to my ears. At long last, all speculation linking Martins with other clubs will be laid to rest. My prediction: 25 goals this season.

Whoever thinks Steven Carr has had a new lease of life is mistaken. I watched him against Juventus and Nedved ran rings around him. He was at fault for the goal against Bolton too. I feel that his positioning and awareness are not very good.

Martin

• Ed Harrison

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Graham – i know – but Carr has looked a lot fitter this season. BTW – I love Greggs – vanilla slice is my big favorite – loaded with calories but delicious – when I’m over there I go in and look at all the stuff – like a little kid. Great bakery. My mouth’s watering right now 😀

• Ed Harrison

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Rocky – i agree we need a new RB and Carr is currently the weak link – see above comment – i thought he’s looked a lot better than last year – but he does lack pace. Wonder if Sam will think of playing one of his CB’s at RB?

• Sean

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:41 AM

Cacapa can play right back. With him playing right back then he would stay back a lot allowing Jose Enrique or Charles N’Zogbia to push on more. What do you think ed?

• Ed Harrison

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Sean – think that would be great – Cacapa is probably our best CB now – when you include all his experience and he seems a great team player – and very down to earth. If he can play RB – great – play him there. Sam’s got to be thinking he’s now got 3 excellent CBs and not to play one every week may be wasteful. We still hope Edmilson will come in early January – Sam must have a plan here – he’s too organized not to – and he seems to be brining in a lot of top class CBs. Maybe we’ll see someone other than Carr at RB tonight – or in second half?

• Martin's Fan

Aug 18, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Martins is always world class and FANASTIC news for newcastle if that stupid clause is being taken out!
    Carr looked revitalised?? Anyone watching the bolton game will disagree with that! He is the weakest link in our defence at the moment! Ya agree with what Harrison had said..
    Shift one of ouur CB to RB or buy a good right back!!!!!
    Carr is a backup player at best.

• Tom

Aug 18, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Graeme – we haven’t offered owen a new contract becase the by out clause in his contract expired a few weeks ago. Anyway great site Ed and a good win against villa tonight surely. HOWAY THE LADS

• rich

Aug 18, 2007 at 11:36 AM

i just woke up, and first thing i do is check for new stoires and im SOOOOOO happy now!!!!!

Oba is a legend and i LOVE him, i have a big Nigerian Flag im gonna take to the Toon games and i sit right on the touch line so im hoping when he scores a wonder goal he will come and take it off me and celerate whit it 🙂

secondly read this:

its from the toon mag but Owen takes a big right hook at freddy shephard!!!

basically he says he loves it at the toon aswell and hes ALWAYS been 100% committed, and that he was annoyed when the last regime tried forcing him into making public satements about his love for the Toon but he bsaically says:

‘ive never ever been bullied into making statements to the press about loving this or that, ive always been 100% commited to NUFC and i always let my footballl do the talking, the only issue being my injury problems have prevented me from talking!!’

something like that anyway.

i love big sam, i love Oba, and i love Owen, i love Geremi, Smith, Viduka, Zog, SOlano, Milner…….. i love them allllll!!!!

man im so happy. we just need to beat Villa and i think we are going to have ONE HELL OF A SEASON GUYS!!!

Sams working his magic not only on the players but me too!!!!!

• Obafan

Aug 18, 2007 at 12:08 PM

@ Sean and Ed: One thing I don’t understand of you guys is why would you play our best CB at RB. Cacapa will be magnificent with Roz in central defence. Let’s play Taylor at RB and if there is a new RB (maybe Belletti) then Taylor will be on the bench I think. To be honnest Taylor is very good, but still needs to learn a lot, which his normal considering his age. Cacapa and Rozehnal must be first choices above him, because they are more experienced and just better at this moment. Give Taylor the time to keep developping and he will have a fantastic future (and I hope it will be in Newcastle). But just for now BS has to play his best defence and at this moment the CB IMO are Cacapa and Roz and as long as the RB isn’t solved put Taylor overthere. Perhaps he will show he is veryn capable at that position and our RB is solved.

OBA OBAFE OBA OBAFE OBA OBAFE OBAFEMI MARTINS; that’s what we will here the next years at St James, whenever he bangs them in for us and I know he will do that. Fantastic news; BS must be so pleased with this. What an impact a manager can have on a team. BS the best manager in the EPL.

• Ed Harrison

Aug 18, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Obafan – well there’s no way we can keep Cacapa on the bench for much longer – so Sam has a choice between 2 out of Taylor, Rozehnal and Cacapa. I had thought Taylor at RB also – although he is CB longer term. Don’t know what Sam is thinking. What I’d really like to see is a new RB come in – and then Sam will have plenty of choice. I have feeling once Cacapa comes into the team – he’s in for the season – all being well with injuries.

• Ed Harrison

Aug 18, 2007 at 1:45 PM

See Bolton are getting beat 2-1 at Portsmouth – there defense looks weak – not sure Sammy is going to make it there – another defeat would not be good – shows you how big Sam was there.

• Shearer 4 pm

Aug 18, 2007 at 2:28 PM

i think that if cacapa can play rb we should let him then let talor play between roz and cacapa that would be great experience and stand him in god stead as if he does make the odd mistake then those two will sought it out and help him to learn from that what do you think