Most of the news today is concentrated on our important game with Aston Villa yesterday and it really wasn’t what fans were hoping for or expecting.
Not a good display from Newcastle but the good thing is they got stuck in and at least didn’t concede a goal which secured us a point in the end.
We discuss the game and which new players we need before the end of the transfer window in 12 days time.
Also, Mark Allison did his his lap of honor around St. James’ Park last night and was then presented with his own shirt by chairman Chris Mort. Mark has raised just over Â£25,000 for Charity – St. Benedict’s Hospice specifically, with his magnificent 874 miles run from John O’Groats to Land’s End. Guess what number is on the shirt.
- Disappointing result and performance from Newcastle United yesterday against a very good Aston Villa side. The bubble has burst a little as we got a good dose of reality as Aston Villa were probably the better side overall yesterday. The criticism has been a bit over the top though and we expect Big Sam to be a little surprised at the reaction from the fans. While we didn’t play well there were still a lot of positives to take out of the game including a solid performance from our defense and another bright display from James Milner.
James Milner – another good display from the 21 year-old in front of watching England manager Steve McClaren
- We look back on the game yesterday and see what we can learn from it. One thing is certain and that’s we need get ina new right back hopefully before our next game at Middlesbrough a week today. Stephen Carr was pin-pointed immediately by Villa as the weak link in Newcastle’s rearguard and Ashley Young had the beating of him for pace all afternoon. We also lacked creativity in midfield and while Joey Barton will add some of that when he returns in a couple of weeks time – we may need some more creative players at the club.
Joey Barton– will add creativity when he returns in about 2 weeks time from injury
- Sam is getting concerned about number one goalkeeper Shay Given and will not play him again until Shay is very fit and well – both physically and mentally. Shay has been bothered with groin problems for almost a year now and recently had another injury in that area. Sam wants to get to the bottom of Shay’s injury problems but in the mean time seems to want to bring in another goalkeeper to add support and competition to Steve Harper (who had another excellent game yesterday).
Shay Given – Sam concerned about Shay’s groin problems and looking to bring in a 3rd experienced keeper
- Sam talks to the Sunday Sun today and is in agreement with Sunderland manager Roy Keane that players who go to clubs only because that’s where their wives or girlfriends want to be – are being weak. We agree with that and for players getting that sort of money they should go to the places that’s right for their careers whether it’s OK with their partners or not. Executives in business – who earn far less than these players and have so much more responsibility and stress – are expected to live all round the world if needed and are expected to do these things because of the high salaries they are paid. Doesn’t seem that this fact has leaked through to some players – who of course are spoiled completely – or at least most of them are.
Allardyce – thinks players should lump it more if it’s good for their careers
- We need a good right back and need to bring one in within the next 12 days to beat the transfer deadline. In trying to help Big Sam as much as we can 😀 we look at four right backs who could do a job for Newcastle. The four players are Juliano Belletti of Barcelona, Phil Neville of Everton, Jose Bosingwa of FC Porto and Cicinho of Real Madrid. We think the likely addition to the squad is probably Belletti of Barcelona.
Juliano Belletti – most likely addition to Sam’s squad at right back
- Mark Allison was presented with his own Newcastle shirt at half time yesterday by chairman Chris Mort – the number being 874 – the number of miles Mark ran from John O’Groats to Land’s End. Here’s Mark’s web site and if you can contribute to Mark’s efforts please do so at this just giving site. The fund has just gone over Â£25,000.
Mark Allison – gets his own Newcastle shirt – with an appropriate number
- Finally here’s some funny football quotes – to lighten up the day 😀
“If we played like this every week we wouldn’t be so inconsistent.” – Bryan Robsons
““It wasn’t going to be our day on the night.” – Bryan Robson
“They’ve picked their heads up off the ground, and they now have a lot to carry on their shoulders.” – Ron Atkinson
We always appreciate your comments on our Daily Update.