There is new news being reported on some of Newcastle’s transfer targets today.
We are again linked with Deco and Belletti of Barcelona and we think Sam will sign Juliano this week sometime, although news is leaking through that Barcelona rejected our first bid for the player.
It also looks like we’ll finally land Abdoulaye Faye from Bolton in the next day or two, as the player has turned down a new contract offer from Bolton that would have tripled his wages – presumably to join up again with the big man at Newcastle. There are certainly advantages in having a manager at the club that players want to play for.
- We have our very first poll today on our web-site where we ask you to choose which right back would be best for Newcastle and we list five of them from our article yesterday. The five players are Juliano Belletti of Barcelona, Phil Neville of Everton, Jose Bosingwa of FC Porto, Cicinho of Real Madrid and Leroy Rosenior of Fulham. At the time of writing Belletti of Barcelona leads with 38% of the vote with Cicinho second on 27%. The reports today suggest that Barcelona have rejected Newcastle’s first bid for Belletti but we feel confident that he will be a Newcastle player before next Sunday. Please try to register your vote today.
Barcelona’s Belletti – Newcastle player before next Sunday?
- News today that Abdoulaye Faye will indeed be signing for Newcastle for Â£2M in a day or so. Apparently Bolton have been trying to get him to stay at the Reebok by offering to triple his wages to Â£20K/week but Faye has turned them down. Presumably he wants to rejoin his old boss Big Sam at Newcastle and we’ll certainly be able to match those wages. Abdoulaye will give us extra strength in depth. Wonder if Sam may convert him to right-back?
Abdoulaye Faye – Newcastle player within next two days?
- News again that we are linked not only with Belletti of Barcelona but also Deco. The News of the World yesterday reported that Newcastle may want to offer Emre plus Â£8M to Barcelona for Deco. That’s not a good deal for the club as Deco will be 30 years old next Monday. But we would like to see a creative player brought in before the end of the transfer window although that may have to wait until January.
If you know of any creative player, other than Deco or Riquelme, let us know and we’ll do a poll on which is best for Newcastle – probably tomorrow.
Deco – linked again with joining Newcastle
- Light-hearted story about our ex-player and now firm Newcastle fan Antoine Sibierski. Antoine has started his Wigan career with a bang and has 3 goals in his first 3 games for the club. He talks in this article how Sunderland fans continually booed him on Saturday but then he scored from the penalty spot in the 69th minute. He says it was great to score because after loving his time at Newcastle he is now a firm Newcastle fan. Antoine will be with Wigan at St. James’ on September 1st so we’ll have to give him a good welcome – a really great guy – and yet another new Newcastle supporter. We should really ask him to leave his shooting boots back at Wigan on that Saturday 😀
Antoine Sibierski – Newcastle fan and scorer of penalty against rivals Sunderland
- We take our final review of the Aston Villa game of last Saturday which we know was a bit of a disppointment to most fans. But there were some positives to come out of the game too – which we prefer to concentrate on. First of all it was a good defensive performance in which Rozehnal again was excellent. he can turn out to be a super buy for us and we still need to see cacap in there. Maybe Sam can move Taylor to right back and bring Claudio in at center-back. Claudio is one of the most experienced players at the club and sam will need to start playing him soon. Also some of ouy young players continue to perform well including N’Zogbia, Taylor (although some of our readers think he wasn’t that good) and Milner who continues to get better and better. We’re sure that Martin O’Neil is disappointed he couldn’t have wrapped up the Milner transfer last August – but we’re now very pleased the deal fell through.
James Milner – continues in top form for Newcastle, just like last season
- We quote Sam Alllardyce today on the game last Saturday. Sam says that it’s a game we probably would have lost last season and we agree with that. While the defense wasn’t immaculate against Aston Villa (who also played extremely well) it shows signs of becoming very very tight as the season progresses. Who will fit those center-back spots will also be interesting because in our view we have to get Cacapa in there at some stage shortly. At least Claudio has the distinction of being the 1000th player in the great history of Newcastle United – good for him. The first thing Sam wanted to do was build a good defense to make us hard to beat. He’s now almost done that – and done it well. It will take time to get other bits sorted out like more creative players but he cannot do everything at once – even though we’d all like him too 😀
Sam Allardcye – credit where it’s due – Sam’s done a great job in shoring up Newcastle’s back four
- Finally here’s some funny football quotes – to lighten up the day 😀
“I just wonder what would have happened if the shirt had been on the other foot.” – Joe Royle
““The ref was vertically 15 yards away.” – Kevin Keegan
“One of his strengths is not heading.” – Kevin Keegan
We always appreciate your comments on our Daily Update.