The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Fan Sibierski Scores Against Sunderland

11:13 am, Monday, August 20th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

Antoine Sibierski, who was a real favorite at Newcastle last season when he scored 8 important goals for the club, is doing very well at Wigan Atletic.

Wigan have 6 points from their first 3 games and Antoine has scored 3 times already and is the early leader of the Premier League goalscoring charts, after scoring a penalty in Wigan’s 3-0 win over our arch rivals Sunderland on Saturday.

antoine-sibierski-125.jpg

Antoine Sibiserski – Newcastle fan scores against arch rivals Sunderland

Against Sunderland on Saturday Sibierski scored a 69th minute penalty to send Sunderland skidding to a 3-0 defeat. After his time at Newcastle, where he forged a great relationship with the fans, he is now a self-confessed Geordie fan and only too happy to score against arch rivals Sunderland.

This is what Antoine said after the game.

“I heard what the fans were shouting so of course I’m happy to score against them,”

“I did not want to show them I was upset. They booed me virtually every time I touched the ball but the best way to respond is to play well and, when you play up front like me, to score. That’s what I did.”

“Now they are more upset than I ever could have been in the game. Hopefully the Newcastle fans will be pleased to see I scored against Sunderland because I had a great relationship with them during my year there.”

“I will remember them forever so if I’ve made them happy, it’s so much better. It means a lot to me because I’m a Newcastle fan.”

Sibierski’s second-half penalty was his third goal in as many games for Wigan since joining the Lancashire club on a free transfer from Newcastle.

“Glenn Roeder and I agreed last February there would be a two-year contract, but then we started getting some bad results so we decided to wait until May and I would sign then,”

“Then Glenn got the sack one game before the end of the season and the club still agreed about the contract. However it was only one year.”

“He (then-chairman Freddie Shepherd) also wanted to give me only 40% of my wages and the other 60 based on appearances. If I’d been injured all year, I could have understood it, but that was not the case.”

“ It was a lack of consideration and respect. I told my agent to tell them I was leaving. I was very sad for a month.”

Of Sunderland’s performance on Saturday, the 33-year-old Frenchman added:

“I don’t think Sunderland played very well and I think they can do better. Maybe they had an off-day.”

We would have liked to have kept Antoine at Newcastle but he wouldn’t have played too many games and he’s probably better off at Wigan where he will get a lot of games and goals. Antoine will be with the Wigan side on September 1st when they visit St. James Park. Maybe Antoine can have an off day then?

We’ll have to see, but in any case he’ll get a terrific reception from the fans, that’s for sure, and he deserves it.

Comments very welcome.

Tags: Newcastle News

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 Chris M // Aug 20, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Good on ya Sibs. Above all else he seems a really nice fella. Hope he does well and is happy at Wigan. Cant believe i’m saying this about a frenchie……..

• 2 AlexW // Aug 20, 2007 at 11:53 AM

best free transfer of all time? i think so

• 3 Obafan // Aug 20, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Great guy and a bit sad the way he had to leave out of NUFC. Deserved a lot more respect from fat Freddy.

I’m not a Wigan fan, but every time I see them in MOTD I really hope Sib plays well and at this moment he is doing fantastic. I hope Wigan will not relegate, because there are other teams which I don’t like at all (Fulham, West Ham, Sunderland, Birmingham). Also have to say that Bramble looks very good in their defence. We also have to be honest by stating that they have won 2 important games against teams (Sunderland and Boro) who will be in the relegation zone. So well done Wigan but I think they will have a difficult season.

• 4 rich // Aug 20, 2007 at 12:27 PM

im sad he left but if he had stayed, how would he have ever got in our team?? i suppose id rather have Sib than Ameobi.

@ ED HARRISON:

Think it would be a great idea if you had a small picture of the league table with 2 or 3 teams above and below us.. would save me having to go to sky sports and look at the table all the time :)

• 5 Ed Harrison // Aug 20, 2007 at 1:04 PM

Rich – OK will definitely look at that – thanks for the idea – we are looking for new things to add to the site – we should also have a forum up within next week or two so we can discuss the matches both before and after – so there’s one place to go for match discussion.
    Today’s poll is also the first so it’s a bit of an experiment there – but hope to have polls regularly too. Upward and onward :D

• 6 Obafan // Aug 20, 2007 at 1:32 PM

You’re doing a fantastic job Ed. Thanks to give us the opportunity to discuss everything according to our favourite football club.

• 7 michael // Aug 20, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Ed – On the subject of stats could you get a little OPTA link (They do all the stats on Sky and that.) then we could see who the top tackler, best pass completion, distance run etc. Sell them an ad space now you’ve had a million hits, so you don’t have to pay them. You’d increase the number of visitors I’m sure.
    And more importantly it would give us loads of ammunition against slow poke, tackle missing Stephen Carr.

Here’s there link

• 8 michael // Aug 20, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Actually I quite like Stephen Carr but unfortunately for him he is our worst player at the moment!

• 9 Tez // Aug 20, 2007 at 2:22 PM

@michael – good idea Opta stats would be a good addition to the site.

• 10 Keep Oba // Aug 20, 2007 at 2:41 PM

I decided to play fantasy football this year (my girlfriend is getting into football alot and she wanted to play)…and I took Sibs because he was really cheap and I just knew he scores goals. Somehow someway the man will get the ball in the net, and not just worthless goals too, very important ones usually. And right now hes leading the fantasy world in points. (However I could care less how I do in the fantasy, I care only about the real table and results)…I am glad for Sibs he is getting alot of chances at Wigan, and he will probably do alot to help Wigan fans from hating ex-Toon players like they most certainly will with Titus Bramble. Hope he has a fabulous season (except against Newcastle…well…if we win 4-1 he can have the goal). Would have liked to seen Sibs as a cover for the strikers and some of the mids, but he gets a much better chance at Wigan, where he can help keep them up one more time. But please…Wigan…get some fans. Less than 15,000 for your home opener was depressing.

• 11 Obafan // Aug 20, 2007 at 2:55 PM

@KeepOba: that’s the reason why I do not like Wigan, if you see the EPL games there r always 2 sides who don’t play 1 game for a sold out crowd; Boro and Wigan. For the standards of the EPL these 2 teams are way below the other teams.

• 12 Bob // Aug 20, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Ed – you’re doing a great job here… looking forward to new additions to the site :).

All the suggestions would be great.

• 13 michael // Aug 20, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Ed – I also notice that although Scott Porker and Kieron Dire are still on yer side list of blogs, neither Titf**k Bumble or Anto Sub-erski aren’t. Are you anti-Wigan or could this be a simple oversight?

• 14 Keep Oba // Aug 20, 2007 at 5:17 PM

Yea Boro had big splashes of empty seats in there opener too..and although they have a larger stadium, the game unlike Wigans was on a weekend. But yea those two cities should be ashamed of their attendance. I know Wigan isnt large, but neither is Blackburn and they fill up nicely (although they actually have a quality team to watch). For Boro, there arent too many excuses other than their team is rubbish (but if they are in the Prem, you should be there) and their stadium is in a garbage location. Unfortunately they had to go and beat Fulham (allegedly..that ball was over the line) which for some reason I want to stay up.

• 15 Tripp // Aug 20, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Howay Sibs! I love the guy even though he’s killing me in my fantasy footy league (someone else has him as her captain). This was a good move for Sib and I hope he stays around a few more seasons.

With regards to that Fulham “goal” at boro… What do you guys think about reviews in limited situations? It seems that this sorta thing happens a bit. (In fact Sibs was denied a goal at SJP vs Reading last season on a terrible offside call). Given the extreme importance of ANY goal in a football match, it seems like there should be a review process when there’s any doubt about the goal (or non-goal).

previous post: Big Sam Builds Solid Foundation First