Michael Owen Getting His Sharpness Back

Michael Owen played the first 60 minutes in England’s defeat 2-1 against Germany last night.

This is Michael’s 4th game (or some part of it) in the last 10 days so Michael should be getting back to some level of sharpness. When that returns Michael can usually start to score the goals.

Let’s see what Michael said to the Evening Chronicle today – it’s looking like his confidence is back – and when that happens the goals will surely start to flow.

michael-owen_pa270.jpg

Michael Owen – sharpness, confidence and goals returning? we hope so.

Michael said:

“Everyone would say after an injury it usually takes me two or three games to get fully fizzing about and sharp.”“And hopefully this is the case this time.”

“I wouldn’t say I am happy at all with my performance against Germany.” “I missed two chances and I’m frustrated about that.”

“After the match, when you reflect on it, you look at your own game.”

“I am disappointed I missed a couple of chances, but hopefully I can get a goal or two in the next couple of games.”

“Hopefully, in two weeks and after a couple of good games for Newcastle, I will be even sharper.” “I am fit and who is to say I am not at my sharpest now?”

“When you miss chances you are a bit down after the match, but you always have to focus on the next chance.”

Owen went close to scoring against Germany when he forced a good stop out of Jens Lehmann in the first half and then missed another opportunity when Smith flicked on before Arsenal goalkeeper Lehmann saved again. But Michael is being truthful in admitting he might have scored two.

Michael is looking ahead to the Newcastle match at Middlesbrough on Sunday and also to England’s European qualifiers against Israel and Russia in early September. England have to do well in those two games otherwise England manager Steve McClaren will be under tremendous pressure again. Michael added:

“The fans’ support in the next few games is going to be vital for us.” “These are difficult games and it is going to be a massive week.”

“Last night was disappointing, but those games in two weeks time are much more important.” “I do not believe Germany deserved to win last night.”

“There was a wonder strike from 30 yards and a catalog of errors for the first goal.” “We had a lot more clear-cut chances and I was guilty for missing two of them in the first half.”

“Hopefully, I will be sharper next time.”

Although Michael will probably not start against Middlesbrough, every game he plays will make him that much sharper and goals will start to flow, we have no doubt about that.

Owen continued:

“It is sensible for me to hope for an injury-free season and, if I get that, I have proved over many years I will score goals.”

“Staying fit is the difficult bit, but I feel strong now, as strong as I have for a long time.”

Owen has missed almost two years of his career during his time at Newcastle but hopefully he can contribute this season for a club that has handled his injury situation extremely well. The last time he scored a competitive goal for Newcastle was in December 2005, when his brilliant hat-trick utterly destroyed West Ham. Michael seems to us to have that spark back as he continued:

“These are exciting times and there is plenty to play for both club and country.” “I think the best is still to come from me.”

We hope so because Michael Owen firing on all cylinders will be a huge asset to Newcastle having a great season. That is what we want this year and we’ll have to get back to our winning ways against a struggling Middlesbrough side on Sunday. That would certainly be a good time for Michael to start that goals pipeline flowing again.

• Dirk

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:20 PM

Personally ive been behind owen all the way since he arrived at sjp i no that he ony played bout 16/17 full matches for us but a fully fit owen is an asset to any club, any club with his name on the team sheet has to b a good team and if we hav oba martins challenging him week in week out then i can c him gettin even better than b4! good times ahead for us. As to what owen said all of it was truthfull and well spoken from owen and lets hope England perform in there next few matches!!

• Lamesley Mag

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:34 PM

England and Newcastle need a fully fit Michael Owen and if he stays clear of injury, we should see that happening over the next few weeks.

Hopefully, he’ll get a 30~40 minute run out at Boro to sharpen up his game….

Regardless, Newcastle to win 2-0 and hopefully Owen scores!

• Jerry

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:43 PM

If it was a choice between Martins and Owen, I would choose Martins anyday! Why should Owen just walk back into the team?

• big pea ov the weab

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:47 PM

i here u there martins is proberly 1 ov the reasons we never went down last year that n the fact that the teams below us were a bit shiter helped a wee bit

• Lawman

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:00 PM

well, with 4 games in 10 days he should be a lot sharper than his england display. missed one or two absolute sitters. Martins would’ve finished off those chances with ease.

Although Dirk has a point, owen is still an asset, but his fitness level and injury history worries me. I’m just afraid that Liverpool got the best years out of Micheal Owen.

From a commercial point of view, he is still valuable though and also good for attracting new players to the club.

• Alex

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:14 PM

just read on the bbc sport that chelsea have completed the signing of belletti.with bolton now seamingly trying to stop faye from joining the toon i wonder if sam will get anybody else in before the end of august.

• Evan

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:15 PM

I think everyone is selling Owen short. He’s had a run of tough injuries, but I don’t think he’s any worse off. He’s only 27, and that’s not that old for a striker. I am confident he will put his injuries behind him. I believe him when he says he’s stronger now than he ever was prior. He’s working harder to become less injury prone – common human behavior. I have faith in him to score plenty of goals and to lead the Newcastle attack. He just needs to get back his fitness and scoring touch, and we should be well on our way to at least a top 6 finish.

• Danger Mouse

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:28 PM

No need to worry about that creative mid position, no we are not in for Bentley (still dreaming), we are now the favorites to land Sir Furgie’s illigitimate son Darren Fletcher.

So Chelsea have taken Belletti and it looks like the Villans are taking Boswinga. I can’t believe we are entering ANOTHER season with Carr as our only recognized RB. While I consider Nobby a better alternative I do not consider him a recognized RB and it appears BSA does not consider Geremi a RB either.

And to all of you putting Taylor in as your RB, no no no no no. He is our CB for the future and there is absolutely no sense at all playing him at RB, none! I think BSA has said enough about Taylor’s development to make me confident he will go down the Roed of playing him out of position.

4,4,2
    Geremi/Nobby, Capaca, Taylor/Roz, Enrique
    Milner, Smith/Butt, Barton/Emre, Zogs,
    Oba/Owen, Ameobi/Viduka

4,3,3,

Geremi, Capaca, Taylor/Roz, Enrique
    Smith, Butt/Faye?, Barton/Nobby
    Milner/Oba, Owen/Duka/Shola, Zogs

• Alex

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:07 PM

There are reports today in the dutch newspaper de telegraaf that a delagation from ajax flew into newcastle this morning to begin talks over a transfer for Luque.

• shearyadi

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:51 PM

I saw his great heading, and his better chance to have an equalize for England, when he suddenly have the ball back from another sloppy goalkeeping by Lehmann. It was a fifty-fifty chance imho, as Owen must have not thought about that precious gift from Lehmann.

If Owen has finally back on his 100% fitness, he is far more dangerous than Oba Martins. Or…we would have both up front to terrorize opponent defenders.

• Ed Harrison

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Alex – disappointed about Belletti – but I suppose he wanted European Champions league. Be good if Luque could get to a club that would play him.

• Hadji

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:40 PM

I dont understand one thing.Why can’t Owen(when fully fit) and Martins start the game together.Those two should have their positions sealed not Viduka.There’s no need to choose between them two,just put them together,and play Viduka in the last 20 min.

• Alex

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:46 PM

Hadji
    If sam plays 4-3-3 then you could see Oba-viduka-owen start as the front 3. that would scare any defence in the premership.

• Bill F

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:50 PM

I also are puzzled as to why Nobby aint playing, also Geremi played RB for Chelsea many times sucessfully. I suppose we have to face the facts that till we have a team in Europe we will not attract the top players.

• Tom_Toon

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:53 PM

very glad belletti hasn’t come, although we need a rb.

Rafinha – To0 weak and to expensive
    Miguel – Too expensive
    Ferriera – Dont think he will be sold and will be back up.

Chidi Odiah – Perfect soltuion! Check him out guys.

• Hadji

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Exactly Alex,that’s my point.But i rather use 4-3-1-2 where Smith can play just behind Martins and Owen.But if Sam decides to play 4-3-3 then its really good to play all 3 of them.I don’t think that he’ll use 4-3-3 formation for long cause we have so many good midfielders,he’ll use it untill Emre,Barton and Duff are injured.Has anyone considered using Croatia’s formation from France 98 which is 5-4-1.It brought them the 3rd place,and if they were little more lucky they could have been in the final.

• Shaun Dean

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:16 PM

…………………….Given…………………………

Geremi…..Taylor…..Rozehnal…..Enrique

……….Barton…..Diop…..N’Zogbia………..

……….Milner…..Viduka…..Martins………

Keep:- Owen,Smith,Duff,Emre,Capaca,Harper
    Keep for Short Term:- Butt,Ameobi,Carr,Ramage,Solano
    In:- Papa Bouba Diop, Creative Midfeilder, Right-Back
    Out:- Babayaro,Luque

I think we need to sign a few more players and i think Papa Bouba Diop who is available would be an amazing signing his physical presence and imtimadating look as well as his footballing ability for a fee in the region of 2.5m – 4m is a steal in my view. Also with Dyer gone and and Solano soon to be gone either this season or for definate next season i think we need another creative player prefably right sided and i think we all know that a right-back is a must as Carr simply cant cut it. I really hope that Big Sam makes a few more good signings as i think it will ensure European qualification at the very least especially with other teams such as Everton and Tottenham and even Manchester City investing in very good players.

• Dirk

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:43 PM

What is it with every1 and bringing in a creative midfielder, we have barton emre and duff! all quality players and very creative to come off the injury list untill then we already hav zog and milner as very creative players milner is very creative and can explode any moment. new players we need are another lb cover as babayaro mite aswell not be on the team sheet, 1 new rb and id keep carr as he is good cover, and if not him then theres geremi solano cacapa and taylor who can play there. dm butt and geremi are good but as butt is gettin on now i think we need sum1 young to come in to fill in there. Back to owen he should not walk into the first team but having him on any team is gr8 for investment and with his talent is amazing covr if martins was to get injured.
    shaun dean – i agree with sum of the things u are saying bu the 1s i jus dont agree are buyin diop, hes not a threat to teams and a waste of money, everton man city and tottenham may hav invested in ‘good’ players but just remember who e big four are, what there capable of and that there are another 35/36 games left which could end up showing these players as either good season players or short term players.

• Dingo

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:31 AM

right…. well as Sam said… he would like a ‘galactico’ after his transfers are done for the season… it would be a nice present form MA…… 25mil for Alves… that would be xmas early IMO…. cummon MIke do what every toon owner has done in the past… pay a vast amount of money for one player… this time a RB!!!!! hahahah would be mint… sry bit pissed but hey.. 😛

• geordie_jordan

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:20 AM

duff is about as creative as an accountant’s convention. i think he’s wank

• geordie_jordan

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:16 AM

it worries me to hear that we may only be signing one more player this transfer window. we NEED another GK and a right back who is faster than my grandmother. i would LIKE a big, bang, wow signing, but it is probably a bridge too far. i think van der vaart would be fantastic, but a STEEP price tag. i liked sneijder too but he signed for real? i think.
    i feel we will get edmilson in the january window. but that will probably be it in my opinion unless we’re floundering…
    also, heard we might be selling luque to ajax. BRILLIANT. get that wage stealer out of here and sign someone worthwhile for his money.

• Toon Chicken

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:43 AM

Obviously Michael Owen is not just going to walk back into the team without proving himself first. But once he is fully match sharp I think he should be the first name on the team sheet.

I know a lot of Toon fans probably have a bit of a bad taste in their mouths with what has gone on regarding Owen over the last couple of years, myself included. But he has NEVER said he wanted to leave and he is still a Newcastle player.

And perhaps the most important thing. IT’S MICHAEL BLOODY OWEN. He’s one of the best strikers and goalscorers in the world, never mind the Premiership, and he plays for NUFC.

I like Martins, don’t get me wrong, but Owen is a world class proven goalscorer and Martins is far from the finished product. Watching Owen play can only help Martins develop. In 2 years time perhaps Martins will be even better than Owen. But for now Viduka and Owens up front (when fully fit) and Martins to be an explosive game-breaker in the last 20-30 minutes.

• magpie_boy

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:41 PM

with the 4-3-3 formation its a good thing but owen is not used at playing as a winger striker but as for martins we can see he is used to that kinda of formation cause he used to play dat formation in intermilan i think it would be better to play 4-4-2 cause we have alot of creative players in that area and maybe try to find the best pair of strikers by either martins-owen,ameobi-viduka,owen-viduka and see which of these would really click and do wonders.