The Abdoulaye Faye transfer saga drags on and apparently Newcastle and Bolton still can’t agree on the structure of a deal for the Bolton defender. However, Sam says again he hopes to sign Faye before the transfer window closes next Friday.
Juliano Belletti signed for Chelsea yesterday for around Â£4M. Chelsea only approached Barcelona for him on Wednesday and Jose Mourinho says the deal was done within 24 hours. A sensible buy for Chelsea we think. Since Newcastle have been interested in Belletti for a number of weeks – if we are to believe the news reports – we assume he just didn’t want to come to Newcastle – end of story.
We’ll have our match preview on Newcastle United vs Middlesbrough tomorrow – and if you have comments on the match please take a look in our Match Review section of our new Newcastle United Forum – where a number of our readers have already commented on the game.
We’ll review those comments as we put our preview together for tomorrow. A good game for Newcastle this season will be a win with a clean sheet and that’s what we’ll be shooting for tomorrow. Hopefully the lads will put on a good display to overcome the disappointment of last week.
- We had put together a piece on six creative midfielders for Newcastle and asked you to vote on who would be best at Newcastle if Sam wanted to improve his midfield creativity. We had over 950 votes and to our surprise Van der Vaart of Hamburg won with 35% of the vote. The 24 year-old Dutch player has played over 40 times already for Holland so he’s clearly a good player. Deco was second on 25% and Riquelme had 24%. We thought one of those two players would have won the vote. Anyway, thanks to all those who voted.
News today that Barcelona are willing to sell Deco before the transfer window closes next Friday – but how many times have we heard that one?
Winner: Van der Vaart
- News today that Bolton are missing the influence of Sam Allardyce a lot. Ivan Campo says:
“The team is not well. Weâ€™ve lost three matches and it seems to me there is a very sad atmosphere in the dressing room.â€
That’s probably the last thing Sammy Lee wants to hear as he tries to right the Bolton boat against Reading tomorrow – but it won’t be easy. A defeat to Reading would really have the red flags flying and Lee will have to turn the club around fairly quickly if they are not to get swamped in a relegation fight this season. It’s also not helping that many players have expressed a desire to leave Bolton.
Ivan Campo– things are not right at Bolton Wanderers
- A deal is said to be close to take Albert Luque to Ajax in Holland. We really hope this deal goes through but we point out this will not be easy since Luque’s wages at Newcastle are close to Â£60K/week and to move he may have to take a wage cut. Whether the deal is a transfer or a loan deal has not yet been decided. we would prefer a loan deal because if Luque plays well we could get something for him – which seems rather dubious at the moment.
Albert Luque– move to Ajax could prove difficult
- We include a piece in the latest transfer situation at Newcastle as we currently understand it with but a week remaining in the transfer window. We hope we can get Faye in from Bolton but that deal is not looking too golden at the moment. We’d also like Sam to bring in another right-back. Juliano Belletti signed for Chelsea yesterday for about Â£4M – and the deal was done in a short 24 hours – so we think Belletti didn’t want to join Newcastle.
Juliano Belletti– didn’t want to join Newcastle?
- We have a piece on Steven Taylor and stick our necks out to say we think he can be at least as good as John Terry. Sam has given Steven some great advice and we hope he follows it. Looks from the initial comments that not everybody agrees with our assessment but we are big fans of Steven and believe if he listens to Sam and keeps his feet firmly on the ground he can become England’s next center-back. He’s the unfinished product right now, still charges in too much – but his play and attitude to us make him a star of the future.
Steven Taylor – can become great if he listens to Sam and keeps his feet on the ground
- Newcastle have a new third strip introduced yesterday. Exactly why that’s the case since we are not in Europe is only because the club probably needs the money. We like the new strip which is white and pale blue and modeled by Jose Enrique. However, comments from our readers aren’t so positive. We’ve had so much interest that we’ll keep this news in today also.
Jose Enrique– still looks bored but we think the strip and Jose look good
- We feature a good deal for Newcastle fans announced today by the club and details sent to us overnight on the deal. If a season ticket holder purchases a season ticket for the 2008/09 season they can enjoy a free seat at every home cup match Newcastle play both this season and next. That includes possible European games next season. This is the kind of deal the club needs to make with their supporters and it’s good financial process by the club. Hopefully a win-win for supporter and club. Since the club will get some revenue now for next season’s season tickets – hopefully that will help pay down some of the club’s outstanding debt.
- Finally here’s some choice football quotes – to lighten up the day 😀
“It is a title decider. But it’s not going to decide any titles just yet.” – Michael Owen
“All Newcastle fans need to know is that I will be giving everything for their cause now.” – Michael Owen
“I felt a lump in my mouth as the ball went in.” – Terry Venables
We always appreciate your comments on our Daily Update.