We’ll have our match preview on Newcastle United vs Middlesbrough tomorrow – and if you have comments on the match please take a look in our Match Review section of our new Newcastle United Forum – where a number of our readers have already commented on the game.
We expect a clean sheet and a win (2-0).
That will give us 7 points from the first 3 games and be a very good start indeed to the season.
- We have our preview of tomorrow’s Newcastle vs Middlesbrough game. We would hope for both a win and a clean sheet. In truth Middlesbrough have not had a good start to the season and will be without their best player Johathan Woodgate tomorrow. Woodgate is injured again. The opportunity is there for Newcastle to return to their form of two weeks ago against Bolton Wanderers. However, we must continue to do well in defense and a clean sheet would be very welcome. Then we just need a single goal from midfield or the forwards to capture the full 3 points. That will give us a great start of 7 points for the first three games. Our next two league games are Wigan Athletic at home and Derby County away – so there’s a possible 6 points from those games too.
Michael Owen – a goal would be most welcome tomorrow at the Riverside
- Sam spoke yesterday to the Evening Chronicle and wants the cutting edge back in Newcastle’s play. That was certainly missing last week at Aston Villa. But our players are coming back and we only have 4 on the injury table – Given, Babayaro, Barton and Duff. By the way a date of September 1st has been set for Shay’s come-back so we have to hope that they’ve fixed whatever problem he has had with the groin. Michael Owen is raring to go so we think there’s very healthy competition building up in the squad and hopefully we’ll do very well tomorrow. A win will raise the mood on Tyne-side – that’s a certainty.
Sam Allardyce– wants the cutting edge back against Middlesbrough tomorrow
- With Chelsea having just signed Juliano Belletti from Barcelona last Thursday we think Glen Johnson may be available so we look today at the possibility of Sam being interested. Glen is a good young player having just turned 23 on Thursday and he improve a lot under Sam’s guidance. But Glen hasn’t fulfilled his early promise when he was playing for the West Ham first team at 18 years old. Aston Villa are said to be interested and the fee of â‚¤6M for him seems high.
Glen Johnson– available from Chelsea for â‚¤6M?
- We’ve said before that the adverse criticism of Newcastle’s performance against Aston Villa was a bit over the top. Turns out that Sam was also surprised by the level of criticism of the players and the club last weekend. Sam’s hoping for a much better performance from the team tomorrow against Middlesbrough. We think with Sam being so positive he’s not too thrilled by the pessimism that still exists on Tyne-side. But as Sam says – that’s the way it is.
Sam Allardcye– surprised by severe criticism after Aston Villa game
- Newcastle have a new third strip introduced Thursday. We like the new strip which is white and pale blue and modeled by Jose Enrique. However, comments from our readers aren’t so positive. We’ve had so much interest that we’ll keep this news in today also.
Jose Enrique– think Jose look good in our new strip
- We feature a good deal for Newcastle fans announced yesterday by the club and details sent to us on the deal. If a season ticket holder purchases a season ticket for the 2008/09 season they can enjoy a free seat at every home cup match Newcastle play both this season and next. That includes possible European games next season. This is the kind of deal the club needs to make with their supporters and it’s good financial process by the club. Hopefully a win-win for supporter and club. Since the club will get some revenue now for next season’s season tickets – hopefully that will help pay down some of the club’s outstanding debt.
- Finally here’s some choice football quotes – to lighten up the day 😀
“You’ve got to miss them to score sometimes.” – Dave Bassett
“We couldn’t hit a donkey’s arse with a frying pan.” – Dave Bassett
“The spirit he has shown has been second to none.” – Terry Venables, on Terry Fenwick’s drunk-driving charge
We always appreciate your comments on our Daily Update.