Give Michael Owen a Chance at Newcastle

Michael Owen has had bad luck since he moved to Newcastle.

That’s probably a huge understatement. He has also been involved in lots and lots of media-talk about him leaving Newcastle and that’s also probably a huge under-statement.

Michael gave a great interview with the News of the World today and he comes across as not only very dedicated to Newcastle but also a very sensible young lad.

michael-owen_nufc_profile_2007.jpg

Michael Owen – dedicated to Newcastle but why do few people believe him?

We think everybody needs to lay off Michael and give the lad a chance and there’s no doubt in our minds he’ll come through big time for Newcastle. It’s unfortunate Michael’s been so great since he was 18 years-old and this is the type of publicity he has had – and has got used to. But most of it is pure nonsense and on the negative side.

Let’s take a look at what Michael had to say today – it’s all very sensible and down to earth.

“I’ve only been at Newcastle two years and the speculation’s been unbelievable. At the end of every season, people were asking ‘Is Michael Owen going to stay or not?’”

“I live up there and and my kids have been to school up there for two years. There is this perception that I divide my life between living in the north west and Newcastle.”

“Well, I’m up there Monday through until Saturday. If we get a Sunday off, I’ll sometimes fly out after the game and spend the day with my parents and family.”

“Then I’ll fly back up on Monday and spend the rest of the week there. Even my team-mates say ‘Are you up here today?’ and I say ‘Yes, like I am every day’.”

“Since I’ve been at Newcastle, people have been thinking I’ll leave. A lot think there’s an agenda but there’s not.”

“There was a release clause in my contract that no one was supposed to be privy to but if people go and mention that I can’t help it.”

Despite being only 27, and having already had 9 years in big time football, Owen admits he is planning for his retirement by opening his own stables in Cheshire.

Michael continued:

“You get older, you go a bit grey and get a bit slower. Once we start getting closer to 30 and into our early thirties, we are not supermen.”

“We are normal people. It happened to Alan Shearer and it will happen to me.”

“But I’m only 27 and still in my prime. I feel quick and strong. I probably have had to modify my game. When I was a whipper-snapper I was sprinting down the channels, beating hundreds of players and crossing balls in.”

“I was creating as many as I was scoring when I was a kid. Obviously, I’ve had to adapt my game because I’ve lost a yard of pace from all those hamstring injuries.”

“When I was 17-18, I was a greyhound and it would be hard to get as quick as that again. I play more in the penalty box than I used to but I know where the ball’s going to drop better than most.”

The acquisition of a very good striker force at Newcastle probably takes a lot of pressure off Michael, because he will not be expected to be the only one to score goals. But it is time for Newcastle fans to embrace Michael. He’s never ever said one bad thing about the club or the Newcastle area – in fact only good things.

Not many players have had the bad luck Michael has had in the last two years. We hope he does very well this year for Newcastle United – he certainly deserves to.

• Graeme

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Owen is a class act, always has been, always will be. BSA will have him fitter than he has been in years and the end result is goals. Thats what he does, thats what he loves – scoring!!!!

In a few weeks, when he starts knocking them in for fun, everyone will be happy and all the crap being bandied about will be a thing of the past. Form is temporary, class is permanant!!!!!

• Graeme

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:20 AM

I know this is off message, but Sky news just announced Arse Nil have made a bid of £9 mill for Martins!!! Newcastle is reported to be very interested!!!! Anyone have any more info on this?? ED??

• SPOTtheZEBRA

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Why would we let Martins leave for that price when the get out clause is £13 million ?

• Alex

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Graeme-Its yet more media bullshit.The clause in Martins contract is for 13million .The player himself has repeatedly stated that he is happy and wants to stay in Newcastle.For 9million Arsenal have not got a chance in hell.Owens get out clause is 9 million!

• Velok

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Nothing of the kind on skysports.co.uk…
    Why would we be “very tempted” to sell for 9 mil when we paid 10?
    If Martins goes, it’s because somone activated his 13mil release clause….

• Darren

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Owen talks a good talk but does he think we are stupid?

When the rumours of him leaving began at the end of last season there was one way he could have nipped them in the bud immediately – by stating he was definitely staying. However he didn’t say a word, the reason being he was waiting to see who came in for him. Now the transfer window is coming to a close and none of the top four have shown an interest, he is coming out stating his dedication to the Newcastle cause.

I don’t care what he says now, if a top four club had of come in for him he would have been off.

• steve

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:32 AM

skysports news were reporting on a news of the world article and we all know the n.o.w writes the truth don’t we 🙂

• Darren

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Well it is mentioned on the Guardian website too and that ain’t a rag

• SPOTtheZEBRA

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Darren, if a top four club came in for ANY of our players how many do you reckon would want to stay ? So why is Owen singled out in this respect ? I just cant understand this anti-Owen stance by some Newcastle fans.

• Darren

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Not many players would stay if a top 4 team came in for them, I know that although many on here don’t (look at the messages stating Martins would knock back Man U etc)

The reason I am annoyed with Owen is that I believe he owes us at least a season as he has barely played for us.

For that reason he should have come out and said he was staying at the start. He didn’t because, contrary to belief, Owen is like most footballers – self centred. He would have went.

If one of the top four came in for Taylor and he said he wanted to go I’d be disappointed but I’d wish him well. Same goes for Milner etc.

If Owen goes next august fair enough but at this moment in time he owes us a hell of a lot, that is why I am not his greatest fan and why many others have issues with him too.

• Alex

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Darren-Owen has never stated that he wants to leave.Lets be honest why would he ,no other club appart from Chelsea would pay him the wages he is on at newcastle and come next august he wont want to leave because we will be in the champions league next season!

• Darren

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Owen didn’t state he wanted to stay either, which I think he should have considering the amount of speculation & the fact he’d played 12 or so games over two seasons.

You ask why would he leave? For success.

His two years here have earned him in the region of £10m and he was a multi-millionaire before coming here. He isn’t short of cash.

He would have signed for Liverpool from Madrid had they matched our 17m offer for him, and he would have been on far less at Anfield. As it is Liverpool wouldn’t cough up and we had to offer stupendous wages to get him to come here. Even Sven said he only came for the dosh.

• AndyW

Aug 26, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Reading between the lines I think MO is wee bit pi**ed off with the speculation and doubts. Remember Oba has a similar buy out clause and was virtually asking for someone to take him back to Italy over the summer but we all love him.

Knowing what we do now (i,e, apparent difficulties with cash flow) I think the club would have taken the money for either if it had been offered. If it had beem for Owen then he would have looked like a idiot saying “I’m commited to Newcastle” only for the club to sell him. None of us knows whats been going on behind closed doors over the summer but the point is its gone, lets get behind Michael and hope we see a return to form – at least until January!