We’ll have our match preview on Newcastle United vs Middlesbrough today and as we mentioned yesterday we expect a clean sheet and a win (2-0).
A win is needed to ensure the Bolton performance was not just a flash in the pan. That will give us 7 points from the first 3 games and be a very good start indeed to the season.
Still no new news on the transfer front but we’d like to see Abdoulaye Faye – who was again left out of the Bolton squad yesterday in their good 3-0 win over Reading – come into the squad. One more player – a right-back, would also be good and we are linked with Glen Johnson and Lassana Diarra of Chelsea.
- We have an interview today with Sam Allardyce where he indicates all was not well in the dressing room when he arrived at Newcastle in mid May. Sam has brought in 7 players since then – all of whom seem to have that winning attitude and doggedness to succeed. Needless to say Sam thinks the atmosphere in the dressing room is much improved now. You certainly need that confidence and will to win in the squad if we are to end the 38 year trophy drought. Sam has done great since he came in – still hoping for 2 more players in before Friday.
Sam Allardcye – dressing room now a lot more upbeat and confident
- A very revealing interview this morning with Nicky Butt. Signed in 2004 by Bobby Robson – just before Bobby was sacked – Nicky has had 4 managers now at Newcastle. But in this interview he sings the praises of Big Sam and compares him with Alex Ferguson at Manchester United. That’s a huge compliment for Sam – who is good friends with Sir Alex. Nicky also talks about his desire to finish out his career at Newcastle.
Nicky Butt – Big Sam reminiscent of Sir Alex Ferguson
- We’ve just about had enough of all this takeover nonsense at Newcastle. You can bet that lots of investors see Newcastle United as an excellent long term investment. There’s little doubt in our minds that if Ashley wanted to make a quick â‚¤50M profit by selling Newcastle now – he could do it. But we don’t think he’s in just for the short term – because that what he and Chris Mort continue to say – and we believe them. If he could get an extra â‚¤50M now – just think what Newcastle could be worth in 3-4 years when we are up there in the Premiership and back in Europe – at least â‚¤300M – and that’s being conservative.
Mike Ashley – too smart to sell Newcastle for a quick â‚¤50M profit
- Michael Owen gives a very good interview today to the news of the World. Michael talks about his two years at Newcastle and that he’s never ever said he wants to leave Newcastle. We also note that Owen has never said one bad word about the club or the Newcastle area. So why all the constant news about him wanting to leave? Well most of this is in the media and we guess this is the type of thing that follows you around when you’re a super-star like Michael. We think it’s time to give Michael a break at the club and we’re sure he’ll produce for us big time. After all not many players have had Michael’s terrible luck these last 2 years – through no fault of his own.
Michael Owen – let’s give Michael a break, and he’ll really produce for us
- Sam spoke Friday to the Evening Chronicle and wants the cutting edge back in Newcastle’s play. That was certainly missing last week at Aston Villa. But our players are coming back and we only have 4 on the injury table – Given, Babayaro, Barton and Duff. By the way a date of September 1st has been set for Shay’s come-back so we have to hope that they’ve fixed whatever problem he has had with the groin. Michael Owen is raring to go so we think there’s very healthy competition building up in the squad and hopefully we’ll do very well today. A win will raise the mood on Tyne-side – that’s a certainty.
Sam Allardyce – wants the cutting edge back against Middlesbrough tomorrow
- With Chelsea having just signed Juliano Belletti from Barcelona last Thursday we think Glen Johnson may be available so we look today at the possibility of Sam being interested. Glen is a good young player having just turned 23 on Thursday and he improve a lot under Sam’s guidance. But Glen hasn’t fulfilled his early promise when he was playing for the West Ham first team at 18 years old. Aston Villa are said to be interested and the fee of â‚¤6M for him seems high.
News today (Sunday) that we may also be pursuing Lassana Diarra of Chelsea for the right back position so we’ll leave this piece in from yesterday.
Glen Johnson– available from Chelsea for â‚¤6M?
- Finally here’s some choice football quotes from Kevin Keegan – to lighten up the day 😀
“It could be far worse for me if it was easy for me.” – Kevin Keegan
“I want more from David Beckham. I want him to improve on perfection.” – Kevin Keegan
“The Germans only have one player under 22, and he’s 23.” – Kevin Keegan
We always appreciate your comments on our Daily Update.