Newcastle Takeover Talk is Just Nonsense

There has been continued talk in the papers that Mike Ashley will sell Newcastle United at the right price and that price is rising – probably every month.

Mike got the club at a very reasonable price of ₤133M and with Chris Mort installed as the new chairman has gone about getting Newcastle financially ship-shape in terms of already decreasing the ₤80M debt down to ₤50M.

The two are doing a good job at Newcastle and other investors are probably realizing that Newcastle United could be an excellent long term buy. That’s one reason Ashley is a good businessman – he got in first.

mikeashley-2.jpg

Newcastle Owner Mike Ashley – Newcastle being put in good financial position for the long term

Chairman Chris Mort has also just got Albert Luque off the books. While we think Albert is a good player and will do well at his new club, Ajax, he wouldn’t have got many games this season on Tyne-side and so it’s a good deal all around. Newcastle have removed Albert’s ₤60K/week wages off the Newcastle wage bill, an excellent move financially for a fringe player.

The reclusive Ashley has insisted he isn’t looking for a quick sale, despite being linked with interest from consortiums in both China and Iceland and another potentially in America. Ashley paid ₤133M for the club but Newcastle United could probably be sold for a lot more now, there’s little doubt about that.

With the good start Ashley and Mort have made, not to mention the great work of new manager Sam Allardyce, it’s not surprising that Newcastle may be seen as a good buy. But Ashley is no fool and he knows a good deal when he sees one. Newcastle can be worth a lot more in 3-4 years time when they are challenging for the Premiership and back in Europe again.

So while these stories of buy-outs may keep coming up in the press we would be well advised to take them with a large pinch of salt. Just to bolster the case we make – Sam said today:

“I’ve done such a great job in the short time I’ve been here that it appears the value of the club has soared.”

“But no, Mike (Ashley) and Chris Mort, the chairman, tell me it’s nonsense.”

“As far as I’m concerned, and I’ve been talking to both of them, it’s just speculation and there’s a lot of that about.”

There’s little doubt that Big Sam is the right man for the job at Newcastle and we’re sure he’ll bring success to the club at long last. A good win today at Middlesbrough will be a big help in that.

• Swanx

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:38 AM

I think this is just the press trying to cause some unrest after it looks like we are just starting to turn the club around. They are trying to put us down even before even break into the top 4 so the club must have the southern favoured press worried.

• Beastie

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:49 AM

I Think Big mike will stay with us for the long term, hopefully a five even ten year plan to take the club back to the top! I think for bringing 7 players in with hopefully two more to follow and only spending 7 million with the players who have left is great business for the club, you can tell we have proper business blokes running the club! If we manage a top 8 or top 6 finish then great, more money into the club, big names might be tempted to join! lets hope we have a great win over the smogs today, even the mackems were hopin we beat them when i bumped into them this mornin!

• apan

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:50 AM

pure crap, btw ed i heard newcastle is after peter luccin, it could be nice if u could put an article about this player thanx

• Rob Kirton

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:51 AM

I cannot beleive some of the commnets this morning in some of the press and other web sites. When I saw the comments about Ashley hoping to “scare off” preditors with a price tag of £225 million, I fell of my perch laughing.

There is no need to “scare off” anybody, the club is his until he decides to sell. He may indeed be intending to sell and is inviting bids at that very same price. If he is intending to “scare off” people, why not say £2 billion !

Looks like tomorrows chip wrappers to me

• Graeme

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:54 AM

The structure now in place is geared to long term success, not short term gain, even though its there to be made. With BSA in charge of the Football side of things, Mort & Ashley looking after the Financial side of the club, we have never been in better hands, no matter what Fat Freddy may say about it.

Long may it continue.

• Beastie

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:57 AM

graeme totally agree thats what a was trying to put across!

• Arthur Prince

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:48 AM

I agree w ith Graeme and Beastie . BSA has been great in clearing out the deadwood and as Nicky Butt is saying BSA has the Demeanour of Alex Ferguson . The way he has set about it and what he has achieved in 3months at the club is top draw . Mike Ashley and Chris Mort I am sure reckognise that Sam has pushed the value and the Status of the club better than nearly anybody else could have doneso. They have been astute as businessmen and as long as they continue to run the club well then they will also reap the rewards in the future .BUT BSA must be able to run the Football as he seees fit for he wins or loses by his actions and the Teams performances on the pitch and the EPL is a tough place to be in . See What has happened to Martin Jol cant see Spurs in top 4 this year at all could even face the sack soon if results go against him .So BSA is saying “do it my way ” and I will deliver . MA and CM must support him all the way so I cant see the club being sold for some time yet until we havce had success for some time and then why sell he has got a lot of moneyalready so he should just enjoy the success when it comes . This PM should see how far we have come by the performance against the Smogs

• Sean

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:17 AM

I was initially concerned about it all but now that I’ve actually thought it through, it would make no sense for Ashley to sell now. We don’t have the draw of any European football, if we are honest, we aren’t going to be challenging for the title for a few years; both of which would make us a fair more promising proposition financially, he’s just spent £30m to clear some of the club’s debt and he installed his top man as chairman. I really can’t see this turning into anything, at least not for 5-10 years at least, but hopefully by then we’ll be turned around completely.

• Darren

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Would any of you be tempted by a near £100m profit though? He is a businessman.

• Graeme

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:42 AM

But why take £100 million now, when he can double that and more in 18 months??? He will make that anyway on his sporting businesses. Dont be suprised if the only places you can buy an NUFC shirt are in his shops!!! I know thats what I would do!!!! In the grand scheme of things, £100 mill is peanuts mate.

• Graeme

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:44 AM

On a £2 billion fortune, he makes that in interest every year!!!!!!