The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Oba Martins Is Staying at Newcastle

9:00 am, Tuesday, August 28th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

With only three days to go before the transfer window slams shut you just knew the press would bring up an Oba Martins move to Arsenal ….. again.

Even though Martins has said he is committed to Newcastle United, despite interest from Arsenal, the press will not leave it alone.

Now the story being spread around is that Sam will need to sell Martins before bringing in defensive reinforcements this week.

Please – give me a break.

oba-martins-goal-against-bolton.jpg

Oba Martins – scoring against Bolton – he’s going nowhere

The other ridiculous news filling the news pages is that Arsenal are said to be bidding only ₤9M because they think Newcastle will do a quick deal – even though Oba’s release clause is set at ₤13M. If that’s true Newcastle can simply turn down the offer that’s made.

So we think this is all paper talk and we’d like to shoot it down in flames. Martins, who is still only 22 years-old, when asked if he was flattered by Arsenal’s reported interest told the Sun this morning:

“Flattered? Well, maybe, you must be doing something nice to be linked with a club like Arsenal.

“If it’s true, I must say it was a good thing to have interested a club like Arsenal. But I have a club, which I am happy about.”

“I am committed to the Newcastle cause.”

“I am employed by Newcastle and I owe them my dedication and that is it.” “I am ready to fight for a place.”

Despite competition from Michael Owen and Mark Viduka, Martins wants to sign a new long-term deal on Tyne-side, maybe for up to six years. Good for you Oba.

Newcastle United boss Sam Allardyce has shrugged off Obafemi Martins’ frustrations of Sunday, when he was substituted by Michael Owen in the second half. Martins made it clear he was unhappy at being substituted for the third game in a row when he trooped off to be replaced by Owen. He was also reported to be the first United player on the team bus and when it was pointed out to Sam Allardyce that the Nigerian striker did not look too happy, Sam told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle:

“That’s probably because I brought him off.”

Sam has that ability to get straight to the core of the matter doesn’t he?      :D

End of story – Oba and out.

Tags: Newcastle News · Obafemi Martins · Players

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 Arthur Prince // Aug 28, 2007 at 9:14 AM

Aye . Straight talking by Sam . As I have previously said Oba will be subbed when BSA wants to change things on the pitch . Oba will have to get used to this like everyone else . NO Primma Donnas we have had enough of that in the past . It also makes sense to allow Michael Owen time on the pitch so as to get match fit which we need for England as well but mainly for NUFC .
    He will soon learn who is boss although I dont think Sam is one for throwing footballboots around in the dressing rooms I am sure he has ways of saying who is boss !!!!

• 2 Beastie // Aug 28, 2007 at 9:27 AM

exactly, brilliant to hear oba come out n say that and it finally looks like we have a manager who says it how it is! i just think oba can improve so much under sam even though he is class now but he can learn from viduka and owen on a few things! am sure all is well with big sam and the lads and hope we can finally build a sqaud that can go on to better things! also how class was it to see big mike jumpin up and down like one of us in the directors box in his newcastle top what a legend!!!!

• 3 Lamesley Mag // Aug 28, 2007 at 9:33 AM

We need to keep Martins if we’re to achieve anything this season, so it’s good news if he commits hs future at Newcastle.

£9M is not enough for a player that is worth more than the £13M buy out clause, so don’t expect Ashley or Mort to sanction a move. After all, they are business men?

• 4 ende // Aug 28, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Martins is quickly becoming the Manny Ramirez of Newcastle.

Oba and out. haha, love it

• 5 rich // Aug 28, 2007 at 9:41 AM

im glad Oba was annoyed at being subbed, i think we would all be more concerned if he was happy with not playing football?? easy way for him to stop getting subbed and thats to cause more problems for the other team.

I said it yesterday, and it drives me crazy… Oba has came out 3 times now and said hes staying put at NUFC and hes very happy with life in the Toon but yet the press dont run any stories like they did yesterday when Berbatov said:

‘Spurs have given me a wage increase i am happy for now’

so Sky Sports & BBC run stories titled ‘Berbatov pledges future to Spurs’ when he didnt really just said he was happy at the moment. Oba on the other hand has said he will sign 6,7 or 8 year deal however long the toon want and the only story i can find is Sky fricken Sports saying ‘Oba ready to fight for place’ – I MEAN OMG GIVE ME A FRICKEN BREAK, WHAT DOES IT TAKE FOR THE PRESS TO REALISE THAT A PLAYER IS ACTUALLY HAPPY AT THE TOON??!?!??!?!?!?!???????????????!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!

• 6 Super Shearer // Aug 28, 2007 at 9:46 AM

rich – love it mate, spot on. The truth is that Newcatsle have a reputation for the dramatic and so the press like to play on that. The truth is that Oba has said he wants to stay….end of he’s ours for the keeping.

• 7 Beastie // Aug 28, 2007 at 9:48 AM

everyone of us knows the press will do out to put the boot into newcastle united!!! oba said in an interview there was meetings goin on to say that they are working on a new deal and for the clause to be taken out! but no as rich says nothing of this was seen on sky, bbc etc!

• 8 evil dick // Aug 28, 2007 at 10:10 AM

this site has basically replaced the bbc for me now, i only go there to check how many minutes Beckham spent on the bog this morning.

• 9 TOON1 // Aug 28, 2007 at 10:21 AM

Glad oba has AGAIN come out and said he happy at the toon ,and is willing to fight for his place.But to get the best out of him we have to play him down the middle rather than drifting out wide .But how many times has the guy got to say im happy and dont want to go anywhere,just wish the media would now leave it alone!!!

• 10 steve // Aug 28, 2007 at 10:31 AM

Surely you wouldnt expect Oba to be happy at being subbed for the 3rd game in a row – anyway good news that he’s staying.

@prince – stuff england, I for one couldnt care less about that bunch of overpaid prima donnas – get Newcastle players fit for Newcastle and ensure we get full compensation from any players football association if they are injured whilst playing for thier countries as well as wages paid whilst they are with the national teams. thats exactly what would happen in any other business!!

• 11 gordon // Aug 28, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Martins is overrated in my view he doesnt link up with anyone well,too erratic he will get some great goals but most of the time you dont know what he is doing.If big sam is bold get anelka in for martins.

• 12 Arthur Prince // Aug 28, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Steve . –I agree entirely I would just like to see Michael Owen and Oba Martins fighting hard for the starting line up both fully fit and hungry for success . I think you are ralso right re compensation from the National Teams . I fear Michael may never be the same again after his truly awful knee injury . However he is a class act when he gets match fit which will be some time yet .
    I get fed up with the stories of Oba leaving but as Rich ans Beastie says the press have to sell newspapers even if they write Fairy Stories .

previous post: Which Players Will Sam Bring Into Newcastle?

next post: Sammy Lee Says Faye To Join Newcastle