Sam Working Hard To Bring In Two Players

Sam Allardyce is hoping the transfer of Abdoulaye Faye will finally go through in the next couple of days but his goal is now to bring in two players before the transfer window slams shut on Friday at midnight.

It probably doesn’t help that Newcastle are also preparing for a game tonight against Barnsley and one on Saturday against Wigan Athletic.

But there seems little choice with both Ramage and Carr injured on Sunday and Ramage looking to be on the sidelines for at least a few months.

sam-allardyce.gif

Sam Allardyce – wants two more players in before Friday night’s transfer deadline

Sam talked to the Evening Chronicle yesterday:

“To tell the truth, while I was looking to get in one more defender before Friday, I am now looking to get another in too.”

“Because of the injury situation, I do not feel as though I can let anyone go. Stephen Carr has a straight forward hamstring injury, but it will still keep him out for four to six weeks.”

This is probably a reference to Nobby Solano and Sam can certainly use him at right back. He played there quite a few times last season, never let the team down, and in truth looked a lot better than Carr in that position. We’re hoping that Nobby can get a game in that position tonight so at least he gets a chance to show what he can do there.

Sam went on:

“As far as Peter Ramage is concerned, we still don’t know the extent of his injury – but it is not looking good.”

“It could be a tear of the cruciate ligament or a cartilage injury, or even both, and it could be that he will need a trip to Dr Steadman’s clinic in America.”

Sam also told Sky Sports yesterday that he was pursuing two targets, and outside of that, if they don’t work out there’s another two that he can move very quickly for. Sam brought up the fact that there are lots of things to accomplish now in a short time – will their club sell the players, what will they sell them for and can Newcastle reach agreement with the player on financial terms.

These are all tasks the Newcastle management will have to accomplish before the transfer deadline on Friday midnight. We’re hoping we can get that accomplished and have two new players in the squad by the time we line up against Wigan on Saturday – and that will be nine players Big Sam has recruited during the summer transfer window. Almost a whole new team.

Comments welcome

• Edd Case

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:08 AM

No prizes for guessing who.

Faye and Johnson anyone?

• Arthur Prince

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:14 AM

I see Habib Beye has been mentioned again . ED is there any substance to thi s story ?. He would be a good buy .

• snake

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:15 AM

is glen johnson any good? i heard he played for portsmouth all last season, and they did well defensively, just hav’nt seen him in action.

• geordie_jordan

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:18 AM

beye already committed this year to playing with his french club….

• Lamesley Mag

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:23 AM

Edd Case, I think your prediction could be spot-on….

Faye is an experienced pro, while Johnson is young and will benefit from playing with seasoned pros like Butt, Geremi, Cacapa, Solano, etc….. Not perhaps the ideal choice ay this time as we need experience but has the potential to be an England regular under BSA.

• greg

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:32 AM

is everybody forgetting that Johnson is completely inept at tackling, keeping the ball and concentrating?

He’s so slight, he gets knocked over by Arjen Robben. I wouldn’t want him, why bring in a perpetual rookie, when you can just as easily get a good solid player?

• Stami

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Edd Case – Spot on mate! i dont see anyone else being available!

• Alex Brett

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:37 AM

I have a pal who is a Chelsea fan and he doesnt rate Johnson at all, he says that he loses concentration at vital times. Bramble anyone???

Although I must admit he is young and can learn, he has pace and gets forward very well, and when you look at Enrique on the left we would have 2 very promising young fullbacks, coupled with Taylor Rozey and the Destroyer at the back.

Faye I think will also be a good addition as he will add depth to the squad. Which is what we need.

I see a bright future and for those already claiming we are not playing excellent football, I would sacrifice entertaining football for success.

We have had our fair share of entertainment!! But fair share of success I dont think so!!!!

• Toon Chicken

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:44 AM

I can’t see how BSA is an admirer of Glen Johnson.

I’d rather have Justin Hoyte.

I know someone mentioned a loan deal for Alves – probably never gonna happen but would be so funny to get one over on Chelsea after they gazumped us on 2 defenders already this season.

On a different note – why didn’t we go after Roberto Carlos? I know he’s a left back and we need RB’s, but he is exactly thew sort of old pro BSA could squezze another 2 seasons out of, is still brilliant and would be such a great pro to have around the youngsters.

• Edd Case

Aug 29, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Toon Chicken – I dont think we went after Roberto Carlos because a) he’s well past his best, b) we signed Enrique, c) he’s far too short.

Although Faye is a dead cert to be a Newcastle player by the end of today / tomorrow, I can’t help but wonder who the other player might be.
    I know I’ve said Johnson – and he’s the obvious one in many ways, but is he really a BS type of player?

I’m not 100% sure, personally, if we do sign Johnson, for me, it might just be that ‘panick buy’ that BS said we wouldn’t do.

What we do know though, is that BS will have been offered hundreds of players by their agents, and BS himself said that the two he’d identifed, IF they didnt sign, then he would be straight in for another two, which he could also sign quickly.

So, Faye – yes.
    Johnson – possibly.
    Someone else other than Johnson – likely.

• Darren

Aug 29, 2007 at 11:38 AM

What happened to Carlos – did he go to Qatar or something?

• evil dick

Aug 29, 2007 at 11:55 AM

if we get two more players in I will be well happy with the summer spending. 9 players! just what the squad needed – an overhaul. and it looks like we have somehow managed to hang onto the class players we have, but maybe i shouldn’t speak too soon about that!

• Toon Chicken

Aug 29, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Darren – Carlos went to Fenerbache.

Edd – I know he was past his best, but so was Djorkaeff and Gary Speed, and look what BS did for them. I think he would have been a great signing as cover for Enrique and someone he could look up to and learn from. God forbid he might have even encouraged Babayaro to recover from his mystery ailments.

• Dirk

Aug 29, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Sam has said that he is after 2 players(first choice), but also has backups in mind. I think Faye and A.N.Other are the first choices. Johnson is only a backup, in my opinion.

• Hadji

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:28 PM

One of those 2 would be Faye but the second i really could’t tell,maybe Lasana Diarra.

• fred

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:29 PM

There’s more than the Premier League. Let’s get Coloccini, he’s playing somewhere in Italy. I have seen him play for Argentina as a RB, he’s got skills, he can run and he’s good in the air. He would cost though.
    The last thing we need is a young ladd. With Taylor and Enrique, that’s enough. We need well established player.
    Glen Johnson isn’t good enough. The last thing we want to see is Solano, he can’t jump and too small. Faye, don’t know him but what is the best position for Taylor? CB or RB?

• Hadji

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Fred…he plays for Deportivo la Coruna which is in Spain.

• ende

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:29 PM

Coloccini sounds promising.. and he has ridiculous hair (http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/squad/coloccini.html)

I still say we go for a creative midfielder (Deco’s still available!) and move Geremi to RB, maybe pick up someone young and inexpensive to cover him (Johnson?). I believe Nicky Shorey is still available if there’s any need double up on LB.

Basically our defense is heavy in the middle and VERY light on the sides. In an ideal world I would have liked to have brought in both Baines and Shorey on LB, and a solid, experienced RB.

• ende

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:35 PM

ps: F chelsea for snatching up Beletti… woulda solved this problem nicely

• Shaun Dean

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:58 PM

Habib Beye is being stronly linked again i will be very pleased if we sign him however i dont rate johnson and think faye is average.

• Graeme

Aug 29, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Sky sports have just reported that the Marseille President has announced Beye will be allowed to join Newcastle – the fee has been agreed.

I good full back on his way – who’s next.

A friend in Hong Kong who follows this closely says we are very strongly linked with Eto’o being allowed to move to the UK!!!! Now that would be a class signing. Will believe it when it happens though.

And now Owen has scored to make it a good night all round!!!!

• ende

Aug 29, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Awesome news Graeme 🙂

• ende

Aug 29, 2007 at 9:32 PM

Bring in Johnson on the cheap for cover at RB.. then let’s grab Deco and call it a day.