Double good news for Newcastle United fans this morning.
First of all we won last night with a professional if not exciting display with Michael Owen and Oba Martins getting the goals but they were never on the pitch together. Good competition between the two of them which is great for the club.
During the game news was coming from Sky Sports News that Newcastle were close to capturing long term target Habib Beye from Marseilles.
So it looks very very likely that both Abdoulaye Faye and Habib Beye will join the club, Faye today and Beye probably tomorrow. Two Senegalese players with lots of experience which will give great competition to our back four.
Any news of a signing will come on the Official Newcastle United web-site.
- Good display by the lads last night as they ran out comfortable winners over Barnsley. Michael Owen got his first competitive goal for nearly 20 months for Newcastle and Martins completed the scoring. N’Zogbia was probably our best player and Claudio Cacapa impressed greatly at the back. You can join the discussion on the game at our match review in our Newcastle United Forum.
Michael Owen – first goal for 20 months – will do his confidence no harm
- Breaking news during the game that was followed closely by our readers (Rich first one to break the news to us) that Sky Sports was reporting Habib Beye was close to joining Newcastle. We put together a piece after the game on this. As you may remember we followed Habib closely during June and early July but at that time it looked like he was electing to stay at Marseilles. He will be an excellent acquisition for the club. Sam has got experienced skillful players in and has done a great job on the transfer front.
Habib Beye – looks to be joining Newcastle tomorrow – fingers crossed
- Not surprisingly Sam Allardyce was pleased with the performance last night. A clean sheet and a win is the perfect result for us this season. So that’s two clean sheets in four games do far – the more clean sheets the better. Sam picked out Owen, Cacapa, N’Zogbia and Enrique for special mention. Cacapa played so well and looked what he is – a no nonsense and very experienced central defender.
He strolled through the game reading the moves with great anticipation. N’Zogbia was our best player but not surprisingly Owen got the nod for the MOM award because of his goal. Charles is a revelation this season and as we thought – Sam is getting the very best out of our existing squad.
Charles N’Zogbia– best player again last night – this time on the left wing
- We give our final reflections on the game last night. Some good performances from Newcastle’s players. That really augers well for the future because Newcastle is a squad, and it’s important for players to come in and get the job done. With so many changes from Sunday it could have misfired but it didn’t and the boys on the field ensured we now have 5 games to win and we’re Carling Cup champions. We’re now in the last 32 – the draw for the 3rd round is Saturday at noon – that’s just after we take Wigan apart 😀
Claudio Cacapa – looked real class last night -can be a vital player this season
- We have an update on the Beye – Faye transfer moves. Faye had a medical yesterday and if all goes well will finally sign for Newcastle today. We understand Beye is in Newcastle today and will presumably have a medical and if all is OK we would expect the deal to go through tomorrow. Sam said he wanted to shore up our defense as his first priority in the summer – and he’s certainly brought in several defenders with class and experience.
Abdoulaye Faye – expected to sign today – finally – but still a great acquisition
- Our new site has been nominated for ‘Best Sports Blog’ as part of the Bloggers Choice Awards. If you would like to vote for us you can do so here. You can also browse through other nominations you can vote for.
Ahmed Bilal’s site SoccerLens was also nominated and you can vote for Ahmed’s site here.
I don’t know too much about these awards to be honest and certainly don’t consider myself a professional journalist – I’m a dedicated Newcastle fan writing about the club I’ve supported all my life after finally retiring – and loving it.
- Finally here’s some choice football quotes – to lighten up the day 😀
“Souness critics must eat humble pie as he transforms Newcastle.” – Alan Hansen (wrong again)
“What is the world coming to when you get a red card and get fined two weeks’ wages for calling a grown man a wanker?” – Paul Gascoigne
“I never predict anything, and I never will.” – Paul Gascoigne
We always appreciate your comments on our Daily Update.