The next 48 hours is going to be important to Newcastle United.
We need to do two important things. One is to sign Habib Beye and Abdoulaye Faye today and the second thing is to beat Wigan tomorrow.
Then we’ll have over two weeks before the next game against Derby away, and Newcastle fans will be very happy.
It’s all very simple isn’t it?
Any news of signings today will come on the Official Newcastle United web-site.
- We have a report on the imminent signing of Faye and Beye today. We know that Faye passed a medical yesterday and we expect the deal to be tied up soon. We also understand that Habib Faye flew into Newcastle last night to spend today tying up his move to Newcastle. Part of that will be undergoing a medical. If there are not any last minute problems we expect bioth players to join Newcastle before midnight tonight. That will be great news because it will significantly strengthen the defense. In fact Big Sam will be spoiled for choice as to who he plays in each position across the back-line.
Habib Beye – expected to have medical and sign today
- We have our preview of the Newcastle Wigan game tomorrow and expect a win. A clean sheet has to be the aim tomorrow following our decent performance on Wednesday against Barnsley. We expect Cacapa to start and Steven Taylor to be at right-back with Harper retaining his position in goal. Newcastle favorite (and fan) Antoine Sibierski has a hamstring problem which may keep him out of the game but Titus Bramble is expected to play some part in the game.
- There was news yesterday that American Danny Szetela was set to join Newcastle. Szetela plays for the Columbus Crew in the MLS and was a star player for the US Under-20 team in the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Canada during the summer. He just turned 20 in June and is one for the future. Danny was offered a 4 year contract with Roma but seems to have turned that down to play at his preferred destination – England. It looks like Newcastle will tie this one up today. Danny is 5’11″ and is a powerful central midfield player. He will cost almost nothing so not much of a chance being taken and the deal could pay off big time for us.
Danny Szetela- 20 year-old New Jersey born midfielder to sign for Newcastle today?
- Excellent interview today that Michael Owen gives to Paul Gilder of the Journal. Looks like Michael is ready to play as many times as possible for Newcastle and he’ll have to fight it out with Oba Martins for the starting position. We still think Oba will start tomorrow. It was good to see both players score on Wednesday even though they were never on the pitch together.
Michael Owen – looking forward to playing many games for Newcastle this season – good.
- Great article on the Official Newcastle United web site where popular player Antoine Sibierski says he’ll be a Newcastle United fan forever. There’s never been a player that made such an impact at the club with his very positive and upbeat attitude and the fact he loved his time at the club and at Newcastle itself. If he plays tomorrow we’re sure he’ll get a fantastic reception – and he deserves it. Newcastle fans love players who love the club – and Antoine certainly loves Newcastle United – forever.
Antoine Sibierski – the Newcastle United fan will get terrific reception tomorrow
- Our new site has been nominated for ‘Best Sports Blog’ as part of the Bloggers Choice Awards. If you would like to vote for us you can do so here. You can also browse through other nominations you can vote for.
Ahmed Bilal’s site SoccerLens was also nominated and you can vote for Ahmed’s site here.
I don’t know too much about these awards to be honest and certainly don’t consider myself a professional journalist – I’m a dedicated Newcastle fan writing about the club I’ve supported all my life after finally retiring – and loving it.
- Finally here’s some choice football quotes – today from the great Uncle Bobby – one of our heroes – to lighten up the day
“The first 90 minutes are the most important.” – Bobby Robson
“Where do you get an experienced player like him with a left foot and a head?” – Bobby Robson
“Heâ€™s got his legs back, of course, or his leg – heâ€™s always had one but now heâ€™s got two.” – Bobby Robson
We always appreciate your comments on our Daily Update.