Beye: Why I Finally Accepted Newcastle’s Offer

Habib Beye, freshly signed from Marseilles, talked to the Sunday Sun about why he decided to join Newcastle after being courted by Newcastle for much of the summer.

Beye we think will turn out to be a very good signing for us and probably better than previous target Juliano Belletti, now at Chelsea, who looked a little short of pace yesterday for Villa’s second goal, when Ashley Young of Aston Villa streaked past him.

habib-beye-8739.jpg

Habib Beye – in that world famous Newcastle strip – good for him 😀

Habib Beye finally joined Newcastle from Marseilles apparently only a few minutes before the transfer window closed at midnight on Friday. So it did go down to the wire for the player, and Newcastle fans anxiously tried to find out if Newcastle had signed their two targets – Beye and Faye from Bolton Wanderers, late Friday evening and early Saturday morning. We had thought they may have been signed earlier and just announced once the window closed, but that is not the case.

Apparently one of the sticking points with the negotiations with Habib was that Beye wanted a 4 year contract at Newcastle but at the last moment agreed to sign a 3 year deal with the club and best the transfer deadline – we’re glad he did.

This is what Beye told Neil Farrington of the Sunday Sun yesterday:

“I had the chance to join Newcastle more than a month before the start of the new season,”

“I refused it because I wanted to play in the Champions League with Marseilles and finish the final year of contract while keeping alive the possibility of prolonging my stay at ‘L’OM’.

“The offer from Newcastle, a big club, came again though, and it was a good financial proposal — it would be a lie to hide that fact.

“But seeing the injury to Cedric Carrasso was what really made me reflect.

“Like him, I am 29, and he was not injured because of a tackle, but because of what can happen to the human body as time goes by.

“If that kind of mishap had happened to me in the situation I was in at Marseilles with the end of my contract, it would have made things very complicated.

“You have to think of these things and it’s for that reason that I accepted the challenge of moving to Newcastle.”

United’s interest in Beye was maintained despite his relatively poor start to the season in France, which saw him targeted by a faction of Marseilles fans.

Habib added:

“I thank the people at the club and the supporters, even if some of them attacked me lately. I would like to have taken those fans with me.”

“I will keep my house in Marseilles and go to live there after I retire.”

Maybe one of the reasons he left Marseilles was also because of the barracking he received from home fans early in the season. But we think , like most of the players Sam has brought into the club, Habib is big and strong and should do very well as a Premiership player for Newcastle.

• valle

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:11 AM

And we sure are glad u did Habib

• Amornthep K

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Still think Ameobi and Viduka isnt doing well enough though. Like to see Owen and Martins playing together one match.

When Martins came on the other days, seems spark in Newcastle performance. Anyone post different ideas? Love to hear

• Jerry

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Personally, i dont see what all the fuss about Viduka is all about. I dont rate him and i never have. We would be better off going in for an undoubted top class striker. The test for us should always be, if a player isnt good enough to be considered for any of the top 4, then he shouldnt be good enough for us! Viduka certainly isnt!

• JEFFBRUM

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:41 AM

AGREE WITH YOU AMORNTHEP….WOULD LOVE TO SEE OWEN AND MARTINS UP FRONT TOGETHER TERRORISING OPPOSITION DEFENCES WITH THEIR SHEER PACE , PERHAPS WITH SMITH LIEING DEEP BEHIND THEM – MILNER AND NZOGBIA OUT WIDE SUPPLYING THE AMUNITION…..DEFENCE NOW LOOKS SORTED !

• gordon

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:57 AM

Saying viduka is not good enough you must have watched anything but football in the last 5 years.

• aaron d

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Viduka has been off the pace a bit, but its early days and he did score 17 goals last year which is pretty good. At 31 though he’s only a short term option anyway.

• Jerry

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Gordon – Torres, Drogba, Viduka, Berbatov – to name a few, which is the odd name out? I rest my case!

• TheloniousT

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:16 AM

sam did the right thing in signing viduka, not only was that a class goal against middlesborough nut he is exactly the type of player newcastle have needed, a target man, and a healthy to boot, now we have what we didnt last year, balance and depth=options at the head of our attack, viduka is not the classiest but he will get the job done

• Craig Allen

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:17 AM

Smith should be up front or in just behind strikers as he can’t cross a T to save his life … but he gets stuck in like no other!

• rich

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Viduka isnt match fit yet, you cant judge him when hes not firing on all cylinders.

Im glad Beye signed for us, it also adds weight to the constant argument i have with my mates that we cannot attract champions league players because we arent in euorope.

He always said that players would play in CL over anything, and i always said money talks alot louder.

🙂

hopefully the next two weeks will see Beye & Enrique get bred into the team and i really really hope i see them playing at the Derby match.

• Rich

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:46 AM

ye we sure r! a brilliant signing, with proven experience, hes gonna be a winner for us im sure

• Lamesley Mag

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Beye is a good signing and I’m pleased BSA eventually got his man. Beye is better than the alternates that were being discussed; i.e. Johnson, Belleti, etc.

Viduka’s goal against Boro was class and although we’ll only get a maximum of 2 seasons off the big man, Shola will be around when Viduka tires in the second half or is injured. We also have young Carrol chomping at the bit for next season, so anticipate fireworks.

When we’re back in Europe, we can court the finest center forwards around but until then, it ain’t going to happen…..

• Sturla

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:11 PM

About the Viduka debate, if we would have gone for a big 4 striker we would have had to come up with considerable amount of cash for him. Look at what Bent cost for the Spuds. As it seems, Big Sam did not have to much cash to play with. Net spending around 10m. He would have sold had to sell a few players to achieve this. Instead he got a player how scored 17 goals last season for free. For me thats a great piece of business. It takes time to build up the squad. For the money he has been given he’s done an excellent job. What did Roeder do last season with a similar budget, Martins, Sibrierski, Duff and Bernard. Viduka is surly not a player for the future, but he’ll do well for the close future.

• Lew Davies

Sep 3, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Jerry – NUFC had problems attracting players this last close season because we couldn’t offer UEFA or CL games this season due the absolute dross served up over the previous year. Top players are not ONLY motivated by big bucks. They also want to pit themselves against other top players and teams and that rules us out at the moment.
    Our first priority has been to build a solid defence and hopefully Big Sam has gone about that well. This will hopefully help to get us back up to the top end of the table where we will become a more attractive proposition.
    Dont forget Big Sam has said it could well take 5 years. Just as it did Man ure.
    I have every faith now in BSA, so far he has really impressed. Now we as fans need to be patient and take the pressure of him and then reap the rewards.
    Keep the Faith. Toon Toon.

• evil dick

Sep 3, 2007 at 2:06 PM

considering we’re not even in the uefa cup I think our squad is quality!

BS has done very well – and it’s not like with bobby’s team when we had to wait for the young potentials to grow into real stars (which most of them didn’t). These players will settle fast, they’re so experienced.

BRING ON DERBY!

• Neil A H

Sep 3, 2007 at 3:00 PM

I would like to see Smith given a chance up front. Unfortunately Ameobi is going to need a run of games to be able to produce-which he is not going to get. He didn’t look too good on Saturday. Also we may need cover at right wing in January since Smith isn’t too good out wide. What would we do if Milner got injured? Anyways, this is a really exciting time. It’s gonna be a hard next two weeks waiting for us to destoy Derby.

• toongurl

Sep 3, 2007 at 3:22 PM

I AGREE HABIB BEYE IS GONNA B TOP CLASS I THINK ANALL..CACAPA HAS ALREADY PROVED ANALL WOT HE’S GOT, SUM EXCELLENT SIGNING FRM BSA ! I THINK OWEN AND MARTINS SHUD START UPFRONT AGAINST DERBY SEE HOW IT GOES, BUT IM SURE THEY’LL DO BRILL TOGETHER….PLAYERZ PLAYIN AGIANST THEM TO UPFRONT WILL HAVE A HELL OF A BATTLE ON….MARTINS SPEED IS LIGHTNING AND SO IS OWEN’S. PEOPLE SAY THT THEY ARE TO SMALL AND THT WE NEED HEIGHT LIKE AMEOBI OR VIDUKA BUT WE DONT, HAVE U SEEN’S OBA’S LEAP..ITS AMAZING.! CUMON THE TOON ARMY…BRING ONNN DERBY! OWEN AND MARTINS TO START ANY-1 AGREE WITH ME…???

• michael

Sep 3, 2007 at 3:37 PM

• michael

Sep 3, 2007 at 3:40 PM

I don’t agree that if a player is not considered by the big four they’re not good enough. Vidic at Man Yoo looked like nothing from the back sticks in Wherthefrickrwestan, Berbatov was hardly chased by the “Big Four” or anyone before Spuds got in, and this season they’ve missed out on Elano, Cacapa and David Healy (I think they’ll show their worth on early season form). The Big Four have only been the top four for two seasons now and their managers and scouting systems are hardly infalible. Lets not make a return to trophy signings like Luque, Boumsong and Emre..

• Obafan

Sep 3, 2007 at 3:45 PM

I’m so glad Beye signed for the Toon. And he also is honnest; by saying the financial aspect played a role in moving to the northeast of England.

Just don’t know why they didn’t gave him a 4 year deal then everything would have been much easier I think. But okay he is a Newcastle player now, and far better than the other ‘targets’ for the RB position, like Belletti; Johnson; Cicicnho; Bosingwa. Bery good signing and he will prove that I’m full of confidence in that.

Viduka, don’t know what to think about him; he still needs to get the rhythm but if you have to put Martins or Owen on the bench for him at this moment then I don’t think he should play. Because Martins and Owen are really getting on their best level now, Owen will be the good old in 2 games (I’m sure of that) and he will form a fantastic striker partnership with Oba. I don’t see any doubt that they can’ t play together, on the contrary, the best attacking pair of the EPL.

Fantastic times ahead for the Toon!!