The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Where Will Newcastle Finish This Season?

10:17 am, Tuesday, September 4th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 54 Comments

With the transfer window finally closed and with Newcastle now having 9 new players in the squad we thought it might be a good time to conduct a poll to see where Newcastle fans think the club will end up in the league this season.

Most of us thought top 8 would be great, because that will put us back into Europe. However, it may be that some fans think we can even do better than that given the acquisition of some good players in the summer, especially defenders.

As we all know defense has been our big weakness for at least 10 years.

sam-allardyce-33.jpg

Sam Allardcye – probably wants to keep expectations low – we don’t blame him

Just as a reminder and a level set these are the positions we have finished in over the last 4 seasons with the number of points and the manager at the time

Season       Pos   Points    Manager

2006-2007     12th     43      Roeder
2005-2006      7th     58      Roeder
2004-2005     14th     44      Souness
2003-2004      5th     56      Robson

We’ll have six overall positions Bottom 10, Top 10, Top 8, Top 6, Top 4, Top 2

Thanks for voting.

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll

54 responses so far ↓

• 1 Arthur Prince // Sep 4, 2007 at 10:34 AM

I think 5th .Definately in Europe.

• 2 toonfan1 // Sep 4, 2007 at 10:36 AM

i think 4th hopefully!!! maybe to much for this season?

• 3 Midjew // Sep 4, 2007 at 10:38 AM

I think 6th, there is ALOT of competition this year, MOST teams are performing well,
    e.g: Man City, Aston Villa and many more.

But 6th is DEF possible and above Spurs is a sure thing.

Ed – Thanks for the Voting Pole, but come on WHOEVER said Bottom 10 should be blocked from this site HAVE FAITH!!!!!

• 4 Chappa // Sep 4, 2007 at 10:43 AM

6th a possible outcome..but a think your right and theres a lot of competion this year.but europe is a defo possibility

• 5 aaron d // Sep 4, 2007 at 10:49 AM

I think the top 3 will be liverpool, man utd and chelsea. Then 4th probably arsenal. But any of aston villa, man city, spurs and ourselves could break in to the top four. Probably 5th or 6th for NUFC

• 6 WelshWizard // Sep 4, 2007 at 10:50 AM

I think 5th and europe but i also think i will be very close in the top 8, the top 4 will be the same but they’ll be closer together and i dont think the likes of spuds, villians, hammers toffees and ourselves will be that far behind the points tally of 4th…….

• 7 Steely // Sep 4, 2007 at 11:04 AM

I think it’s way too early to be saying for definite where we might finish, especially considering we havent played any of the top teams to compare ourselves to yet. I have however, clicked on top 6 – I would be disappointed if we didnt automatically qualify for Europe as we have a very solid squad now and I think the defence are looking solid enough to keep a few clean sheets.

Only thing which should knock us back would be injuries….

• 8 Magpie Rich // Sep 4, 2007 at 11:19 AM

For me 6th would be great for BSA’s first season. We can always build on that, by attracting big name signings (Deco, Requelme, etc.). To get to 6th we must:
    a) Get 3 pts, from all home & away games, against bottom 10 teams
    b) Get 3 pts, from all home games & 1 pt from all away games, against top 10 teams
    c) Get 1 point from all home & away games, against top 4 teams (anything more is a bonus!)

So far, based on the above, we’re not doing too badly. Another 3 pts against Derby is an absolute must, if top 6 is to be achieved.

btw – must have been Mackems who voted bottom 10. Ban them Ed!!

• 9 Steve K // Sep 4, 2007 at 11:28 AM

sixth or seventh are the realistic positions for newcastle this season. everton, aston villa and blackburn all have good sides that are more settled than ours, and spurs and bound to bounce back and are still a good bet to finish above us. if you consider that spurs, villa, blackburn and everton are all battling for 5th to 7th along with us, a top 8 finish does not look unlikey. seventh would be an achievement but the more settled sides are favourites ahead of us.

at least bolton have been taken out of that running, eh sam?

• 10 Hadji // Sep 4, 2007 at 11:37 AM

I think that we can clinch that 4th place,our biggest rival for that would be Arsenal and Everton.Once the champions league and Uefa Cup starts,Arsenal won’t be so fresh like against Portsmouth when they were firing from all cylinders.We have one of the best defenders in the league:Cacapa and Rozehnal who are head to head with Cara and Agger.We need those clean sheets and our “Lethal Weapon” Owen & Martins will score at least 1 goal.I think when everyone’s fit,this is my formation
    ……….. Given
    Beye……………Cacapa………….Rozehnal………….Enrique
    ……………………………Geremi
    ……………………………Barton
    Smith…………………………………..Emre

……………….Martins…………..Owen………………………
    Zoggy for Emre in the 70 min,Milner for Smith in the 75 min and Duff for Owen in the 80th min.

• 11 cooldj // Sep 4, 2007 at 11:38 AM

i think top 6 is possible but lets not get carried away. the performances haven’t been great (we beat a weak bolton drew at home to villa played poorly against boro but got 2 wonder goals and were ok against wigan but just couldnt finish) we could but we have to – and hopefully will – improve.

• 12 Dirk // Sep 4, 2007 at 11:43 AM

cooldj who the f*&^&k r u? newcastle have been outstanding this season so far the only dissappointing performance was against aston villa! we have performed well and with players coming back off injuries we can only get better!

• 13 Dirk // Sep 4, 2007 at 11:44 AM

btw top 7 wold be great for us!

• 14 aaron d // Sep 4, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Magpie Rich – that would give us about 84 points expect to win the league or a least top 3 with that form. What we need to do is make st.james a fortess again. Top 6 probably need 60+ points which is 20 wins, so need to win most of the home fixtures and get some important away wins too.

• 15 Hadji // Sep 4, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Hey cooldj..don’t forget the fact that this is a whole new team with 9 new players and like Dirk said,when Emre and Barton come back we could only get better
    Dirk…I wouldn’t say that we were poor with Aston Villa,infact we played a very solid game with them but they are really good this year i must say.
    Chelsea felt that the most last week.

• 16 BigZ // Sep 4, 2007 at 12:15 PM

I think we will finish 5th.

1.Chelsea
    17.Wigan
    18.Sunderland
    19.Birmingham
    20.Derby

• 17 rich // Sep 4, 2007 at 12:29 PM

top 6 for me.

i reckon our biggest competition will be from the likes of Everton, Villa & Man City this season.

We better finish above Spurs, i have a £20 bet with my mate who supports spurs that well finish above them.

• 18 Dingo // Sep 4, 2007 at 12:30 PM

I am reserving my judgment till we play Arsenal in the cup…. if we beat them then I would have a much better marker point as to where we would finish. My heart tells me though that we will be 5th, about 15 points off the top 2. :P

• 19 Darren // Sep 4, 2007 at 12:34 PM

We will be playing Arsenal reserves in the cup so don’t read too much into the outcome – saying that they have some great youngters.

• 20 Steely // Sep 4, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Darren, I was actually really worried about facing Arsenal in the cup, but you have just reminded me that they put out their Mickey Mouse team for the LC….perhaps we have a chance at the Emirates after all…

• 21 Steve K // Sep 4, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Too much “pie in the sky” here. The Newcastle side is decent, but you cannot underestimate the effect the squad revamp took this Summer, it may be Christmas before Newcastle are playing properly as a unit.

At this moment in time Everton are a better side than us, Aston Villa are just as good, Blackburn are there, or there abouts. Spurs will be back and around our position too so competition is very, very strong. Throw into the pot a decent looking Man City side and a reasonable Portsmouth side and you see how strong the top ten will be this year. Can we go to Blackburn, Spurs, Villa etc. and come back with points? I’m not so sure yet, though the effect a fit Joey Barton will make in that midfield will be big.

• 22 Ed Harrison // Sep 4, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Midjew – i put bottom 10 in right at the end – just so people couldn’t accuse me (again) of being too positive :D

• 23 lee // Sep 4, 2007 at 1:19 PM

Second if not First. Chelsea will be our main rival (bcoz they have depth). Man Utd isn’t as strong as last year (as Ronaldo had wished they got someone taller and better than Tevez!), Arsenal is such a young team taking at least two years to gain experience and win Premiership, and Liverpool will be so drained out by the European games.

• 24 evil dick // Sep 4, 2007 at 1:23 PM

this is my top 10 prediction:

1. Liverpool
    2. Chelski
    3. Mancs
    4. Arsenal
    5. Toon
    6. Man C
    7. Everton
    8. Spurs
    9. Villa
    10. Blackburn

I don’t think we have played well enough to be top5 so far, but we have shown the potential and will improve alot as the team ‘gels’. If we get on a roll and get some results against the top 4 then who knows.

• 25 Steely // Sep 4, 2007 at 1:46 PM

lee – ARE YOU MAD??? You reckon we might win the league this year….are you also on drugs?

• 26 Hadji // Sep 4, 2007 at 1:47 PM

I would like to see us finished 4th but when i put myself on the ground i see us 6th.One thing is for sure and that is that we gonna outrun Tottenham this year.
    1-Liverpool
    2-Man Utd
    3-Chelsea
    4-Arsenal
    5-Everton
    6-Newcastle

• 27 steve // Sep 4, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Top 8 should be a realistic finish, it’s to early in the season to say top 6 for defo as we’ve yet to play a decent team and still have a number of players to come into the team, if Barton gets sent to nick and the bull / heye don’t come up to scratch we should nick 7th or 8th.
    I reckon Man City are over achieving and will struggle once the season gets to the 1/4 way stage although I can see Spurs recovering from thier awful start to season – a number of teams are stronger this year so its gonna be tough
    My top 10

Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Man U
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Toon
    Everton
    Ports
    Blackburn
    Man City

although positions 5 – 10 could end up in any order with Villa possibly getting 10th at the expense of Man City

• 28 Bill F // Sep 4, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Ed, you may have added the bottom ten to the list but which idiot actually voted in it!!!

• 29 Steely // Sep 4, 2007 at 1:51 PM

evil dick – I’m not sure Liverpool will win it this year, but I certainly reckon they’ll be pressing more than last year. My top ten would look something like:

1. Man Utd
    2. Liverpool
    3. Chelsea
    4. Arsenal
    5. Everton
    6. Newcastle
    7. Tottenham
    8. Man City
    9. Blackburn
    10. Villa

• 30 Hadji // Sep 4, 2007 at 1:52 PM

Steely…What’s your problem man,maybe Lee’s desire is just bigger than yours.You never know my friend,one examle for you.

STUTGART
    Just have faith and maybe you’ll be suprized at the end of the season.

• 31 Bill F // Sep 4, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Oh and I think 4th or fifth is do-able.

• 32 Steely // Sep 4, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Trust me Hadji, I’ve got more desire for the Toon to do well than anyone. NUFC is my life. I just cant see us doing so well that quickly. I think all the “faith” I had in the past few seasons that we would do well has left me sorely disappointed each time; the thing that makes me most happy this season (unless we win the league of course) was that the fat b@stard that was Freddy Shephard is no longer a part of the club.

• 33 bob // Sep 4, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Spurs
    Everton
    Villa
    Man City
    Blackburn

• 35 Toon Chicken // Sep 4, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Ed – “Most of us thought top 8 would be great, because that will put us back into Europe.”

By Europe do you mean Intertoto, because that is the only chance we’d have of qualifying if we finished 8th? That or the fair play league – which is unlikely once Barton is fit and playing.

• 36 Toon Chicken // Sep 4, 2007 at 2:41 PM

ps; I put top 8 but that doesn’t mean I don’t think we’ll make top 5 or 6. I just think it’s going to be very, very close this season, and it’s still far too early to judge.

• 37 nightfall // Sep 4, 2007 at 2:50 PM

i think we can finish 4th… man utd and chelsea are not as good as they were… this season we can beat one of them… oh and btw…liverpool will finish 1st…and i think arsenal will be 2nd…

• 38 Alan Riley // Sep 4, 2007 at 3:16 PM

In an earlier post, I mentioned my (inaccurately titled) Predictor Table, which gives a points target for every game based on the strength of the opposition. Every team starts with a Target points total of 78 points. At present, we are on target & lying in 5th place. Ahead of us are Man City (82pts); Villa (80); Liverpool (79); & Arsenal (78 – but with a better GD). Blackburn are also on 78pts. The other Big 4 clubs are Chelsea on 76 & ManU on 73. Spurs are on 70.

Hopefully, this indicates that things will be a lot tighter this year. My personal feeling is that, at the end of the day, one of the big 4 will win it. Pre-season I thought ManU, but, so far, they don’t look like the same overwhelming, attacking team. On the other hand, with my hero, Torres, looking amazing I am beginning to wonder if it could be the Scousers’ year.

For us, if we can keep around 5th, I will be very happy. If we can achieve 78 points I will be delirious with joy & preparing for a Champions League campaign.

• 39 Whitey // Sep 4, 2007 at 3:41 PM

1st- Champions – Liverpool
    2nd- Champs league- Arsenal
    3rd- Champs League- Chelsea
    4th- Champs League- Man Utd
    5th- UEFA Cup- Aston Villa
    6th-UEFA Cup- Newcastle
    7th-Inter-Toto- Man City

2008/2009
    Newcastle improve and finish in the top four not sure were but my guess is 4th

• 40 magpie191 // Sep 4, 2007 at 3:45 PM

8th or above would represent a step forward. Remember, this season is really about Sam, Mort and Ashley shaping the club up as they want it. It will take time for our players to really gel and understand each other. I believe a European place is within reach with our current crop of players and if we stay out of the negative limelight and just get our heads down and work hard then it could be a good season for us. I don’t expect thrilling football this season, results are all that’s important for now.

• 41 Graham // Sep 4, 2007 at 4:05 PM

I think we will finish in the top 8 this year but lets be realistic – if we finish top 10 with all the changes that have gone on over the past few months we’ll be doing alright for a big push next season – it’ll be even better if we have a european competition to attract the bigger names.

Prediction – 7th

• 42 Lamesley Mag // Sep 4, 2007 at 4:13 PM

I’m predicting we’ll finish 5th but something tells me Arseanal will struggle this season with too many games; i.e. Champions League and domestic football, and a young squad.

So my vote for 4th place is Aston Villa who are looking very good this season, while Arsenal will finish 6th……

Just great to see the Big-4 broken up!

• 43 Ed Harrison // Sep 4, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Toon chicken – i was assuming those above us would win the FA Cup and Carling Cup – then we’d be in Europe I think.

• 44 Tom_Toon // Sep 4, 2007 at 4:30 PM

I Recon we will finish 5,6,7

To early to tell as the team has not fully settled and people will come back from injury and also we cannot asses the tables properly yet as only 4,5 games have been played.

I think Liverpool will win the league.

• 45 Obafan // Sep 4, 2007 at 4:53 PM

16. Sunderland
    17. Reading
    18. Bolton Wanderers
    19. Birmingham
    20. Derby County

• 46 Max // Sep 4, 2007 at 5:27 PM

yea i fink we cud make 4th init if we play well bt lyk 6th is probz more likely…bt i definetly fink with a few less injurys we can compete for tht 4rth place
    safe -1-

16.Wigan
    17.Reading
    18.Bolton
    19.Fulham
    20.Derby

• 50 PK-Norway // Sep 5, 2007 at 12:43 AM

With all players not injured all the time…i think Champions league next year for us..We will be one of 4 teams fighting for the last spot to Champions League alongside Arsenal,Tottenham,Everton..

• 51 iain // Sep 5, 2007 at 1:38 AM

1 – liverpool
    2 – arsenal
    3 – man utd
    4 – chelsea – if they loose to villa know wait until their 2 best players got 2 ACN
    5 – nufc/blackburn/everton
    6 – nufc/blackburn/everton
    7 – nufc/blackburn/everton too close to call imo with factors of injuries/eurofootball/ACN
    8 – villa
    9 – city
    10 – pompey
    11 – spurs
    12 – boro
    13 – whu
    14 – wigan
    15 – fulham
    16 – birmingham
    17 – sunderland
    18 – bolton
    19 – reading
    20 – derby

our better cf should give us the edge over teams like villa/pompey/city over the season none of which have imo a cf that will score more than 1o league goals, imo we have 3.

• 52 Cockney Magpie // Sep 5, 2007 at 1:48 AM