Surprising news of the day is that Steven Taylor has rejected a 5 year contract offer from the club. The contract included a 3 year option. Steven father Alf is acting as Steven’s agent and has rejected the offer out of hand.
We don’t think the club can win this one and the sooner it’s all sorted out – the better for everyone concerned. There’s no way we should be losing Steven Taylor over this.
We suggest the club work quickly in the next day or two to resolve this.
- The big surprise for Newcastle fans this morning is that Steven Taylor has rejected a 5 year contract at Newcastle. The deal also included a 3 year option and his father, Alf Taylor, who is acting as Steven’s agent said the offer was totally unacceptable. That will come as a big surprise to Geordie fans and we don’t think the club can win this one. It’s really about time we respected the young local boys coming through the club. We also remember Steven telling the club not to mess around with him earlier in the summer – so there must have been some initial signs that the club were not going to offer what Steven wanted. Take a read of the article – we have some harsh things to say about how our local boys seem to be treated – compared with the “stars”. That must change.
Steven Taylor – the club just cannot win this one
- We quote Shay Given again today as he approached the Irish record for the most caps by a goalkeeper. Shay talks well of new manager Sam Allardyce and that he has good ideas about how to keep players fit and prevent them from getting injuries. Sam also has good ideas about how to best recover once the injury is sustained and Shay thinks this will all make the Newcastle squad both fitter and better players. Certainly he seems to like Sam so that confrontation we keep hearing about with his manager we think is pure paper talk.
Shay Given – likes Sam Allardyce’s new training regime and ideas on preventing injuries
- We quote Alan Shearer on what he thinks of Newcastle so far this season. Alan is glowing in his praise of Sam, the squad and particularly our new defense. He has good words to say about Claudio Cacapa, David Rozehnal and young Frenchman Charles N’Zogbia. He thinks all have looked the part so far this season. Alan is very much like the rest of us born and raised in Newcastle – a big fan of the club.
Alan Shearer – which goal of his 206 for Newcastle was that one?
- We have a preview of tomorrow’s England game against Israel in the 2008 European qualifications. Steve McClaren has a weakened team with many of our big players out injured – but this is no excuse for us not to win. We cannot hide the fact that we are not big fans of McClaren and didn’t think he should have ever been given the England job. We think it’s not a question of if he will be replaced – but when. A couple of bad results in the next week and that could happen sooner rather than later. But we obviously want England to win and it will be tragic id we cannot qualify for the finals next year. England lie 4th in Group E, three points adrift of Croatia and Israel and one behind Russia. We should be able to get 2 wins against Israel and Russia at Wembley and that’s what’s it going to take to get back on track for qualification. Michael Owen can be a big player for England in these 2 games, having shown some of his old goal-scoring prowess against Wigan on Sunday – go for it Michael.
Michael Owen – can get goals for England at Wembley in next couple of games
- We focus again on Charles N’Zogbia first call-up for the France Under-21 team. It certainly looks like the dispute with Le Havre over his transfer to Newcastle 3 years ago has cost Charles international honors. Charles think his former club have ensured he was never called up while they were still in dispute over his transfer. The dispute has lasted until July 18th of this year when it settled in the French club’s favor. That certainly gives some credence to Charles’ viewpoint. We think it’s very spiteful – but hopefully Charles will not hold any grudges and can go on to become full French international soon if he keeps up his great form of late.
Charles N’Zogbia – penalized for his disputed transfer to Newcastle from Le Havre
- We have 3 games in a short 6 days coming up. The middle game in midweek (Tuesday) is our Carling Cup Tie against Arsenal. How did we get into this situation? Well we discuss this in the article and also these games will give Sam an opportunity to use his full squad. It would be great to get 3 wins. The game at Arsenal must be to a result so extra time and penalties will be used if necessary. Those 6 days are going to be exciting times for Geordie fans.
Sam Allardyce – gets chance to use his full squad with 3 games in 6 days later this month
- Our new site has been nominated for ‘Best Sports Blog’ as part of the Bloggers Choice Awards. If you would like to vote for us you can do so here. You can also browse through other nominations you can vote for.
SoccerLens was also nominated and you can vote for Ahmed’s Bilal’s site here.
- Finally here’s some choice football quotes. Today we have 4 from one of our readers whose pseudo name is nightfall. These are to lighten up the day – thanks nightfall
â€œIâ€™d like to thank my parents, especially to my mom and dad.â€ – Slovenia’s Sebastian Cimerotic
â€œThis night was not my day.â€ – Albanian striker Kliton Bozgo after missing multiple chances in an evening game
“â€œI went left and Stephane Hencoz also went left. Then I went right and so did he. Then I went left again, and he went for a hotdog.â€ – Zlatan Ibrahimovic
â€œKlinsman and I are a good trio, I mean quartet.â€ – Franz Walter Jr.
We always appreciate your comments on our Daily Update.