The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United Football Club By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!



N’Zogbia Finally Gets French Recognition, After Being “Wasted”

1:51 pm, Friday, September 7th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

Charles N’Zogbia has spoken of his delight at earning his first call-up to the France Under 21 team.

The Newcastle star, who signed a new five-year deal with the club earlier this week, has been rewarded for a great start to the season by being called up by the French Under-21 squad for the very first time, for today’s clash with Wales.

Charles also thinks he knows why he has been ignored by France for the last 3 years – read on.

charles-nzogbia-132.gif

Charles N’Zogbia - punished by France these last 3 years?

N’Zogbia thinks he has been ignored by the Under-21 squad because of his controversial departure from Le Havre to Newcastle in 2004. The 21-year-old has admitted he was upset to be ignored by his country in the past, but is relishing the prospect of pulling on a French shirt for the Under-21s.

Le Havre have always claimed that N’Zogbia signed an education contract with them as a teenager – and was therefore was not free to sign for Newcastle because of French Federation regulations. At the time of the initial argument Le Havre said Charles had to stay with them as an apprentice for at least two years.

But Le Havre continually refused to accept defeat and took their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). Surprisingly, on July 18th this year they were rewarded with compensation from both Newcastle United and N’Zogbia himself. The player had to pay the Ligue 2 club £440,000 and Newcastle United paid £200,000.

It does seem strange that now the case has been settled, essentially in the French club’s favor, he gets his first call-up for the French Under-21 squad. Charles told L’Equipe yesterday:

“I am happy the controversy with my departure to Newcastle is now settled,”

“Do I keep something against Le Havre? They wasted me for two or three years, preventing me from playing with the national teams.” “But now I want to forget all that. That made me stronger. “ “I had no contact with France, and I was a little upset with my country for that. “

“My club reassured me, telling me one day they will call me. Wearing the French shirt is both a proud moment and an opportunity to finally show myself in my own country.”

The versatile Frenchman has been delighted with his start to the season and indeed Newcastle have made their best start for 10 years in the league. Charles seems confident that Newcastle can finish in the top 5 this season and continued:

“This season it’s got off smoothly with the new coach,” “I am proud to be at the club, and I believe the club is proud of me, as I have just signed a new five-year contract.

“I believe we can make something good in the Premier League this season. We aim for the first five positions.”

It’s always nice to hear players praise Newcastle United, but apart from the treatment he received at the end of last season from Glenn Roeder, Newcastle have always treated Charles well during his time at the club. We hope he gets his first cap for the Under-21s this evening – and a full French call-up cannot be too far away, if he keeps up his sensational early season form.   Go for it Charles – and you’re right – the fans are certainly pleased to have you at the club for the next 5 years at least.

Comments welcome.



Tags: Charles N'Zogbia · Newcastle News



<


18 responses so far ↓

  • 1 George // Sep 7, 2007 at 2:06 PM

    This is one good young footballer getting his reward at last.
    He suffered due to signing for the Toon, i am sure we can all remember the fuss about young Charles signing on.
    Good luck and show them what they have missed due to their pettiness.

  • 2 Steve // Sep 7, 2007 at 2:07 PM

    could it also be the fact that Charles didn’t play that well last season ?

  • 3 George // Sep 7, 2007 at 2:12 PM

    Steve, yes you could be right.
    Charles was definately not at his best last season, plus Glen Roeder did seem to have a downer on him, as he was always quick to drop him, even after a good performance.
    I was thinking more along the lines of the politics that went on between was it Le Harvre (The selling club) NUFC, French FA and UEFA. as to why he was not selected.

  • 4 dragoner // Sep 7, 2007 at 2:45 PM

    its off topic, but i think we should sell Duff and Emre and buy Silva from Valencia and the german wonderkid Toni Kroos from Bayern Munich, what is everyone elses opinion? (random question i know lol)

  • 5 aaron // Sep 7, 2007 at 3:08 PM

    Don’t think silva would be interested in us just yet, was link to chelsea in the summer. Never heard of Toni Kroos, where does he play? I would like to see Van Der Vaart.

  • 6 Tom_Toon // Sep 7, 2007 at 3:14 PM

    Kalynychenk0 please. Rotan and Husyev are other brilliant right wingers but recent bids for them of large money have been rejected because the Dynamo Kiev persident says they are the future and will not sell them unless it is stupid money. Kalynychenko also has the experience and is more of an international regular.

  • 7 nightfall // Sep 7, 2007 at 3:15 PM

    i don’t mind if we sell emre…and babayaro…and carr… but i’d keep duff…he’s 28…in his best years…experienced (PL, CL, international) and when he’s in form he’s one of the best wingers in the league…if not europe… with sam’s technique..he’ll soon be back on top…

  • 8 Craig Allen // Sep 7, 2007 at 3:17 PM

    Zog needn’t worry – Le Bleu’s loss is Le Toon’s gain :-D

  • 9 dragoner // Sep 7, 2007 at 3:22 PM

    Toni Kroos plays central/attacking midfield, he is probably the highest rated german youngster right now, and would be an amazing signing for the future.
    He is a bit like cesc…not quite as good tho, but he is like 3 or 4 yrs younger than cesc so he got a lot of time to grow.

    but yes i think you are right about Silva, Chelsea or Real Madrid are likely to sign him next year

  • 10 Ed Harrison // Sep 7, 2007 at 4:43 PM

    Steve – he was good the 2 seasons before last and remember I was surprised then that he wasn’t on any France team – not even the under-19s.

  • 11 Ed Harrison // Sep 7, 2007 at 4:44 PM

    Craig – agree

  • 12 Ed Harrison // Sep 7, 2007 at 4:46 PM

    dragoner – think Sam may well do that in January if he cannot get any production out of Duff and Emre – they’re very injury prone – and since they don’t play too many games for us – maybe we should look around. Think Sam will definitely try to get a couple hundred thousand for Babayaro – before his contract ends next summer – he is always injured.

  • 13 Sean // Sep 7, 2007 at 4:50 PM

    how much did charlie cost us again i forgot? it was next to nothing wasn’t it?

  • 14 Bob // Sep 7, 2007 at 5:08 PM

    Toni Kroos is amazing but I doubt that we would get him, to be honest.

    Bayern have splashed the cash this season, they look very strong and he’ll probably want to stay there.

  • 15 dragoner // Sep 7, 2007 at 5:41 PM

    zoggy cost around 250 to 300 grand, if we were to ever sell him we will get at least 20 times that

  • 16 Bill F // Sep 7, 2007 at 8:47 PM

    I’m curious, did Zog actually pay the money himself or was he subsidised by by the club?

  • 17 Lamesley Mag // Sep 8, 2007 at 7:21 AM

    Zog has been a sensation this season and long may it continue. When Enrique finds his feet at LB, expect Zog to make the LW position his home at Newcastle for several years to come.

    I expect BSA to sell Emre, Carr, Babayaro and maybe even Duff in the next transfer window as they are all injury prone, but who will he bring in? It’s exciting as we know BSA will continue to strengthen the squad. However, adequate funding may be needed to make the big push for Europe later this season……

  • 18 Beastie // Sep 8, 2007 at 10:59 PM

    u cant knok the kid he has played left back! out of position, some ex players dyer, bellamy take note!!!! charlie has been great for newcastle very exciting to watch!




previous post: Steven Taylor Rejects Newcastle Contract Offer

next post: Major Newcastle News Stories – 7th September – 2007