Some local news breaking yesterday that Emre has gone public with his wish to leave Newcastle for Galatasaray in January. We don’t know why he has done this but it’s a bit early on the 9th September to say you are going to leave in January.
Doesn’t Emre want to see how things go under Big Sam? It seems he may have already made up his mind.
Lots of news reports on Michael Owen and his goal. In case overseas supporters haven’t seen the video highlights of the England – Israel game we include them in todays reports.
We also have the results of our poll on Who should be Newcastle’s goalkeeper?
- We took the opportunity over the weekend to run a poll on Who Should Be Newcastle’s Goalkeeper? Here are the results.
Shay Given – 3 out of 4 fans still prefer Shay to Steve Harper
- A good story today from Chris Mort who says the aim for Newcastle’s new regime is to be fan friendly. Since the fans are the customers of Newcastle United that’s another way of saying treat your customers well – which is always good business. We are very pleased with the new regime in multiple ways. The best thing is they seem to be excellent business men. Now with busy billionaire owner Mike Ashley finding the time to attend the Newcastle games that has given a big lift to the fans. We also think the Mike Ashley thing about him being shy was a little overplayed. He wanted to keep his photo out of the media so he could go around unnoticed but once he bought Newcastle he must have known that would never again be possible, But it looks Mike enjoys the attention – so that’s good all around.
Mike Ashley – new regime wants to be fan friendly – sounds good to us!
- With Michael Owen looking good again we review some of the comments he made after the England game. Michael had quite a lot of rubbish to put up with since he joined Newcastle but we guess that comes with the territory when you are as big a star as Michael. In retrospect he’s handled himself and the pressure well, and we think he’d rather just get on with playing football and scoring goals. He talks today about his injuries and he comes across as a very sensible young lad. The hope is that he hits top form for Newcastle and then we extend his contract
We also have a piece on Michael on our forum where we invite you to offer your opinion on whether Michael will be as good as he was before his injuries.
Michael Owen – a sensible young lad who just wants to play football and score goals
- For those of you residing outside England and Europe here are the highlights of England’s fine win against Israel. It includes Michael’s great goal from just outside the box that gave the Israel goalkeeper no chance. A good performance by the English lads and now we need a win on Wednesday against an in-form Russia side. Then everything in the garden will be rosy – as they say
Shaun Wright Philips - scoring an opportunist goal for England on Saturday
- We take a look forward to when the Newcastle players return from the international break. Seems like Sam will have a few selection posers. He needs to select the goalkeeper, the back four and who will start up front. In these cases multiple players are in form and Sam will need to decide who to play. This is something we are not used to at Newcastle but this competition is a must if the team is to be successful. If handled right by the players and manager everybody can stay happy as long as the team is doing well – which of course is by far the most important thing.
Shola Ameobi – will start with Owen up front at Derby?
- We ran a piece late yesterday about Emre. We were surprised that he has let it be known to the press that he wants to leave Newcastle in January for Galatasaray in Turkey. Seems an odd time to come out with the statement but the President of the Turkish club says they want Emre. This seems like Emre doesn’t relish competition for places at Newcastle but we still think Sam may give him a run out at Derby next Monday. Sam hasn’t seen him in action much. We paid â‚¤3.8M for Emre and we’d want to get at least our money back if Sam decides he can go in January. Also what’s up with Babayaro and why has he been out with a groin strain for nearly 6 months? We think he may be moved out in January also.
Emre – announced yesterday he wants to leave Newcastle for Galatasaray in January
- We ran a late story on the Taylor contract dispute. Turns out the Sunday Sun is reporting that Milner’s contract was struck at â‚¤30K/week and Steven Taylor was offered â‚¤20K/week. Not sure why the difference since we think the two of them along with N’Zogbia should be on parity. That’s unless Sam thinks that Taylor will not get the number of games the other two will get this season because of all the experience d defenders Sam has brought into the team. In fact we don’t expect Steven to make the team at Derby next Monday.
Steven Taylor – in contract dispute with Newcastle
- Another late story yesterday was news that Freddy Shepherd may be looking to put a bid in for Leeds United. The club is currently owned by former Chelsea Chairman Ken Bates. We think it could be a good deal for Freddy because somebody needs to get Leeds United back into the premiership. Ever since Don Revie became manager in the 1960s Leeds have been a a top team who have competed in Europe many times. They have a good brand names and now may be a good time for wily businessman Shepherd to snap them up. We believe Freddy could have them in the Premiership after a few years – certainly that would be the goal.
Freddy Shepherd – mulling over a bid for Leeds United
- What’s being discussed on our Newcastle United Blog?
Here’s some of the recent and popular discussions going on:
- As you know our site has been nominated for ‘Best Sports Blog’ as part of the Bloggers Choice Awards. If you would like to vote for us you can do so here. You can also browse through other nominations you can vote for.
SoccerLens was also nominated and you can vote for Ahmed’s Bilal’s site here.
- Finally here’s some choice football quotes. These are to lighten up the day
“The goals made such a difference to the way this game went.” – John Motson
“And Seaman, just like a falling oak, manages to change direction.” – John Motson
“Gary Lineker has now scored 37 goals. That is precisely twice as many as last year.” – John Motson
“The Spaniards have been reduced to aiming aimless balls into the box.” – Ron Atkinson
We always appreciate your comments on our Daily Update.