We have a number of Newcastle’s players today talking about Newcastle, their good start to the season, and just how strong our squad appears to be this season.
Andrew Carroll plays his first game tonight for the England Under-19 team against Belarus at Nottingham – we wish Andy the very best.
We also report again on the rather odd Emre comment about wanting to leave Newcastle – we’ve had lots of comments on the article so fans seem interested in what’s happening with Emre.
- Sam Allardyce discusses Michael Owen’s return to form and says this will not only be good for England but also for Newcastle. There’s no doubt that Michael is looking good and in the next few weeks we would hope that he’s as good as he’s ever been. This is a victory for Owen, who has never had to put up with bad injuries like this ever in his career. But the man he admires a lot – Alan Shearer – went through some bad injuries and we’re sure that Alan has been a help to him. Good time tomorrow for Michael to get more goals since it’s going to be important for England to get a win against Russia – who lie above us in our European qualifying group.
Michael Owen – starting to score regularly – this one a late classic against Wigan
- We had a late story we published yesterday on Habib Beye. Turns out he knew quite a few players in the Newcastle squad before he arrived at Newcastle on the very last day of the transfer window. He knew Cacapa well since they were captains of French rivals Marseilles and Lyon respectively and he also played against Rozehnal who was at PSG for two years before moving to Newcastle. Habib seems very happy that the Newcastle squad is so strong and Beye seems another confident and experienced capture by Allardyce.
Habib Beye – pleased that Newcastle squad so strong
- Newcastle captain Geremi speaks today to the Evening Chronicle and is pleased with the start the club have made to the season. With 9 players in Geremi seems to share Sam Allardyce’s thoughts that Newcastle will only get better as the players gel. Geremi also says he is happy with the fight and spirit in the team and thinks the start is a good one, given there are so many new players in the squad.
Geremi – pleased with Newcastle’s start to the season
- Newcastle goalkeeper Steve Harper talks today about Newcastle captain Geremi, his manager Sam Allardyce and the Newcastle squad Sam has built in a very short 3 months. He thinks Geremi is a great choice as captain because Steve says he is so experienced and always very calm about things. Steve also gives Big Sam some compliments as he talks about Sam’s vast knowledge of world football. Steve also talks about some of the players Sam brought in and has been surprised at both how good and how experienced they all seem to be.
Steve Harper – thinks Geremi is an excellent choice as captain of Newcastle
- We look at what Sam Allardcye has said about Emre’s strange outburst about wanting to leave Newcastle in January for his old club Galatasaray. It seems strange to use that Emre made the statement since he still has 3 years left on the 5 year contract he signed when he joined Newcastle in July, 2005. While he’s good when he plays, Emre is blighted by injuries, and has played only about half of Newcastle’s games in the last two years. Sam doesn’t think what he said is a big deal and pointed out he’s going nowhere in the 4 months. We cannot believe Sam is particularly happy about Emre’s comments and think the Turk will find that out when he gets back to the club later this week.
Emre – strange statement from Turkish international Emre
- Andy Carroll plays his first game for the England Under-19 team against Belarus at Nottingham tonight. Andrew has a good chance to make the squad for the qualifying games next month of the 2008 European Under-19 Championships. England have 3 games in the first part of October and we would expect Carroll to be in that squad and get some vital international experience. Andy has played 4 times for Preston North End during his 6 months loan spell but has yet to score. hey – good time to get a goal tonight.
Andrew Carroll – plays for the England Under-19 team tonight against Belarus
- For those of you residing outside England and Europe here are the highlights of England’s fine win against Israel. It includes Michael’s great goal from just outside the box that gave the Israel goalkeeper no chance. A good performance by the English lads and now we need a win on Wednesday against an in-form Russia side. Then everything in the garden will be rosy – as they say 😀
Shaun Wright Philips – scoring an opportunist goal for England on Saturday
- What’s being discussed on our Newcastle United Blog?
Here’s some of the recent and popular discussions going on:
- As you know our site has been nominated for ‘Best Sports Blog’ as part of the Bloggers Choice Awards. If you would like to vote for us you can do so here. You can also browse through other nominations you can vote for.
SoccerLens was also nominated and you can vote for Ahmed’s Bilal’s site here.
- Finally here’s some choice football quotes. These are to lighten up the day 😀
“Well, we got nine and you can’t score more than that.” – Bobby Robson commenting on Newcastle 8-0 win against Sheffield Wednesday
“We’ve got great speed in the team, not just Gary Speed, but great speed!” – Bobby Robson
“Practice makes permanent.” – Bobby Robson
“I’ve had 14 bookings this season – 8 of which were my fault, but 7 of which were disputable.” – Paul Gascoigne
We always appreciate your comments on our Daily Update.