Ashley and Mort Loving Life on Tyneside

Chris Mort yesterday expressed his satisfaction with Newcastle’s good start to the season to Lee Ryder of the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

He is also pleased with the immediate impact of our new arrivals which has Newcastle already in a top-six position, after just 4 games.

Mike Ashley and Chris Mort are both said to be loving life on Tyneside and certainly owner Mike is quickly becoming a number one fan.

chris-mort-pensive.jpg

Chris MortNewcastle Chairman pleased with the summer’s transfer activity

Newcastle Chairman Chris Mort told the Evening Chronicle yesterday:

“Everything is going very well and we are still working hard at the club.”“The transfer window was a busy period and we spent time focusing on getting the squad right. But we are delighted with the signings we brought in.”

“We are now focusing on making sure the squad is kept in good shape.” “But we are also working hard on other aspects of the club”.

The signings Sam and Chris have made have quickly transformed the squad to include added resilience and skill, especially in defense. 3 clean sheets in the first 5 games is an excellent start and the more clean sheets Newcastle can get this season the better the team will do in the league. Chris went on:

“Mike is enjoying the games after coming to a few in the last few weeks.” ““It was a surprise to some people that Mike wore the shirt at the games.”“But Mike’s nature, and I have said this all along, is one of a football supporter.”

“He asked me to run the club but he just wants to support the club, which he is thoroughly enjoying doing.”

We think that Mike Ashley will be attending a lot more games than he originally planned because it’s obvious he’s now a big fan and seems to love the atmosphere not only at the ground but also in Newcastl. Mike is of course becoming a huge celebrity at Newcastle – and rightly so.

We think Chris Mort is running the club for Mike very efficiently and seems to have already learned a lot of football management from manager supreme Sam Allardyce. We would hope that Chris will be our long term chairman but since his wife and family are still in North London that looks unlikely.

Speaking at a dinner on Monday evening to honor Newcastle legend Malcolm Macdonald, who now lives in the High Heaton district of Newcastle Mort added:

“The unbeaten run has been very good so far.” “Clearly we will have our moments when it doesn’t go so well, but at the moment the run is still going.” “And we will be delighted to keep it going as long as we can.”

With so many players involved during the International break is can be a scary time for Newcastle management. One of the things we are trying to improve this season is the Newcastle injury record – and so far nobody has been injured during the international break.

Mort continued:

“We have a slightly different perspective when it comes to the international break.” “It is a case of waiting patiently for everyone to come back healthy.”“So far it sounds as though got through the weekend unscathed.”

“Michael Owen scored a great goal and is building up a nice little run of scoring, which is good for Newcastle.” “We had no problems or reports of injury, so it was a good weekend all round.”

“The work now is to bed those players into the squad and make sure they gel.” “We won’t think about any new signings until we get the current squad working together.” “There is competition for places all over the pitch, which is healthy for Newcastle United.”

There’s no doubt we’ve made a good start to the season which can be maintained at Derby County next Monday evening with a clean sheet and a win – we certainly hope so.

• Alex Brett

Sep 12, 2007 at 9:47 AM

I love Newcastle!!!!!

• Hammy

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:10 AM

Read an article by Patrick Collins in the Mail, he was commenting on Mike’s behaviour after the Wigan game where he went “clubbing” after the match and bought fans and staff drinks, obviously went down well with the fans but not so with Mr Collins who reported that Mike’s behaviour made FFS look “classy” in comparison………so what if the club Chairman and owner want to go out after the match???? I’d rather read that than see Freddie sitting in the stands with a face like a slapped arse. C’mon Mr Collins get youself down to the toon for a neet oot!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ed Harrison

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:12 AM

Alex – same here 😀

• rich

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:12 AM

i wonder how much Mike Ashleys ticket cost….. 😀

• Craig Allen

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:46 AM

lol @ face slapped like an arse

“We won’t think about any new signings until we get the current squad working together” – hope the current squad gels completely by January as we need a new signing in midfield.

Oh, and with regards to classy or not – I’d go for not in this case. Go Mike! Freddy can take his “class” to Leeds.

• StevieA

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:54 AM

I couldn’t give a toss what Mr Collin’s has to say.

I can’t understand how people can write about football when they have never been involved in it. Sod the papers, waste of space they are.

It’s like the whole Madeleine thing. I said from the start that the parents are guilty as sin. They look shifty to me. Yet the papers think they are innocent from the off and rally the whole country to back them. It makes me sick it really does.

That’s papers for you though! The other thing that annoys me about that is that 1000’s of kids go missing every year and you read about ONE everyday.

All they want to do is sell papers nothing else.

• StevieA

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Anyway it’s good to see a “normal” chairman. I am bloody sure if I was a billionaire I wouldn’t be sitting in the house every night!

What do they want him to do hide in an office? It’s good for the club that he is “one of us” the problem with past chairman is that they never really mingled with fans. Ashley is doing that and I think it’s nice too see and also very shrewd on his part because fans will have more patience which him.

• dragoner

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:18 AM

i agree with everything Stevie just said, even the madelaine comments,

“1000’s of kids go missing every year and you read about ONE everyday.” i have said that ever since football players started wearing T-Shirts saying “dont forget”, all this hassle over one kid just because her parents are rich, aint it depressing how much of a difference a bit of money can make in how hard the police and media actually try to find a missing child.

• smudger

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Let’s keep supporting Mike. Whether he is doing it to sell shirts or because is he falling for the Toons charms. He’s the best we’ve had for a long time.

• Alex Brett

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Either way we have a bright future!! I truly beleive that Ashley is here for the long haul. And being at the games jumping round like a kid at Christmas makes me beleive we have a bright future!!! the press who are saying it is a pr stunt are stupid!! thats ridiculas, you can see that he is enjoying this new experience!!! And I certainly am aswell, long may it continue and get this club back where it belongs!!!

• StevieA

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:45 PM

“SevieA – you are an idiot. “You said from the start the parents were guilty” is that because you had the facts or because of their “shifty faces”. You sound like you should be a newspaper reporter and contradict yourelf with your line on people commenting on issues they have no real understanding of. Unless of course you are a policeman involved in the case which I doubt.”

Why for going against the grain? I can tell when people are guilty. I did the same thing with The soham murders mate. You only have to look at peoples mannerisms and the way the use the media to tell whether they are guilty or not. They have gone on whirlwind tours and used the media to there favour. They have received millions from people who “assume” they are innocent.

If they are found to be guilty I will hate to say I told you so but.. I will. If they are found guilty I hope that they are shanked in jail.

What about the other 1000’s of kids missing? Or don’t they matter? It’s pathetic.

• smudger

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:26 PM

For SteveA…..I’m not saying they didn’t do it. And now the facts are coming out it is looking more likely. However I believe someone should be treated as an innocent until proven guilty, not guilty just because they look shify. Perhaps the reporters have had a feeling all along with this one that it would turn into a big story and that’s why it has stayed as headlines and not because they have money. (big stories sell papers)
    I agree it’s a shame about all the other kids that get abused and do not get the coverage.
    I hope I am never up in court for something I didn’t do and your in the jury next to my wife(who decides peoples guilt on the shape of their faces)……”We have no evidence, can’t prove it, but hey you look shify, so therefore you must have done it”.
    I hope (but doubt) the kid turns up safe and we are all proved wrong!

• maggpie

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Stevie A – what a cretin! What the hell do you know?

There is nothing to suggest Madelaine’s parents are guilty and I will be astonished if they are. How heartless are you?
    As for many children going missing, that is a broadbrush statistic which includes all ages. It is still thankfully very rare for a three year old child to go missing. This human tragedy has deserved every bit of media attention and my heart goes out to the MCcans.

• dragoner

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Smudger

“Perhaps the reporters have had a feeling all along with this one that it would turn into a big story and that’s why it has stayed as headlines”

I agree with you, but i believe it is a result of both the media AND the social status of the victims/supsects

• maggpie

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:37 PM

dragoner “the social status of the victims/supsects”

More nonsense on this subject from envious people with a chip on their shoulder.

I think people should stick to being ill informed and ignorant about football instead of exercising those character frailties on more important issues.

• dragoner

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:37 PM

Maggpie

Of course i do not agree with the heartless comments made by some people because at the end of the day there is still an innocent child involved, but Maggpie why does it deserve all of the media attention it has receieved? has it helped? who stands to gain the most from all of the media attention? do the papers even care about this girl? you have to question certain things sometimes rather than being so passive.

• dragoner

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:38 PM

i am not envious in any way

• maggpie

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:41 PM

dragoner – People do care. Despite the increasingly high percentage of yobs and delinquents in our society, most people are still decent, and do care. The media attention is absolutely justified because as I said earlier it is very rare for a 3 year old girl to go missing.
    Have people who resent such media attention stopped for a second to try and appreciate what it must be like to have your child abducted?

• dragoner

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:42 PM

but how has the media helped? you still haven’t answered??

• maggpie

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:42 PM

“all this hassle over one kid just because her parents are rich, aint it depressing how much of a difference a bit of money can make in how hard the police and media actually try to find a missing child”

That suggests envy and resentment to me.

• dragoner

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:45 PM

i do not care what it “suggests” to you, the fact is you do not know me yet you still pass judgement based on a Newcastle United Blog comment, how shallow can you be

• maggpie

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:48 PM

“but how has the media helped? you still haven’t answered??”

By keeping public attention and concern at a high level although that will decline as people get on with their own lives. Of course these ridiculous and false accusations (in my opinion) have added to the coverage.

How Stevie A can see guilt in those people is beyond me. When I see them I see two crushed and destroyed parents standing up incredibly strongly to the most devastating event any parent could contemplate.

• maggpie

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:49 PM

I accept that criticism dragoner and will close this subject now, from me anyhow.

• dragoner

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:52 PM

whats to say that keeping public attention and concern at a highlevel wont have a negative effect? its a possibility that the media doesn’t even consider as long as they sell their papers to a passive audience like you who simply swallow everything the media spoon feeds you

• maggpie

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Who’s your first choice pair up front dragoner?
    I can’t contemplate either Owen or Martins missing out so I’d like to see them tried together or alternatively Viduka, Owen and Martins in a 4-3-3.

• Toon Chicken

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:15 PM

Haway man people. Think some of you have stumbled on to the wrong blog. This is supposed to be about NUFC. Remember?

And before anyone says – yes I know somethings are more important than football/The Toon etc. I just don’t think people should be discussing them on here.

• dragoner

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:16 PM

…well at least there is something we can agree on, i too would like to see both Martins and Owen played, first choice would be Martins and Owen if we have height in the midfield e.g. Faye and Barton in CM

…i hate to say it but Owen is more likely to find the space than Martins, even though i dont think Martins deserves to be benched

• dragoner

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Toon Chicken you are write, i will be keeping my comments about football from now on people

• dragoner

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:18 PM

i meant “right”

• maggpie

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Also agreed Toon Chicken and dragoner.

It’s an old cliche “nice problem for the manager to have” but Sam has “problems” all over the park. Agree dragoner Martins doesn’t deserve to be benched but Owen is something special if he really is back to something like his best. We’ll find out more tonight. What a potent force though with players that can score goals like Martins’ first against Bolton and Owen’s against Israel. I have a feeling our apparent difficulty in scoring, particularly at home since February, is about to explode.

• big pea ov the weab

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:41 PM

i was in blu bambu wen he came in a actualy spoke to him for about 2 mins like but wot a bloke he aparently left a massive tip for the girls behind the bar as well

• Toon Chicken

Sep 12, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Magpie – looks like Owen is back to his best to me. Lovely finish! Come on England!!

And haway the lads!!!

• Toon Chicken

Sep 12, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Actually, hold the press on that last comment about Micky O. That was an absolute sitter he just missed!

Hopefully he’s just saving some of his goals for Derby on Monday 😉