The main news this morning is that the Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has been talking to the media on lots of different topics and as usually he has some interesting things to say.
He acknowledges that with the strong squad he has it’s going to be difficult for him to keep everybody happy.
But there again that’s one of the managers major jobs with a successful team because by definition they usually have a strong squad with competition for places.
- We had a late article yesterday on Joey Barton talking about Newcastle. The surprising thing with Joey has been how upbeat and positive he has been. This continued in this interview he gives. Joey is now back in light training and starts full training with the squad a week come Monday. We think Joey can add a new dimension to the Newcastle central midfield.
Joey Barton – very upbeat on Newcastle future
- We put out an interview with Sam Allardyce late yesterday from the Daily Mail and never heard Sam be so upbeat and positive on the side Newcastle has assembled over the summer. We feel that once the Newcastle management team sit back and look at the dealings they did in the summer they can hardly believe how good a squad they actually got assembled. It’s already showing in performances from the likes of Cacapa, Rozehnal and Geremi and we still have to see quite a few of the new players in the Newcastle colors. It surprised us that admitted pessimist Allardcye was just so upbeat about things at Newcastle. That’s nice to hear.
Sam Allardyce – so upbeat on the squad he has assembled at Newcastle
- A good interview with the big man today as he talks about the Given – Harper competition for our goalkeeper spot. We expect Steve to be between the posts again on Monday evening but he will feel the pressure of Shay breathing down his neck. Hopefully that will produce the right response from Steve to give us another excellent performance in goal.
Steve Harper – we think he will start at Derby on Monday night
- Sam Allardyce talks about his new squad and the fact that people both on the playing and training staff still don’t know each other too well. We’re sure Sam (being the good manager he is) is trying to fix that with get togethers for his staff, the players and their families. But Sam points out the fact we have made a good start is at a time when that’s hardest to do. He points out that as the players and staff gel, things should only get even better 😀
Sam Allardcye – things will improve as players and staff gel
- With the great competition for places in the Newcastle team and the fewer games Newcastle will play this season because we are not in Europe, causes Sam to admit it will be difficult to keep everybody happy on the playing side. He’s right and he specifically talks about the challenge he will have with Oba Martins as Michael Owen hits his very top form. But Oba has been the perfect team player this season and he has twice come off the bench to either make a goal or score a goal. Oba is still contributing very well to the team and we hope Sam can keep Oba and all the other players reasonably happy this season.
Oba Martins – has been a good team player for Newcastle this season
- Sam Allardyce talks about how important the fans are to him at Newcastle. Sam makes a point in continually communicating to the fan base every week and thinks it’s a very important part of his job. He’s certainly an excellent communicator and so far so very good this season. We sure hope it continues because Sam is really admired by the Newcastle faithful for multiple reasons.
Sam Allardcye – Newcastle fan base is very important to him
- Joey Barton is now back in light training and is scheduled to begin full training with the squad in about a week. This should put him ready to play in the Manchester City game at Eastlands at the end of September. We have missed Joey’s creativity in midfield and we think he’ll give us another dimension when he returns to the side. It definitely looks like competition for places is heating up.
Joey Barton – back in full training in about a week
- What’s being discussed on our Newcastle United Blog?
Here’s some of the recent and popular discussions going on:
- What Difference Will Joey Barton Make in Midfield
- Discussion of the next league game with Derby County at Pride Park
- Will Michael Owen be as good as before he was injured?
- As you know our site has been nominated for ‘Best Sports Blog’ as part of the Bloggers Choice Awards. If you would like to vote for us you can do so here. You can also browse through other nominations you can vote for. SoccerLens was also nominated and you can vote for Ahmed’s Bilal’s site here.
- Here’s some choice football quotes. These are to lighten up the day 😀
“Their football was exceptionally good – and they played some good football.” – Bobby Robson
“He should get his head to those. He is twelve foot tall.” – Ron Atkinson
“That would have been a goal if it wasn’t saved.” – Kevin Keegan
“The good news for Nigeria is that they’re two-nil down very early in the game.” – Kevin Keegan