There’s some good articles in both the People and the Sunday Mirror today on Sam Allardcye’s use of Dr. Mark Nesti, a clinical phsychologist he has used for both Michael Owen and Alan Smith.
Dr. Nesti is now part of Sam’s back-room staff to allow players to overcome major injuries and other mental problems – and stay positive and upbeat.
Sam is a big believer in having his players both physically and mentally fit, for each game they play.
- England manager Steve McClaren talks at length today about Michael Owen and how he has done so well to come back from his last two years of injuries. With Michael’s great performances for England against both Israel and Russia you could argue he saved Steve his job. At the very least he kept him in his job and while we’ve never though much of Steve as a manger he’s a great guy and has lots of good things to day in general and about Michael in particular. Steve can take credit for picking an excellent England team when so many starters were not available through injury. Unfortunately Emile Heskey, who paired so well with Michael in both England games has broke a metatarsal bone in his foot and will not be available for England’s next games next month.
Michael Owen – as quick as he ever was according to Newcastle
- We have our Derby vs Newcastle preview today and we fully expect 3 points tomorrow night. The game will be broadcast on Setanta Sports in countries around the world and while we cannot get over-confident, these are games Newcastle just have to win this season. A win will take us into the top 4 and if Manchester City don’t win today against Aston Villa we’ll be in 3rd place.
Derby County vs Newcastle United – Monday 17th September 8PM BST KO
- We have an article on our two latest Newcastle signings Abdoulaye Faye and Habib Beye and what Sam says about each of his new arrivals. We believe Habib Beye will start tomorrow night at right-back and Habib has a good chance to keep that position throughout this season. We’re also looking at having Jose Enrique start to play at left-back, although we think N’Zogbia will be there tomorrow night. Certainly Sam has lots of defenders to choose from and we expect Abdoulaye Faye will have a struggle to be a starter at Newcastle.
Habib Beye – expected to start tomorrow night at right-back
- Michael Owen is quoted in both the People and the Sunday Mirror today on what went on with his rehabilitation and how he’s been in coming back from almost 2 years of injury. After the two England games, Michael seems not only super-confident but he’s also probably fitter than he’s ever been in his whole career. That will stay that way under new manager Sam Allardyce and Michael comes across as very confident on his own abilities and thinks he’s as good as ever. We agree 😀
Michael Owen – scoring on Wednesday night against Russia
- Sam Allardyce has admitted that for players Alan Smith and Michael Owen, he has used Dr Mark Nesti, who is a clinical psychologist. Sam seems to have gone to all lengths to ensure his players are fir physically and mentally for the team. And if it means ensuring his players are mentally fit, confident and positive he has shown he is very willing to do that. There are some excellent comments there from Big Sam and we think it’s a good article.
Sam Allardyce – believes his players have to be mentally as well as physically fit
- Sam Allardyce talks about how important the fans are to him at Newcastle. Sam makes a point in continually communicating to the fan base every week and thinks it’s a very important part of his job. He’s certainly an excellent communicator and so far so very good this season. We sure hope it continues because Sam is really admired by the Newcastle faithful for multiple reasons.
Sam Allardcye – Newcastle huge fan base is very important to him
- What’s being discussed on our Newcastle United Blog?
Here’s some of the recent and popular discussions going on:
- What Difference Will Joey Barton Make in Midfield
- Discussion of the next league game with Derby County at Pride Park
- Will Michael Owen be as good as before he was injured?
- As you know our site has been nominated for ‘Best Sports Blog’ as part of the Bloggers Choice Awards. If you would like to vote for us you can do so here. You can also browse through other nominations you can vote for. SoccerLens was also nominated and you can vote for Ahmed’s Bilal’s site here.
- Here’s some choice football quotes. These are to lighten up the day 😀
“The spirit he has shown has been second to none.” – Terry Venables, on Terry Fenwick’s drunk-driving charge
“I felt a lump in my mouth as the ball went in.” – Terry Venables
“We managed to wrong a few rights.” – Kevin Keegan
“Nicolas Anelka left Arsenal for Â£23M and they built a training ground on him.” – Kevin Keegan