Some good quotes today from Sam Allardyce, James Milner and Alan Shearer.
Alan Shearer talks about Michael Owen’s come-back and thinks Michael is as good as he ever was.
Sam talks about the injury situation with Joey Barton and that it will still be another 3-4 weeks for his recovery.
Tonight of course is our game with Derby County, who have conceded 15 goals in their first 5 games, including a 6-0 loss to Liverpool at Anfield last time out. It will not be easy for Newcastle but a win will take us up to 4th place. The game is broadcast live on Setanta Sports in most countries around the world.
- James Milner speaks today about how much tougher Newcastle United have become under new manager Sam Allardyce. With the defense having been toughened up considerably it’s much harder to score goals against Newcastle. That has been borne out by having 3 clean sheets in the first 5 games by Newcastle. James certainly seems very happy at the winning mentality that he sees in the dressing room these days.
James Milner – winning attitude now in the Newcastle dressing room
- We’ve all the rumors yesterday that Steven Taylor will want to leave Newcastle if he is not in the team tonight against Derby County – and we don’t believe one word of it. For one thing there’s still almost 4 months to go before Steven could leave Newcastle, even if he wanted to. That’s far too much time for Steven to be making these statements or however the Sunday Sun got the information. While Steven may be unhappy at being left out tonight for the experienced Habib Beye, he’s mature enough to take it and fight for his position in the team.
Steven Taylor – should be willing to fight for his place in the back four
- Alan Shearer is quoted today talking about Michael Owen to BBC Radio. Alan scoffs at the notion that Michael is slower than he used to be and according to Newcastle speed reports, Michael is as quick as ever. Alan thinks Michael has shown good character in coming back and is now as good as ever. We agree.
Michael Owen – Shearer thinks he’s as good as before his injuries
- Sam Allardyce today talks about the injury to Joey Barton and that it was more serious than first thought. Joey will not be able to return until some time later next month as he is still 3-4 weeks away from being available for selection. Sam points out that that’s not a problem to him having seen the midfielders play well so far this season.
Joey Barton – available for selection in 3-4 weeks time
- We had our Derby vs Newcastle preview yesterday and we fully expect 3 points tonight. The game will be broadcast on Setanta Sports in countries around the world and while we cannot get over-confident, these are games Newcastle just have to win this season. A win will take us into 4th place.
Derby County vs Newcastle United – Monday 17th September 8PM BST KO
- We have an article on our two latest Newcastle signings Abdoulaye Faye and Habib Beye and what Sam says about each of his new arrivals. We believe Habib Beye will start tomorrow night at right-back and Habib has a good chance to keep that position throughout this season. We’re also looking at having Jose Enrique start to play at left-back, although we think N’Zogbia will be there tomorrow night. Certainly Sam has lots of defenders to choose from and we expect Abdoulaye Faye will have a struggle to be a starter at Newcastle.
Habib Beye – expected to start tomorrow night at right-back
- What’s being discussed on our Newcastle United Blog?
Here’s some of the recent and popular discussions going on:
- What Difference Will Joey Barton Make in Midfield
- Discussion of the next league game with Derby County at Pride Park
- Will Michael Owen be as good as before he was injured?
- As you know our site has been nominated for ‘Best Sports Blog’ as part of the Bloggers Choice Awards. If you would like to vote for us you can do so here. You can also browse through other nominations you can vote for. SoccerLens was also nominated and you can vote for Ahmed’s Bilal’s site here.
- Here’s some choice football quotes. These are to lighten up the day 😀
“The effort I think you should take for granted, but sometimes it’s not there.” – Graham Taylor
“To be really happy, we must throw our hearts over the bar and hope that our bodies will follow.” – Graham Taylor
“I feel that every time I get the ball at the moment I am going to score.” – Michael Owen
“You never get fed up of scoring goals.” – Alan Shearer