Quite a few interviews today from the Newcastle players and one from Big Al himself – who has a new book out, Alan Shearer – My Illustrated Career.
Obviously a good read for all Newcastle fans, and England fans for that matter. It has a forward by the great Sir Bobby Robson – one of our most favorite people – that should be worth the price of the book alone – which is Â£18.99 😀
- We’re confused today about whether Michael Owen needs a hernia operation or not. Sam made a statement yesterday that following a precautionary scan on Tuesday Michael was going to be OK for Sunday and didn’t need a hernia operation. That didn’t stop many press outlets coming out saying Michael was going to be out up to 6 weeks because he needed a hernia operation. One way to fill papers we hope. We’ll trust what Newcastle and Sam have said – and that Michael will be in the team on Sunday – a couple of goals would be nice 😀
Michael Owen – will start Newcastle’s game against West Ham on Sunday hopefully
- Alan Shearer has a new book out on his career and he talked yesterday about – yes – right first time – Newcastle United. He points out that Sam has brought some good players into the team and that, apart from Monday night, we have made a good start to the season – well at least a decent start. Alan’s right, but we think the game on Sunday is going to be important and it gives the lads a chance to prove they are going to do much better than last season – and hopefully eventually qualify for Europe – which is our major goal. We certainly think when the game starts Sunday they will be a lot more awake than they were Monday evening.
Alan Shearer– the famous salute – which he did 206 times for Newcastle
- Another good interview on our official Newcastle site – www.nufc.co.uk with Nicky Butt. Nicky says that Big Sam told them exactly how Derby County would play on Monday night – all guns blazing from the very first whistle – and he was so right. We wonder why we started so glibly and then got worse if the team had been so warned. It was an off night – that’s for sure – but Nicky wants to win on Sunday against West Ham – and so do we. Good honest stuff again from Nicky.
Nicky Butt – wants a win on Sunday against West Ham – so do the fans
- David Rozehnal talks today about feeling really sore after the game on Monday night. We’re not surprised since it was very physical in central defense for both Cacapa and Rozehnal – but we think they are very quickly getting used to the Premiership. We also ask how we can get some creativity into our midfield before Emre and Barton are fit again. We think young Charlie N’Zogbia can do a job for us there – and it’s at least worth a try. We can always change it if it doesn’t work – but Charles has done everything Sam had asked of him this season. Nevertheless the team Sam selects will be interesting in itself. We expect Beye to start at right back too.
Habib Beye – right back on Sunday against West Ham?
- We have an article today wondering what our team will be against West Ham Sunday. We start 3 games Sunday in 6 days with Arsenal following on Tuesday evening in London and then a tough away game at Manchester City on the following Saturday. All three games are on our Newcastle United Forum so let’s know what you think on each game. It’s going to be a tough week but we need as many wins as we can get. The game at Arsenal has to be a result on the night so extra time and penalties will be required if that’s what it takes to beat Arsenal 😀
Charles N’Zogbia – can provide some creativity in central midfield on Sunday
- What’s being discussed on our Newcastle United Blog?
Here’s some of the recent and popular discussions going on:
- Newcastle vs West Ham United Sunday 23rd September 13:30 KO
- Carling Cup 3rd Round: Arsenal vs Newcastle Tues 25th Sep 19:45 KO
- Will Michael Owen be as good as before he was injured?
- As you know our site has been nominated for ‘Best Sports Blog’ as part of the Bloggers Choice Awards. If you would like to vote for us you can do so here. You can also browse through other nominations you can vote for.
SoccerLens was also nominated and you can vote for Ahmed’s Bilal’s site here.
- Here’s some choice football quotes. These hopefully will lighten up the day 😀
“As one door closes, another one shuts.” – Howard Wilkinson
“If they hadn’t scored, we would’ve won.” – Howard Wilkinson
“Young David’s young.” – Glenn Hoddle
“Playing with wingers is more effective against European sides like Brazil than English sides like Wales.” – Ron Greenwood