Some of Sam’s Comments Are Not Helpful

We’ve tried to stay away from the verbal battle between Big Sam and Rafa Benitez over Allardyce’s comments in Zoo Magazine earlier this week, which were not complimentary to Rafa.

Sam has a column in the magazine so we suppose he has to think of something to say for each issue. We wish he wouldn’t say some of the things he does – which seem to have nothing to do with him – but we’re going to take a look today at what Sam did say.

sam-allardyce-3265.jpg

Sam Allardycesome of his comments are not very helpful

Newcastle’s Sam Allardyce criticized Rafael Benitez’ tenure at Anfield, suggesting the Spaniard would have been very lucky to be in a job if he had not reached two Champions League finals. Sam thinks Benitez puts too much emphasis on European competition instead of making the Premier League title his top priority.

Allardyce, speaking to Zoo magazine, said:

‘Rafa would be very lucky to be in a job if he hadn’t got to two Champions League finals, because they have had some very, very poor finishes in the Premier League.”

‘While they are a very good Champions League team, they are not a Premier League-winning team yet. They don’t have that mentality to win that yet.”‘Being a foreigner, Rafa doesn’t understand it’s supposed to be Premier League first and Champions League second.’

Not sure why Sam gets involved in this since you cannot really criticize Rafa’s record, which has been very good at Liverpool. Rafa has also said he wants to win the Premiership this season – and they have started very well.

And what do you think Benitez does with all of this? Yes, of course, he is asked about the comments and he blasts back saying Sam should mind his own business. Speaking to Liverpool’s official website, Rafa said yesterday:

“Firstly, I think he (Allardyce) should be more worried about his own business because he must have more problems than to waste time talking about other managers.”

“Secondly, has he forgotten Liverpool winning the Super Cup, FA Cup and Champions League as well as reaching another Champions League final, a Carling Cup final and twice finishing third in the Premier League?”

“Maybe he doesn’t have a great memory.”

Sam must have known this would go nowhere, and we just don’t know why Sam gets himself involved with things that really have nothing to do with him. But that’s Sam – and we still love the guy    😀

• Hallage

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:44 AM

Utterly ridiculous comment by Big Sam… lets just hope he wins us some silverware this year!

• John

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Sams only telling it how it is . He would be out off a job if he had’nt won the champ league. Go on Sam . Nut him
    I hate liverpool

• MattyDread

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:04 AM

TBH it just reminds me that I’ve never liked Big Sam… But since he’s wor boss I suppose I’ve got to try to look past these incidents (and I use plural because it WILL happen again).

• Wrighty

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:11 AM

I personnally don’t think his comments are far off.

I agree with what BSA has said and he does have a point – being that Rafa’s policy has been to succeed in the CL rather than the Premiership (i.e. putting out weeker teams than thos ein the CL at certain parts of the season). If you take his comments on a positive slant then its fair comment. Certain managers devalue the PS in favour of seeking glory in the CL (i.e. “The Holy Grail” as described by Chelsea earlier in the week), which is their preference, and it may be a little sour grapes from BSA, but nothing more than that.

If he was asked by ZOO to discuss matters that involve football as regards to Newcastle, and in particular if he was asked to discuss Liverpool and the Cl, then his comments are most welcome, I doubt BSA would have gone on a crusade to upset Rafa and are only his comments. Afterall, not all ZOO readers will be Newcastle so I am not surprised he is asked to comment on other teams and football related topics.

Please do not turn into people that analyse and criticise every single word that leaves his mouth, it is quite refreshing to have a manager that speaks his mind and doesnt come out with the usual dross that we have had to listen to for the previous years….take the rough with the smooth and stick by our man !

• Dave

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:19 AM

It’s just an odd comment, blown out of proportion. The man might be good but he ain’t no saint (yet) 🙂

btw Bellamy may yet haunt us this weekend…. http://www.whufc.com/news/?page_id=9499

• Kevin W

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:22 AM

A good article that needs to be aired. But it is surely WORSE than the article suggests-isn’t it.
    In any other area of life-someone ‘spouting off’ about someone elses’s business in such a derogatory way, puts themself in danger of being accused either of pettiness (at least) or arrogance! And if that person then doesn’t back up his own credentials with results (eg like in Newcastle’s totally inept and miserable defeat at Derby on Monday) then he leaves both himself and his club open to ridicule.
    As per Mohammed Ali of old, it is ok for someone to say he is going to “float like a butterfly and sting by a bee” but only if her then does so!
    I am a dyed-in-the-wool Newcastle supporter and have been all my life but I just WISH everyone associated with the Club (from Sam down to the Tea ladies) would just shut-up on big promises or criticising other people AND JUST DO IT ON THE PITCH. That way we might not be seen as such a joke in some quarters!

• apan

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:30 AM

i hate liverfool tu, this is anfailed……

but rafa did archieve great stuff at liverpool or luckily but twice in 3 years i in a finals and top 3 in th league….so show some respect ya BSA u havent achieve that yet

• exi

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Anyone know if there’s history of these two managers, for example BSA at bolton blasting rafa for a reason?

I don’t believe he will say all these unless he didn’t really liked him in the first place 😛

• Pete

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:46 AM

He’s trying to divert attention away from the shit toon performances

• Craig Allen

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Yeah Sam. STFU. Geezus, what a set up. Surely you didn’t think Rafa would keep silent? Concentrate on your own issues first and stop trying to pull a Mourinho on other managers. I don’t give a crap about Rafa or any other coach or any other team. My allegiance is to NUFC and NUFC alone. Tell me something good about NUFC like how you plan to offload Ameobi, Babayaro, Carr and acquire some quality during Jan xfer window instead. Idiot.

• Andy4kin

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Pete- I agreed.

• yemozone

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Big sam will have to really concentrate on the teaminstead of trying to exchange words with the manager of a more successful team.

• Willowtoon

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Wait a minute guys. You want us to be one of the big four and challenging for the title. Well Wenger / Ferguson/ Mourinho and Benitez all snipe at each other to rattle and get the edge. Sam is going to do this more and more as we become a player in their group.

If you want a nice polite manager who is respectfull to his betters then look back to last season. Glen is a gentleman but not a top 4 manager

• yemozone

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Willowtoon – The managers u are talking about cant afford to lose against derby.

• evil dick

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:43 PM

I don’t see whats wrong with those comments, they’re true arent they? Benitez would be out of a job if pool hadn’t made two CL finals. When did you all become scousers anyway? I can’t take Benitez seriously with that goatee.

• Craig Allen

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:46 PM

I personally have no issue with a coach chirping (through his own or whether baited by the press) at other managers. But ffs, the coach need to at least have his own house in order before attempting to play psychological games on others. Come on Sam – FOCUS. Forget about other coaches and don’t get dragged into copy selling gimmicks by reporters baiting you.

Other than that, I’m really looking forward to WH. Come on NUFC!!!!

• nightfall

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:56 PM

i think sam has gone too far with this comments… like he’s perfect… no good manager would ever sign smith 🙂

• Hadji

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Sam as much as i like you but you ain’t one quarter of Benitez…likke he said”mind your own business”.
    Willowtoon…For Sam to be on the same level to snipe at the top four managers he has to win something with Newcastle first.

• Hadji

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:05 PM

Evil Dick…Don’t forget that he won one of those two finals.And the way you’re saying it,it looks like its the easiest thing in the world to reach 2 finals in the Champions League.
    Personally and realisticly not just me i believe that everyone who know about football would know that Sam is far far away from Benitez.

• evil dick

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Benitez inherited a pretty good team, he hasn’t really taken them to the next level by winning the league. I’m not saying it’s easy to win the CL, but if you were to measure his success by where the club were in the league before Benitez arrived, and where finished last season, then he hasn’t achieved much. Which is what BS is saying; they put the CL first.

• Hadji

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:58 PM

EvilDick….Tell me what did he inherite,half of the season he played with Mellor and Pongolle and he won the CL.They didn’t have enough money to buy Morientes who was around 7mill that time.
    If there’s anyone to speak about Rafa that would be Ferguson,Mourinho,Wenger cause all 3 of them won the Premiership title,as for BSA to say anything about Rafa he has to have the arguments first.
    Maybe in 5 years he’ll have them but untill then he has to keep his mouth shut.

• Hadji

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Craig Allen….That’s what i’m talking about,tell us something good about our team not just empty and provocative words against other managers.

• evil dick

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Hadji -BSA can say what he likes about other managers and i will back him because he’s our boss and I support nufc not liverpool.

• Cockney Magpie

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:13 PM

all managers play mind games and i think its good that he istargeting the liverpool manager because all the big teams managers target other teams managers that they expect to be a threat so if sam see’s liverpool as a threat to us in the league things must be going well!

• Toon Chicken

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Hadji – There isn’t a single person on here who consistently spouts as much shite as you.

Turkey is like Columbia??
    Sevilla will trounce Arsenal??
    Luque is good??

So long as BSA is manager of NUFC he can say whatever he likes about whoever he likes, and if you were a proper Toon fan you’d agree.
    So why don’t you do us all a favour and button it!!

• Tom_toon

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Toon Chicken well said, ive been trying to get that through his thick skull for a while. Hes one of those types who just looks at a team sheet and the names of players and says they were good so they are still good. That team must win. I dont think he has watched a football game.

• Hadji

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:59 PM

ToonChick…Why would i agree to something which i don’t think its right.If Benitez said that first no matter how many things he won with Liverpool i would back BSA.Like many of you said”Nobody is bigger than the club” which goes the same for BSA.
    You see Chick the difference between me and you is huge.I have the guts to say what i think about anything.What you’re saying is just ”spitting in the wind”and some bull shit like that.
    When we signed BSA i was the happiest person in the world but as much as i’m positive i can be that negative aswell.I’m very balanced about these things.
    And yes,Luque is good and he will always be good for me,he just made the biggest mistake of his career by joining a club who didn’t know how to use him properly.Yes…he was injured but so was anyone else:Owen,Duff,Dyer but yeah who gives a f–k about Luque.You know why Newcastle never won anything in 38 years…because of some garbage fans like you and Tom Toon who agree for anything as long as that anything is Newcastle’s manager.
    So in near future i would like you to avoid replying to my comments.
    TomyLoony……..As for you my f–k face,about not watching a football match.I don’t watch just EPL,
    During the weekend we have:3 Epl matches,3 Bundes league matches,3French matches,3spanish,3 Italian,2 brazilian,1 scotish,.And all besides Brazilian and the Scotish matches i watch on regular bases.And non of them is pay per view.So yes…i’ve seen a football match definetly more than you will ever see till the rest of your pathetic life.
    Why don’t you just take your bitch ToonChick and go f–k yourselves.
    You are no match for me,both of ya.I just wanna apologise to the rest of the Normal fans on this site for my bad words.

• iain

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:15 PM

most people are right benitez would of been out of a job had liverpool not won the CL, but this is the key part… HE DID WIN THE CL. with a very average team at the time as well. hes also won a few cups and the spanish league. never mind the finals hes lost. whats sam got to show for his carreer efforts one cup final that he lost to boro.

something Sam will never do is win the cl anyone whos been watching our games recently will tell you that.

Sams opened his gob recently and imo got a few things out of perspective that have badly damaged my opinion of him. ithough those days where gone for nufc when shepared left. but know im not so sure. there are a lot of little things making me doubt whether sam is the right man for us or not.

• Steve c

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:25 PM

If Sam wins something then he can say what he wants but untill then shut the f…. up. Ihave had enough of people like Shepeard and that twat hall bringing this club into disrepute.

• Tom_toon

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Hadji, you just backed up what i thought, you dont have a social life and are a stats man.

• Hadji

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:32 PM

You see TomToon that’s exactly what i feel about you aswell?
    Anything else?

• Hadji

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:34 PM

TomToon…I choose my friends,i don’t hang out with garbage people like you

• Tom_toon

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Justify why you feel that way about me i dont say i watch many football games on a regular basis.

• Hadji

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:03 AM

Why do i need to justify anything to you,you said i havent watched a football match at all.I’m just demanting you,its called self defence.
    Also means i have more knowledge about the game than you cause i believe you only watch Epl.
    Try expanding your knowledge by watching other leagues besides Epl.

• Tom_toon

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:03 AM

I dont think you warrant that belief of me only watching the Epl as for one you dont know me. I generally watch bit and bobs of most major world leagues but i dont proclaim or even watch that many games that you claim to.

• Hadji

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:12 PM

I don’t know you but you don’t know me either.Don’t say things like that next time.We’re not children.