Sam – Was I Mad to Come to Newcastle?

Sam Allardyce is delighted he took the gamble and joined Newcastle United as manager in the summer.

But he has confided that he could have stayed at Bolton Wanderers and have been extremely comfortable in the job.

Sometimes – he confides – he thinks he may have been mad to accept the position that is always a red hot seat – managing Newcastle United 😀

Lets’ see what Sam has to say about it – he so right!

sam-allardyce-2.JPG

Sam Allardyce – took one of the most difficult jobs in football

Sam said today:

“I had the safest job in football at Bolton, the safest manager’s job you could get.”

“When I came to Newcastle it was the most insecure job in the Premier League, based on the number of managers they have sacked in a short period of time.”

Well that certainly was true under former Chairman Freddy Shepherd, but that was because Freddy kept appointing dubious managers – like Graeme Souness, who were mediocre at best, even though they worked their tails off to try to make Newcastle successful. We think (and hope) that will all change under new chairman Chris Mort and new owner Mike Ashley. Certainly, since they have joined the club, Chris Mort in particular has started to put Newcastle’s business in order and he presents a friendly and professional face to the media.

As everyone probably knows, who reads this web-site, we like Chris a lot and think he’s a bit of a business whiz kid for one so young. However, with his family still in North London, it’s not clear to us if he’s our long term chairman or will be in the job until he sorts things out and puts everything in reasonable order. We think not, until his family moves up to Newcastle, which is unlikely at this time.

Sam continued:

“ I have come here to try and change that. But I feel like I am mad sometimes! I could have signed another big long contract but it was my time to challenge myself somewhere else.”“I picked this place – and the size of it and the capabilities of it – and put myself on the line. I have always enjoyed the challenge of bigger places. “

“I have bigger players here than at Bolton and, hopefully, more to come to try and bring success with.”

“At the end of the day I took this job to win something. It has been doom and gloom this week but everywhere is like that. At Bolton, 3,000 people stopped turning up when we lost a game.”

“You don’t get that here but they are all desperate for success. That is the challenge we have to meet, head-on.”

“I took this job to win something because far too many times in this game it’s the downside you feel.”  “You want to get to the point where you have more good weekends than bad. To do that, you have to have the resources – this place has the resources.”

Really good words from Sam and he’s so right that he could have stayed at Bolton and been very safe in that job for years. But that’s not what life’s about. We think it’s about putting yourself on the line as you try to accomplish things – and that’s exactly what Sam has done at Newcastle. He’s made a great start – even with the terrible display on Monday night.

And we are very happy to have Big Sam at Newcastle – especially at this time in the club’s history, when we have new owners, who by their own admission don’t know a lot about football management. But Sam does, and so far his relations with Chairman Chris Mort have been extremely smooth – and dare we say it – successful. Certainly the acquisitions in the summer were all first class.

We think we have the right management in place for a successful season – and then we can go on from there. Getting back into Europe is the first goal – and then after that who knows what we can accomplish – especially when Mike makes some of that money available to Big Sam 😀

Comments Welcome.

• Lamesley Mag

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:51 AM

BSA has the credentials and know-how to succeed, despite Monday’s result/display. He’s started by sorting the defense that has been very poor for years. We need Beye and Enrique bedded in as FBs, allowing Milner and Zog to play either flank, providing width that’s needed to break down stubborn defenses.

Yes; I’m very happy we’ve got BSA as manager. However, he’ll need time, money to buy top players and lady luck….

• ToonKing

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:58 AM

– “The Newcastle managers position is most difficult and will take a special person to bring us silverware.” –

Haha ” Special person” , i juts happen to know that there is one Special person available. 🙂

• Graeme

Sep 22, 2007 at 11:17 AM

BSA has everything it takes to be the most sucessful Manager since Joe Harvey, but lets be honest, its not exactly a difficult challenge. Far too many muppets of the role call of managers failing to achieve at SJP. I just cant see Sam being on that list.

• gordon

Sep 22, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Time And Patience.

• Sinead

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:17 PM

I’m sorry I don’t know why I just don’ t like that man, there’s something not quite right about him, something I don’t know I just can’t put my finger on it. He seems I don’t know kinda fake. Talkiong like he did us a favour like, Christ we get it. You didn’t have to take the job but you did, well done genious.

• Hadji

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:28 PM

BSA you’re not mad but your tactics are.
    And please don’t mention Bolton as your safest job,you wanna be a top manager…get your fat ass in the hot seat and we’ll see what you’re made off.

• Hadji

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:31 PM

If you’re mentioning Bolton,why you don’t mention how much he was paying you.Newcastle made you a top 4 highest earner manager in the Epl.

• Obafan

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Give him the chance to build our team and staff. And he will succeed in bringing Newcastle back in Europe and making St James in a fortress again. Last Monday he took a bit of strange choices for his squad, but everybody makes mistakes so let’s give him the credit.

• AndyW

Sep 22, 2007 at 7:58 PM

Newcastle is a work in progress now. It takes time to build a team and there’s a lot more to it than just putting 11 (or so) talented players together. If that was the case we could all do it.

Most people seem to dislike what Dalglish, Gullitt, Souness and Roeder did at Newcastle but I’m not sure they were there long enough to get anything going. The main reason for their sacking was Freddie Shepherd’s tendency to listen to the fans so we all have some culpability in their failure. In recent times the only people to get any decent time in charge were Keegan and Robson and I think did OK didn’t they?

Hopefully Ashley and Mort are a bit more sensible and Sam will get three years at least, and its up to us to back them not chuck our toys out when we don’t win every game 5 – 0.

• Tripp

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:25 AM

@ gordon
    ‘xactly! Every team in this league faces enormous challenges. The league standard has been a rapidly moving target over the last few years. Each year the bar has been raised. The top 4 have it the easiest. The newly promoted face huge difficulties just trying to attract decent players. We’re fortunate that 2 players were willing to give up champions league play to come to SJP. BSA has done a solid job with recruitment, but it’s going to take time to sort it all out. Personally, I think folks have been a bit euphoric with their predictions. If we finish top half I’ll be happy. Getting back to Europe may still be a distraction that we don’t need. I won’t complain if we get there though. 😉

As annoying as the loss to Derby was, I think it brought people back down to earth. It’s too bad that we lost what should have been 3 easy points, but we need to get our focus (as fans) back.

That said, let’s get a clean sheet tomorrow and make Nobby sorry that he left us for London.

• Aussie geordie

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:20 AM

No away game in the EPL will be easy. They will get easier as our team becomes a more cohesive unit and gains more self belief. We still should have beat Derby there are no excuses but lets give Big Sam some time to turn this team into his. I’m looking foward to having Barton in as we need someone running box to box and giving the forwards time to get a run on.

• John

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:40 AM

Give him the chance again,he could win