Ameobi’s Last season To Prove Himself at Newcastle

We look at how Shola Ameobi is doing right now at the club.

It’s not good as he picked up a groin injury in the first half against Arsenal in Tuesday night’s disappointing defeat.

He also looked out of place in a 4-3-3 formation playing on the left side of the front line. Let’s see what Shola has been saying to the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

shola-ameobi_543604.jpg

Shola Ameobi – last chance saloon for Shola?

Ameobi told the Evening Chronicle.

“I had to come off because I did something to my groin, which doesn’t look good,” “I want to get back in the team and start playing as a regular.”“Injuries keeping me out isn’t good for me, but this is the luck we are having at the moment. It makes it more frustrating that I had almost a season out last year and that I am struggling to get into the team.”

“That’s frustrating. I know what it is like to miss three or four games and then come back in is very difficult.” “I have always said that I need to play this season. I now have to get back, get fully fit and show what I can do.”

“I will see how it goes in the next 48 hours. Maybe I will get some good news if it turns out it isn’t as bad.”

We don’t want to be too hard on Shola because it’s true that he’s had a few small injuries to cope with this season. But once he’s fit again he’s got to start producing and the only way to do that is start scoring goals.

He did that well for Roeder before he had his hip operation at the Steadman–Hawkings clinic last October. But he’s got big competition now for his place and he really does need to show Sam and the fans what he is made of. If we fast forward to next summer then if Shola hasn’t produced by then one option Sam Allardyce has to improve his squad is to let Shola go – and then bring in another top big striker to compete with Viduka. We will also have Andrew Carroll back from his loan stint at Preston North End and if he has improved anything like he has over the last year Andrew will be challenging for a first team start also.

Carroll certainly looked just great in pre-season especially when he was partnered with Oba Martins. They seemed to have good telepathy going between them. Of course Andrew had a tremendous game and goal against Juventus when their world-class goalkeeper Buffon after the game said he thought Carroll was a star of the future. So Sam has many choices awaiting him and Shola may make it too easy for him if he doesn’t produce this season.

Stephen14 has recently posted a Newcastle United Forum Entry to discuss Shola’s future – so feel free to join in the discussion over the next few days on this.

What do you think – is this the last chance saloon for Shola this season – let us know.

Comments always welcome.

• hadrian

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:15 AM

im torn on shola , the lad could turn good , but not as a target man …. there are to many defenders in the prem twice his size and build , he cannot cope as a target man .
    hate the system anyway , hoofing a ball up for some tall guys head , what kind of football is that anyway !! ?

• Toon Chicken

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:16 AM

If Shola’s in the last chance saloon then it must be pretty bloody close to kicking-out time.

• ToonKing

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Ed, you say Shola looked out-of place on the wing. Well i agree, and if i might add, Shola looks out of place in the center, midfield, defense, goally, in fact if we ask Shola where he loves to play and put him there he will look out of place.

He got his chance several times, sorry Shola, man, but you got go go. The lad is not good for the Toon, send him to the Championship, he can be a good player there.

Taxi for Shola, locker for Andy!

• shearyadi

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:55 AM

I think we keep him for a while this season and let them play against lower club.

• gordon

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Out in january 3 years too late.

• apan

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:02 PM

his a good, BACKUP player…..0.15 goals stats for a striker is not good

• Bobby Ollox

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:22 PM

I could forgive him his poor goal return, but what really gets on my tits is the number of stupid pointless avoidable fouls, handballs and offsides he gets stuck with.
    A couple of seasons of 20+ goals, and then he has got the right to try it on like that. Until then he just comes across as a petulant schoolboy who is copying what he has seen on Match of the Day.
    He’s had his chance…..

• andyc290

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Shola Ameobi is in now way good enough to warrant a place in the squad at Newcastle United. Actions speak louder than words and his laid back, relaxed attitude on the pitch undermines his claims that he is desperate to play for us. He isnt physically or mentally good enough and i really begrudge using up my time and money to go and watch him, hes got the same playing style as Asprilla but with none of the skill or class. He has had a handful of good games in his whole time at the club and dont forget he has worked with some top managers and players. He is a joke and persevering with players of his standard is surely not in the long term plans of the new manager and chairman. I for one will be celebrating if we ever manage to get rid of him.

• andyc290

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:33 PM

and another thing i saw him on footballers cribs and if your reading this Shola you wanna spend more time worrying about your performances and less time worrying about your ‘this coffee table is the only one like this in the world, i had it specially made’ coffe table. You retard!

• Dan

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:45 PM

spot on randyc290, if he was a race horse he would have been put down a long time ago…

• Arthur Prince

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Unfortunately too late now with Andy Carroll coming back from Preston as back up to Mark Viduka . Time to move on if Shola wants regular football . Shame but despite being Loyal the fact that he is just not good enough in the increasingly tough EPL .

• andyc290

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:48 PM

and by the way I am not Andy Carroll incase anyone thought that was why i wanted rid of him.

• Rich

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:54 PM

haha i liked that one andy!! Sell Shola and get a suitable replacement, Id even rather have Carlton Cole he caused us some problems on Saturday, similair physique as Shola , puts himself about and wouldnt cost a fortune, a decent fourth striker

• Willowtoon

Sep 27, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Shola, like bramble is part of the past. Not the future. If we were in Europe or had had the finances sorted this summer then he would have gone.

Sam only kept him as he thought either Michael or Oba may go before the window closed.

He has had many chances and had years to learn from the master in a certain Mr Shearer yet did not develop.

This regime is far more ruthless and forward thinking so don’t worry guys, come january he will be allowed to leave if anyone comes in for him. If not he will not get a renewed contract.

• JJ

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Too slow to be a poacher, too eak to be a target man, poor finisher, poor at heading, no first touch…it is very hard to see what potential anyone ever saw besides the fact that he is a 6’2 Nigerian. I would much rather we kept Antoine Sibeieski as a backup striker for Viduka.
    If onyl shear was still 27 : ).

• col

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:01 PM

agree with most…shola to go…..defoe to arrive..jan sales……it’s not like we cant afford defoe !!

• Steve

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:04 PM

@rich – Carlton Cole !! are you having a laugh – whats the point of getting rid of one duffer (sorry shola) and replacing him with another, C. Coles goals ratio is only half that of ameobis!!

• Steve

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:08 PM

@col – no chance – defoes a 4 foot two midget so he’d be fighting to play alongside Viduka with Owen and Martins, Why dont we just buy Dean Ashton, he’d be perfect – I doubt the fat aussie will manage to play 25 games this season

• Rich

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Steve – I dont think carlton Cole is great either, just that he is better as Ameobi and would be ok as a backup. Big sam wont go for Defoe hel want another big target man to compete with Viduka, Dean Ashton would be good, Crouch decent option also.

• Craig Allen

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Shola’s a decent person. A true gentleman. He should look for a job in marketing and promotions at NUFC to do some positive PR – he has good manners and shown his commitment to our cause before by playing through pain. All in a ll, a good employee to have – loyal and good mannered.

Hope things pan out for you Shola. Pity about that striker deal though. There are always other careers to pursue.

Best of luck.

• George

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:50 PM

After his display against Derby, i say let him go. He was totally useless.
    Les Ferdinand in his after match comments called him a disgrace saying ” for such a big strong bloke he does not put himself about”. Totally agree this man is constantly being asked for a chance to prove himself, but when he gets the chance he blows it.
    People used to condem Andy Cole saying he only scores 1 in 7 chances. What is Sholas ratio, about 1 in 12.
    He says he is a proud geordie, dont make me laff. Does he not realise that as a geordie you have to prove your affection for the team, but if you dont like all other players the fans will turn against you, being a geordie will not help. Stop being a lazy B*****d will help, and score goals.

• Hammy

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:28 PM

I used to read Roy of the Rovers (now no taking the piss chaps) and there was a story about a kid called Billy who had these magical football boots…..
    anyway when he wore them he was like Gazza in his prime and when he didn’t wear them he was totally crap….
    Anyway Shola reminds me of Billy……the only snag is Shola does not have any magic boots.
    Billys Boots……ah those were the days….

• simen

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:55 PM

its not just that he doesnt score goals, but he showes no willingness to contribute, just jogs after passes and have zero temperament! you need action and temper in football, but shola doesnt have that. sometimes it looks like he dont care about winning. i have kept faith in him for a long time, but i think his chance has probably gone. give him till the end of the season, if hes not injuried all year.

• Doctapaul

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Am I the only one who still bellieves Shola deserves a chance/ I know he’s been around a while and been in and out and all the rest AND…

I’m thinking of his good run prior to 2004. 1 goal in 2 games undedr Roeder for half a season – some prolific performances in Europe, none better than leading the line against Barca at the Nou Camp.

I’m not trying to persuade any of the a(nti)meobies to change their minds. I”m asking for patience.

• Craig Allen

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:58 PM

I used to read that too. It was the first time I saw the outside of the foot being used to curl in a penalty and have the keeper going the wrong way

I tried that in a game the next day and blasted straight to the keeper as I ended up toe-ing it lol ah .. those were the days …

• StevieA

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:31 PM

I have always liked Shola but we should have sent him out on loan when he was 21/22 and he would have been a far better player for it.

The best season he had for us he scored quite a few goals in europe and he looked a good player. I just think he has had too many injuries and needs a move to regain his best form. It’s sad because you want him to do well but I just don’t think he is a european class forward which we need.

We either need someone like Dean Ashton or dare I say it Heskey. Or perhaps a foreign international player with similar height, build, and control. Not many of those players around but I really think we need someone else as good as those players to come in when Viduka isn’t playing. Ideally he would be quick too but big players rarely are.

Maybe we should have went for Kanu?

• Steve

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:41 PM

@doctapaul – unfortunately Sholas worse than useless in a 4-3-3 formation where he’s being asked to play as a left sided forward – I agree that he’s a good backup but only if BSA changes his formation to 4-4-2
    @everyone else – lets be fair to Shola – midfield at Bolton and Arsenal were a disgrace they created absolutely jack for the forwards – I agree Shola did nowt but he can’t take all the blame single handedly (remember Englands No1 striker did jack all until he was taken off) – Viduka did absolutely nowt until he scored against the Boro – thats just how it is with strikers.
    Smith, Geremi and Butt have created f@ck all this season between them and they have hardly covered themselves in holding defensive duties – running round like a headless chicken showing commitment – yup I can def do that for 30k a week, they’re meant to be paid to actually play football not be a useless tw@t

rant over

• Steve

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:41 PM

grrr I was so angry I typed Bolton instead of Derby $%£@:££

• StevieA

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:48 PM

To be fair to Geremi & Smith they both need games to regain form I think.

Butt I just don’t see why we are playing him. I am sure the midfield will perform much better with Barton in the side. I expect us to win most of our home games and struggle away this season. We can still do well though.

• geordie_jordan

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:54 AM

like the song goes at the last chance saloon…. “closing time, gather up your jackets and let you out into the world” bye bye shola!!!!

• Doctapaul

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:18 AM

I’m gonna respectfully suggest that all this focus and energy on Shola or any of our strikers is of secondary importance.

No 1, to me, is midfield. I didn’t manage to get tix to see the Bolton game. The only decent football I’ve seen all season is the last 20 minutes against West Ham.

During this period, Smith played a subtle and crucial part in crafting a superb team effort goal. Zog was fantastic and Geremi/Butt took control of centre.

When we play like this, I believe, any fit and confident striker will score.

• David M

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:19 PM

We’ll never get Ashton now. Curbishley realises his value and WHU won’y let him go anywhere. That idiot Roeder should have gon efor him when he was first available fron Norwich. As for ‘Ameobi the pillar of salt’ for God’s sake get rid of him! Utterly useless. a championship player at best. I’ve never been able to understand why so many managers persisted with him for so long when 90% of fans realised he was shite from the get go!