How Newcastle Fans Can Help Gateshead FC

As we all know Gateshead used to be a Football League side in the old 4th Division.

They were voted out of the league in 1960 as part of the old voting system. I remember that well and was really disappointed at the time as a teenager.

Well Gateshead are on the way back and have a strategy to get back in the Football League within 5 years – it sure seems exciting to us – read on.

heedarmyblogbadge.gif

Gateshead Blog Heed Army supporting Gateshead Football Club’s ambitious plans

Gateshead is very much in the shadow of their Tyneside neighbors Newcastle United but there has never been any animosity between the two clubs. In fact the opposite has been true and there has been a warm relationship between the clubs. Newcastle are north of the River Tyne and Gateshead just across from us in County Durham. Many Gateshead fans are Newcastle United fans and support Gateshead while Newcastle are away, this is how Gateshead’s attendance at home games can be 454 one game and 250 at the next.

Current Chairman Graham Wood and Gateshead Fan since the 1950’s has a dream of returning his boy hood team back to the football league and the goal is within the next 5 years. Also the Chairman hope to have a Football ground built for Gateshead Football club by within 3 years. Gateshead’s vice chairman is Graham Wood who was vice chairman at Sunderland AFC and was the project leader on Sunderland’s Stadium of light, so he knows what he’s doing.

Some former Newcastle players have joined Gateshead and from all accounts are doing really well there. Jamie McClen has been great for them and other former Newcastle Reserve players, Craig Baxter and Phil Cave are also at the club. In fact Gateshead have just signed Kris Gate and he is bedding in across the river. Star Players for Gateshead are Davie Southern who was last season’s UniBond League top scorer with 31 goals for Gateshead. Steve Bowey is captain and in his second stint with Gateshead after playing for Scottish Side Queen of the South and Conference side.

And of course our very own Andrew Carroll hails from Gatehead.

How do I know all this?

Because there is new web-site created by David Gaddess and he asked if it was OK for our Newcastle United Blog to link to David’s Gateshead blog – which is called The Heed Army

So we have a link now to this Gateshead Blog which was started a year ago by David. We exchanged notes yesterday and it turns out that David is doing the site as a labor of love, which is why we started the Newcastle blog in April. By the way – don’t believe there’s lot of money in this – if I did it for the money I’d end this blog tomorrow – period.

Seems to us having looked over David’s great site that his blog replicates closely that of NUFC.COM blog. They are both close to their clubs and report all kinds of useful information about the club. Every club needs one of these blogs that has reports on youth games and reserve games and all kinds of good useful information in general on the club.. We’ve always thought NUFC.COM was excellent and does a great job for Geordie fans. Seems to us that David is doing a similar thing for Gateshead, which is excellent!

Gateshead are managed by former Millwall, Preston North End and Newcastle player Ian Bogie. David says Ian has installed a great work ethic with the players and the Gateshead team battle for every ball and have flair with the ball. Hey – that’s what Newcastle need – flair. Gateshead’s form of late has been great and home crowds have trebled in the last 6 months from 130 average to 454 last week. David says there’s lots of singing and chanting at thr games and Gateshead shirts (which we remember as white – like Bolton’s strip) are a real buzz. Nearly all fans wear the Gateshead shirt at home games now. Here’s the strips below with their really keen and loyal supporters.

gatehead-strip.jpg

How are they actually doing in the Unibond Premier League they’re top.

UNIBOND PREMIER LEAGUE TABLE
	                P  W  D  L  GF  GA  GD Pts
1 Gateshead 		8  7  1  0  26  8  +18 22
2 Witton Albion 	9  7  1  1  17  2  +15 22
3 Guiseley 	       10  6  3  1  22  9  +13 21
4 Fleetwood Town 	8  6  0  2  17 11  +6  18
5 Matlock Town 		9  5  2  2  13  9  +4  17
6 Eastwood Town 	9  5  1  3  12 10  +2  16
7 Ossett Town 	       10  4  2  4  11  9  +2  14
8 Lincoln United       10  4  2  4  13 15  -2  14
9 Marine    	       10  4  1  5  15 15   0  13
10 Ashton United 	9  3  3  3  17 14  +3  12

Here are some interesting sites on Gateshead FC

Their FA Cup run in 1952 where they reached the 6th round before succombing to Bolton but beating Liverpool along the way

All kinds of good information on Gateshead FC – Wikipedia

Plans for the New Gateshead Stadium

The offical Gateshead FC web site

We’ll be following Gatehead very closely from now on – that’s for sure.

Comments very welcome.

• big pea ov the weab

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:51 AM

gateshead being great …..hmmmm am not so sure about that 1 like but wish them all the best anyway wouldent it b great if they done a wimbldon n come up to the dizzying heights of the premiership

• Shaun Smith

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:49 AM

Howay Gateshead, HEEDARMY!!!

• evil dick

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Being from gateshead originally myself I always check their results. I would love to see them back in the football league. I went to a few games when I was a kid, also used to watch the toon reserves at gateshead stadium.

Now I have to do with the aussie A-league which is about the same standard as unibond haha!

Hopefully this link will get them some more support Ed.

• hadrian

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:44 PM

surely they should be a feeder club for the toon , great tobe able to send some of young lads over there for experience and to help their plight .

love to see them back in the league for this reason alone .

• Ed Harrison

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:22 PM

hadrian – you know that did pass through my mind as I wrote the article – and Newcastle could help Gatehead financially too. But may not be the right league for youngsters to develop in – it will be extremely tough physically.
    We should have a feeder club here in US also – buy DC United or some club like that and have them play in black and white stripes – great way to bring in good players from US – there’s going to be a lot more – and also have NUFC better known in USA. Buy DC United right now or some other club – bet they wouldn’t cost much at all – but it should all be part of an overall development strategy or plan by the club.

• Alan Riley

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Ed – you & I must be of a similar age (but we won’t say that too loudly) as I too remember that terrible day when theyfailed to gain re-election. This was a particular blow for me as the first professional game I saw live was when my Uncle Jim took me to Redheugh Park to see Gateshead play (I think the opposition were Southport). I have kept an eye on their progress since – though not as closely as I ought to. From time-to-time, I have had a fantasy about making my millions, buying Gateshead, & leading them to the Premiership. It’s nice to see somebody trying to do what I’ve just dreamt about (well, I haven’t made my millions yet!) & I wish them the best of luck. Thanks for the link. I shall follow the Heed Blog with interest – now where can you buy that shirt???

• Ed Harrison

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:49 AM

Alan – we think alike too. One of the things that went thru my head was how much they would cost. Very little a year or too back – but with their plans etc probably more now. Would be great owning a club just over the Tyne from Newcastle – first thing I would have done is gone to see Mort to see if we could forge some link for a win-win business proposition with Newcastle United.
    By the way I’ve talked to David again – who runs the site – and I’ll be doing an article on Gateahead once a week – on Mondays to chart their progress.

• Ed Harrison

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Alan – I’ll find out where you can buy the shirt and send you an email on it or ask David Gaddess if he can do it.

• Ed Harrison

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:15 PM

Gateshead shirts can purchased through this site – info@gateshead-fc.com

• Shaun Smith

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:46 PM

A lot of positive support and some nice comments, come along to the Stadium when Newcastle aren’t playing, like what I do, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it and be made most welcome.