Emre – I’m Ready For Everton Game

As we reported earlier today Emre, Faye and Enrique all had full games last night playing for the reserves at Manchester City last night . They will all be that much better for it. Joey Barton also had a good 45 minutes last night and seemed just raring to go in this morning’s interview.

Emre talked to Newcastle World TV today and made it clear he wants to be in the first team and is only too willing to fight for his place. Let’s see what Emre had to say – he comes across very positively.

emre-5641.jpg

Emre hair combed and ready to go

Emre told Newcastle World TV today:

“My aim is to get in the first team.” “It has been a difficult four months for me because we have had a lot of good new players here who have been transferred to the club.”

“I will work very hard in training and respect everyone. Everyone wants to play but only 11 can get on the pitch at one time.” “I respect all of the players and the manager but I will do my best to win a place in the team.”

Emre has been hit by injury during his 2 years at the club and has just 3 appearances for Newcastle and 2 for Turkey so far this season. But of course the last time he played for Turkey he was taken off injured to the great annoyance of Big Sam.

Emre was wrongly reported to be seeking a move to back to Turkey during the last international break and gestured towards the press box when he was brought out of the game. He got into a little bit of trouble for that, but we all know how football journalists manufacture stories – or tell lies is a more down to earth way of saying it.

It’s good that our players are loyal to the club and it seems like Emre likes it at Newcastle. We’d certainly like to see him have more games though. Newcastle have played around 116 games in the last 2 seasons while Emre has been at the club but Emre has appeared on only about half of them through injury. He is ready to play for Turkey in the next international break as Turkey face Moldova and Greece in qualifiers in the European Championships. Sam will be on tenterhooks again hoping the 15 or so Newcastle players who will be away will return uninjured.

Emre added:

“In terms of match fitness I have played two games with Turkey and three games here at Newcastle.” “Maybe two or three more games and I will be perfect. Training is good but games are different in terms of fitness.”

“I want to play, all players want to play.” “In the last two years I played over 65 games and I want this year to be the same.” “I will try everything to be fit for Newcastle.”

“I feel OK. Myself, Jose Enrique and Abdoulaye Faye have not played much in the last few weeks.” “For us last night was a good game. I have two days off and then I will be ready for the Everton game.”

That 65 game he’s appeared in is misleading because Newcastle had so many games in Europe over the last two season. But we do see that Emre just wants to play more. We’d like to see him get a decent outing against Everton, even if he doesn’t start, so we can see what he can add to the team in terms of creativity.

What do you think – comments very welcome.

• Obafan

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:43 PM

I hope he starts on Sunday, we need him very bad to create chances for our strikers. If there is someone in midfield who can open defences then it is Emre (and Barton), so he defenitely should start.

Or is BS going to give another chance to Geremi and Butt in the center and Smith on the wing. If he does I think the worst (0-2 loss), cause it just doesn’t fit in that way.

Given
    Beye – Roz – Faye – Enrique
    Geremi (best season was at this positon at Boro, so give him a chance overthere) – Butt – Emre – N’Zogbia
    Viduka – Martins

Subs: Harper – Taylor – Smith – …

• Rich

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:39 PM

No milner? thatd be a mistake, defo want emre in the centre tho, butts useless stick him on the bench, id have geremi n emre in the centre, we badly need him to create us some chances and play some NICE football

• leo

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:48 PM

yeah geremi and emre in the middle milner and n’zogbia on the wings. if we can nick a goal and its late on we can take milner off and put faye in dm position

• Obafan

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:08 PM

@Rich: forgot Milner; he can sit on the bench, cause he is too rude in his actions. He can be great, but most of the time his actions leads to nothing. Dribbling with his head in the ground and then his crosses are most of the time poor. So if we need some attacking game near the end of the 90 minutes, then bring him on and perhaps he will be lucky and get a good cross.

IMO he is an overratedplayer.

• Lamesley Mag

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:21 PM

Hoping BSA starts with Emre in midfield in place of either Gerami or Butt.

Enrique should also start against Everton allowing Zog to play on the wing. Smith will have to make way although see him coming on for Viduka after an hour.

Looking forward to seeing Barton in team as his box to box style will improve our team!

• Joe

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:47 PM

It’s nice to be on here and have toon fans praising Emre rather than slagging him off to the ground! IMO he’s been one of our best players since his arrival and if he had been playing with decent strikers we would have been far more effective.

I would definately start him against Everton, I really didn’t understand why he wasn’t brought on til 88th min against Man City, that was embarrassing! My team to face Everton:

Given; Beye, Roz, Cacapa, Enrique; Milner, Geremi, Emre, Zog; Martins, Duke.

I only hope Everton are knackered after tomorrow nights game otherwise we will be in for one of the toughest games so far this season. Our form against them in recent seasons has not been great – neither have the performances – so we will need to be at our best to get the 3.

I’m gonna go for 2-1 us, but that would mean Beye picking up the pace a bit. I’ve said before how he looked out of shape against Man City so I wanna see a performance from him.

• Bill F

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:08 PM

Sorry Ed, Just couldn’t resist a comment, did you mean tenter hooks? The vision of Sam being hung up by velvet lined hooks is just a little surreal. As for the team I also look forward to seeing Barton vieing for a place and bringing a bit of fire into the midfield, don’t think it will be this weekend though.

• Toon Chicken

Oct 3, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Joe – Emre has been one of our best players since his arrival?

Which NUFC have you been watching – obviously not the same one as me?

Bar a couple of great goals he’s done close to bugger all IMO.

From where i’m sat all he ever seems to is sit in the treatment room eating mars bars, getting slowly fatter, before declaring himself and trotting off to Turkey to play a meaningless game and then coming back injured again!

• Graham

Oct 3, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Apart from the West Ham game (I was on holiday but even then i here that 3-1 is more than we deserved) we have been pitiful in the centre of midfield recently (Derby & Man City). We must bring Emre in for either Butt or Geremi and play with 2 out and out wingers.

With Everton playing this week and NUFC not – they may well be a few tired scouse legs towards the end – Milner and Nzogbia should stay as wid as possible and get some decent crosses in for Martins & Smith (or Viduka)

• Ed Harrison

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Bill F – thanks for the comment – you know I’ve used that term a lot and never really knew it’s origin. I’ve changed it in the piece and stand corrected – and alittle wiser 😀

The following is what I learnt today:

Tenterhooks

It comes from one of the processes of making woollen cloth. After it had been woven, the cloth still contained oil from the fleece, mixed with dirt. It was cleaned in a fulling mill, but then it had to be dried carefully or it would shrink and crease. So the lengths of wet cloth were stretched on wooden frames, and left out in the open for some time. This allowed them to dry and straightened their weave. These frames were the tenters, and the tenter hooks were the metal hooks used to fix the cloth to the frame. At one time, it would have been common in manufacturing areas to see fields full of these frames (older English maps sometimes marked an area as a tenter-field). So it was not a huge leap of the imagination to think of somebody on tenterhooks as being in an state of anxious suspense, stretched like the cloth on the tenter. The tenters have gone, but the meaning has survived.

Tenter comes from the Latin tendere, to stretch, via a French intermediate. The word has been in the language since the fourteenth century, and on tenters soon after became a phrase meaning painful anxiety. The exact phrase on tenterhooks seems first to have been used by Tobias Smollett in Roderick Random in 1748.

• Bill F

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:28 PM

If you are looking for workrate and endevour I would put Smith ahead of Butt and Emre, I find it strange that no one seems to be including him any of their selections. The biggest question mark against Emre as far as I am concerned is, is he really committed to the team or is he looking to be on show for the January sales? The only real inadequency with him I think has been his finishing other than that he has been more plus than minus.

• Bill F

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Thanks Ed, I didn’t know all of that, isn’t it amazing what you can learn from a blog. I can see a lot of toon fans impressing their mates down the Bigg Market (and further afield) with this gem.

• Tom_Toon

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:49 PM

I dont think he wants to leave but even if he does it good for us to play him as:
    1. he is a good player
    2. if he performs well we will get more for him in the transfer market

• Bill F

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Tom-Toon, yep I would agree with these sentiments.

• apan

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:21 PM

emre is our own gattuso, they even look alike, except his not a fighters his our creative player

• ToonKing

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:58 PM

pls pls pls Sam put Emre is the starting eleven against Everton!!!!

Can’t wait to see the lad play!!!

Roll on Everton.

• azza jones

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:09 PM

I think we need to try something different. Im tired of Smith in midfield, he should be backup for viduka. I would play Geremi & Emre in the middle, Milner & Zog on the wings! I bet smith starts anyway, BS is starting to look like he always picks his favourites! Im honestly not so sure bout his appointment anymore????????

• SingKing

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:22 AM

Beyond me why anyone would see Emre as our creative saviour. If Emre plays Saturday we will be overun. Lets go back to warm up matches team that did so well with Zoggy in mid role.

• apan

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:57 AM

Did anyone watched hoq Albert Luque performed at Ajax few days back? He scored 2 goals and omg he was fitter than ever, fast paced, excellent volley & left foot, makes me regret that we sold him on a bargain and only after his back on his and fit feet we sold him, ed u should do some article about him at ajax

• Hadji

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:35 AM

The way i see it,Luque’s transfer was a huge mistake by Newcastle considering the excelent pre season from him.In my opinion he should have stayed and we should have bought a pure right winger for 6 mill instead Alan Smith.
    I’m only wondering,how many talents will Newcastle sell on cheap before they realize what kind of huge mistakes they’re making.
    Andy Cole,Luque,Bellamy,Jenas,Robert,Parker and even Viana.

• Ed Harrison

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Hadji – after watching the City game last weekend they had lots of players with great skill – like Luque. He was the type of player that Newcastle were missing – skillful players. He’s scoring at Ajax but was injured last weekend after scoring 2.

• Joe

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:08 PM

@Toon Chicken

Obviously when he was in the treatment room he wasn’t one of our best but when playing he was.. And I’ve been watching the same games as you!

None of our players have been particularly brilliant in the last two seasons – 13th last season remember? But Emre – when playing – has been very good. His seeking passes are excellent and as I put above – if we had a striker who did better with his passes we would have scored some vital goals.

At the end of the day a playmaker can only do so much, it’s the striker who needs to put the ball in the back of the net!