Joey – Newcastle Will Be Top 5

Interesting comments today with Joey Barton comparing Newcastle United and Manchester City and of course his current club Newcastle comes out on top.

Joey believes Newcastle can be as big as they want to be and predicts they will be the club who will make the top 4 into the top 5. Interesting comments after Saturdays game with City when City, on the day, looked like they were the better side and on their way to future glory.

Joey’s as positive as ever and we’ll look at what he says.

joey-barton102.jpg

Joey Barton – Newcastle can be as big as they want to be

Joey talked last night about Newcastle United and Manchester City:

“It is important that the City fans don’t get too carried away with a couple of results,” “Hopefully, we’ll get the kind of investment they got at Manchester City and get a similar result.”

“I think Newcastle can be as big as they want to be. No disrespect to City but, in Manchester, Manchester United will always be top dog. As much as they want to believe it can change, it is not going to.”

“The big thing about Newcastle is there is only Newcastle in Newcastle. Newcastle could be a big side and turn it from a big four into a big five.”

When talking about football clubs “big” is not a good word to use and it’s hard to define what it means. Newcastle are a big club now because they have money, good players and a great stadium, which may even get better within a few years.

Those that disparage Newcastle say we can’t be a big club because we haven’t won anything for almost 40 years so the quicker we end that drought the better because we want to to be the team to change the big four to the big five, as Joey says.

We hope Joey will improve his fitness over the next couple of weeks so that he is available for our Tottenham home game on 22nd October. As Sam mentioned recently we do need our injured players back as quickly as possible. Of course Joey would liked to have been considered for this Sunday’s game against Everton, but Big Sam was having none of it. However, missing just one more game is not too bad and it will be great if Joey is fully back in the fold withing 3 weeks.

Joey discussed the differences with his boss over his comeback date:

“We have different ideas on when I’m fit because I just can’t wait to get back playing,” . “But I understand he doesn’t want to take any risks and my next game will probably be for the reserves against Wigan next Monday. “After that we’ve got two weeks when I can get some good work done on the training ground during the international break.”

“But it was great to get back out there against Man City and get 45 minutes under my belt. The foot is still a little bit sore but the surgeon has said that would be the case when I first started playing again.” “Hopefully, when I do come back I’ll bring some goals to the team and I just can’t wait.”

Joey Barton back in the fold is one of the things Newcastle need to push on from their last 3 disappointing defeats. A win is a win and will lift the atmosphere on Tyneside hugely if we can defeat Everton on Sunday. Everton play Metalist Kharkiv today of the Ukraine in the UEFA Cup. They tied the first leg 1-1 at home, so things are on a knife’s edge right now and it may be difficult for Everton. Hopefully they’ll get a tough game and be tired for Sunday. 😀 The first 10 minutes of the game will be important because we would hope to catch Everton cold, but we’ll just have to wait and see on that one.

• Hadji

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:21 AM

With couple of quality transfers in January i believe it could be possible.Just an example of last season in the Bundes league when after 10 games Stutgart was 12th or 13th and they had an amazing winning streak which brought them the title.
    Newcastle should find their winning 11 asap cause they don’t need to rotate their players like Liverpool does cause they have all the time in the world to prepare their players for the next game considering that we are not in the CL,Uefa Cup and Carling cup.
    Cheers from Tampa Florida
    I have no idea what happened with the Man City game,all i know is that we scored first.

• Lamesley Mag

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:47 AM

Barton’s return from injury will be like a new signing for Newcastle provided he doesn’t get time………

Newcastle United under KK and SBR where a top-4 side but Souness and Shepherd have taken us back 10 years, so will take time to rebuild and regain a place with the elite!

• lee

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Big Sam has got his priority right by focusing on the premiership… and not Europe. Like Arsene Wenger also said a few days ago, the Champions League is a little overrated as it can be won by teams who are brilliant on their days but not good enough to win their domestic leagues (e.g. Liverpool). I agree with Wenger… the true test of a football club and a manager is domestic success, and because of this we are fortunate to have a gaffer who has the right priority, Big Sam. Unlike him, Liverpool under Benitez seems focused on European glory… could be the reason why Benitez keeps rotating his players especially when domestic and European fixtures clash in the same week. Because of this, it is unlikely Liverpool will ever win the Premiership if they keep resting their most important player this season, Fernando Torres. For us, we have a very good chance of breaking into the top 4 at season-end if Benitez keeps his rotation policy, if Chelsea cannot settle down, and if we can get Michael Owen fit and playing as soon as possible. Anything else, will see us at best getting a top 6 position by May 2008. Man City is doing well now, but is is far too early in the season to predict they will finish even top 10… just look at Wigan, Portsmouth and Everton in previous seasons.

• Dingo

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:33 AM

I disagree about Man City. They have bought in some real class over the break and they have really gelled as a team. Sven is sending 15 of the squad for English lessons to get them all on the same page, once this has happened then they will be awesome… I think a top 6 for city. Can we finish above them… only time will tell. We need Emre and Barton in midfield and dare I say it… we could really benefit from having Duff back, unless hes lost his spark. I ahve spent 31 yrs following the toon and my hopes have been raised and lowered over the seasons as frequently as a lasses knickers in the big market. This season is no different.

• leo

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:35 AM

dont get too ahead of ourselves though, top 4 and even top 6 is well away at the moment, big sam is the man to take us further

• Jerry

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:56 AM

I dont see why top 4 should be well away though. Didn’t Sir Bobby take us from 13th straight to 4th in 1 season? Arsene Wenger took Arsenal from 13th to 3rd in his first season? and I could go on and on how Managers have ACHIEVED in 1 season. Am not very happy being asked to wait 5 years for whatever God knows what.

• Neil A H

Oct 4, 2007 at 11:39 AM

Man City is a real good side who are playing really well together. Unless we get some real class in January I think a top six finish should be our goal. I also see that Barton took a jab at City in this same interview by intimating that he was one of the main reasons they survived relegation last season. I was hoping Barton would show more maturity but I guess he’s not there yet.

• Macas

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Top 4 finish my arse. Has anyone here actually seen us play this sesason?

• Jerry

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Allardyce worries me sometimes with his comments.

On Emre he said SOMETIMES we need creativity in our midfield, and then after the loss to Man City he again said our midfield was too adventurous!

If his philosophy is to play football without creativity, expanse or just nicking wins from corners and set pieces then am afraid NUFC is doomed again.

• Joe

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:16 PM

We haven’t been playing well enough this season I’m afraid! 7th is a realistic target but if you look at the likes of Everton, Man City, Blackburn, West Ham etc. There are too many teams that have been playing better than us so far! But I hope that changes – we got two difficult games in Toffees and Spurs coming up so if we get 6 from that from who knows?

But judging on performances so far 7th is our best, most realistic target.

• Phil

Oct 10, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Sorry chaps on the display at Man City, your midfield was non-existant, the only plus was a wonderful take by Martins, after that you were taught a serious lesson in the midfield by Petrov, Elano, Hamann, Mpenza and Johnson. Even our backs were a dominant force going forward in the breaks from Dunne and Richards. A top half finish is where you will end up, but you need to be more creative than the long ball up front and hope Martins or Owen(when fit) latches on to it.

• Doctapaul

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Phil,

I was flying over the atlantic during the Man City game so (fottunately) I missed it and haven’t bothered to watch the Sky+ recording maybe I should. From the highlights I thought Man City (in particular Elano and Petrov) were superbly entertaining.

“I would just love it” if you ended up above Man Utd (and behind the Toon of course but unlikely this year). I hope you do break into the Top 4 this season. Because if you can then so can we.

Good luck!!!