Newcastle United Blog – Team Against Everton – VOTE!

Here is our poll for the Newcastle team our readers would like to see Sam field against Everton on Sunday, in a most important game for Newcastle.

A defeat is unthinkable, but we can get a good win and get Newcastle back on track in the league.

Since Everton are on 13 points and Newcastle’s on 11 points we will move above them in the league with a win.

nufc-crest.png everton-fc_crest.png

Everton beat FC Metalist Kharkiv last night in the Ukraine 3-2 so won the tie 4-3 on aggregate. Anichebe scored the winner after 88 minutes.

But we’re glad Everton made it through to the next round. Here’s the Everton team last night so we know who played.

Everton: Howard, Neville, Yobo, Stubbs, Lescott, Pienaar, Jagielka (Anichebe 62), Osman, Arteta, McFadden (Hibbert 90), Yakubu (Baines 76).
Subs Not Used: Wessels, Nuno Valente, Carsley, Jutkiewicz.

We’ll have two polls – one is to select one of five teams from the following, and the other is to select between Given and Harper for goalkeeper. We’ve included Given in each of the teams and if Harper wins the poll he’ll be in our team for Sunday. We’ll not worry about the subs but once the team is selected the subs that will be used should be fairly obvious. Of course there are multiple different combinations of teams – but just select from the following 5 the team you think is the best team for Sunday.

Here are the teams we have selected from all the comments we’ve recieved. Cacapa was said yesterday to be available, so we have included him in some of the teams.

Assume a 4-4-2 formation.

Team 1:

Beye Taylor Rozehnal N’Zogbia

Smith Emre Faye Milner

Martins Viduka

Comments always welcome.

• Craig Allen

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:45 AM

I like Team 1 except I’d have Faye instead of Butt.

• Obafan

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:45 AM

I vote Team 1; perfect team; just 1 thing I would change Geremi in the place of Milner (I dont have it with Milner, for me he is way overrated; too many crosses are bad and his dribbling is always with his head in the ground; never does anything easy, always searching the most dificult option. I admire his attitude though).

2 (Emre and Martins) -0

• toonoholic

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:46 AM

i have a bad feeling we are going to go with the butt – geremi – smith midfield again . sam talks about rotation policy . i see geremi smith and butt playing day in day out !

• Obafan

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:47 AM

@ Craig
    I agree; let’s give Faye also a chance in central midfield behind Emre.

• paul p

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:52 AM

i think we should go with team 1. we need a bit of creativity in midfield and we do not have it with geremi and butt. emre is the one who can pass a ball out of the bunch. if capaca does not make it, i would play faye centre half with roz. that would leave a bench of smith, harper, geremi. Would it be any surprise to anyone to see michael owen and joey barton on the bench even thoug sam is playing it down.

• Toon Chicken

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Team 2 with Geremi instead of Butt. Then bring Emre on in the second half depending on how we’re doing.
    Also like to see Smith given a chance upfront at some point – so maybe replace Viduka in the last 20 mins.
    Whatever team we play, someone has to do a job on Arteta, he’s even better than Elano IMO and he destroyed us last week.
    I reckon we have a good chance though – Mentalist gave Evo a right game last night – so they should be feeling it still come Sunday.

• Tom Cairns

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:07 PM

I went for team 1, although i would replace butt with either geremi or faye. Probably Geremi cause he is our captain, Faye ive never seen properly so would be interested to see him have a run out. Mainly though id go for anyone but Butt, Ive never thought he’s been good, last season he looked okay but thats just cause the whole team played rubbish. He gives away too many free kicks and has no itention ever to pass the ball forward and he slows up play way too much.

• Alex Brett

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:09 PM

I agree play team 1 but instead of Butt have club captain Geremi to quash thethreat of Arteta!! Arteta can destroy anybody but if he is marshalled by Geremi h will have no effect!! Emre can then provide the creativity!!!

• Owen

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Team 1 . Solid at the back.

I’d be tempted to try Geremi or Faye , in place of Butt. Then again with Butt in his natural position he could do very well.

This could be Emre’s chance to fight for his place.

Bring Smith on After 65mins to play up front in place of Viduka. Up where he belongs………

• Owen

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:14 PM

oh,

I forgot to mention about Arteta, One of the best midfielders in the league. Somebody needs to be on him like a mackem on a skip.

• phoonck

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:18 PM

I chose Team 1 too. but i would have made a slight change to it. Instead of Butt, i’d putt either Geremi or Smith in. Butt is gone for me this season.. he seems to be inefficient in the middle and no drive.

Yes, we will have to stop Arteta if we are to have any chance of winning. And we should be careful too on McFadden.. he’s quite a handful for defenders this season..

• michael gd

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:33 PM

That Everton game wouldn’t have gone into extra time because of the away goals?
    Team 1 looks a good enough team to break into the top 4 if we change butt for Barton and get Deco swapped for Emre in January.

Come on martins!

• ToonKing

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Team 1 but Geremi instead of Butt.

• Rich

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:34 PM

I went for team 1 change Butt for Geremi and i would be a happy man!!

• Cockney Magpie

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:41 PM

exactly what i was thinkin rich!!

• paul p

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:49 PM

nicky butt has been one of our best players this season, him, roz, nzogbia by a mile. so for me, he has to play in midfield. so i wud go emre/butt midfield, plus emre plays better with butt in their, as it proved last year when parker was playing.

• Cam_Toon

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:20 PM

ToonKing I agree mate… Team one with Gerimi instead of Butt.

• John

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:33 PM

I agree also , Geremi for Butt, but also Faye for Cacacpa

• Shearer9

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:42 PM

Team one for me although Geremi for Nicky Butt please…has everyone failed to notice his abysmal performances this season?? they’ve cost us goals.

Also Steven Taylor is a Geordie legend in the making, surely he gets the nod infront of Capaca who (whilst playing well thus far for the club) is surely not fully fit to start against Everton….!

Lets hope Emre has a good game.

PS Geremi has been made captain, surely we can’t keep subbing him half way through the games… a bit of an Odd one.

pps Shay between the sticks.

• doby the mag

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:55 PM

Ed – I think team 1 & I don’t want to be a sheva clite but the tie wouldn’t have went to extra time because Everton had scored two away goals compared to conceding only 1!!!

• AdamJD2

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:07 PM

I’m going with team 4. Its solid and more attacking, which I think is the way to go against Everton. You have a defense that has proven itself and is solid with N’Zogbia proving helpful on the attack. Midfield you have creativity and attack in Emre and Milner, leadership and the hardwork Smith and Geremi. Up front is a given with Oba and Viduka. Then sub on Enrique and Butt to seal the deal

• Gordon

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Team 1 – but with Geremi or Faye instead of Butt

• toonUSA

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:47 PM

I say Harper deserves to play this game Given has conseded 5 goals in two games while Harper stood between the posts for the undefeted run the team had. Maybe i am symphatetic to Harper but what more can the man do to deserve a start…. look at the numbers and how well he has done this year before saying Given is the best and thats that…

• Jóhann

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:54 PM

I think those option of a team are crap, no offense. And all very similar. And why the h*ll aint my team idea there? 🙂

Harper
    Beye Cacapa Taylor Enrique
    Martins Butt Zogbia Milner
    Viduka Smith

Team 1: One unfit midfielder when we only have two in midfield. Are you crazy? Bed emre slowly in at least while we have zogbia. And I stick by that Martins will be a lot more useful on the wing where he can do his tricks and unbelieveable shots. No easy chances to blow there. Allardyce said it all today.

Team 2: Could work but come on Butt and Faye in midfield? We´ll have to count on Zogbia and Milner to be on top form. This is an interesting lineup though… but pretty risky imo.

Team 3: Haha I would cry if Allardyce played this one again.

Team 4: Could work in a 4-3-3 formation, not as much running for Emre but still don´t like having Smith and Geremi in our midfield.

Team 5: Better than 4 by miles but wouldn´t reccomend this one. Zogbia at left back just doesn´t impress me.

• Jóhann

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:55 PM

toonUSA: People´s opinion will change gradually. I´m telling you we won´t have success with Given. Haven´t had one and won´t have(Well intertoto last year but did Given play many games there? :))

• ToonKing

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:19 PM

@Johann: haha mate come oon.
    This is your team ??

Harper
    Beye Cacapa Taylor Enrique
    Martins Butt Zogbia Milner
    Viduka Smith

-Taylor instead of Rozy ?? Taylor has been all over the place lately no way should he get the nod in front of Rozy who has been solid in every game so far.

-Martins on the right wing ?? his passing isn’t the best + he can’t cross, he’s channel running striker, RM is no place for him.

– Butt ?? He performance was terrible so far and cost us at least 1 goal. he gives way to many balls and fouls away. no way he’s a starter.

-Viduka, Smith ?? Why would we play two target man ?? they are similar players and both of them lacks real place, Oba is our man

apart from those good formation 😉

• yemozone

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:42 PM

I like team 1 too but i want faye for butt.

• Jóhann

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Mr ToonKing please don´t say things you don´t know about.

-Rozy gets bullied by defenders not Taylor. Taylor is superb playing with the right partner. Superb alongside Woodgate and I think he´ll be superb alongside Cacapa. Cacapa and Rozy I just don´t think look that good together. Too similar in my mind. Both experience I know but I just think they do similar things. And I don´t think either is that good at winning headers which Taylor is superb at.

– Who the hell gives a f*ck excuse me the language if he can pass well or not? Martins only needs to make short passes which are pretty easy but most often he can just dribble past anyone. He´s not a channel running strikers it´s correct in basics but are you really serious? Do you even remember the first owen goal of the season? Wasn´t Martins on the wing and didn´t he put in a fantastic cross? Don´t say someone can´t cross the ball because you haven´t seen him do it 🙂

– Butt is our best defensive midfielder. He does give fouls away, sometimes the ball. But what Butt is great at is sweeping for an offensive midfielders in front of him. Butt is very good at sustaining attacks but I feel immensly sorry for him while playing with Smith and Geremi in midfield.

-Why? Because they both scored 33 goals in one season for leeds while playing together. And they weren´t quick then lad.

• Jóhann

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Dead Mr ToonKing please don´t say things you don´t know about.

• Jóhann

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Ok please delete the second one. Didn´t see the first one but it said I had posted but because I didn´t see it I just added one word in front of Mr Toonking. It was supposed to be Dear not Dead. I´m not that malicious 😉

• Danger Mouse

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:40 PM

I see this as a real battle between Emre and Arteta. The better player on the day will make the difference. Unless they are both nulified and it comes down to a bit a magic from someone. If that is the case I fancy our chances as I think Zogs can own Hibbert and both Oba and Duka can change a game in an instant. Up the TOON!

• ToonKing

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:44 PM

You do make good points dear mister Johann, however :

1)Taylor- agree that he was great with Woodgate, but i’m judging on the performances put in so far this season. And Rozehnal is better then Steven so far imo. Taylor made a lot of mistakes so far this season while Rozy has been cool and made decisive tackles in every game. And unlike you i think that Cacapa and Rozy look great together, Rozy’s physical presence goes very well with the exeptional game reading ability of Cacapa imo.

2)on the same not don’t say Oba can cross just because he made 1 good cross so far. he never ever played at right midfield in his career + i believe that his speed, technique and blistering shoots are much better used in front of the goal. and no, a midfielder doesn’t just make short passes, although Oba definitely has the speed for a good winger he doesn’t have the vision. Can u imagine Oba putting in crosses like, say Nobby ? or even Milner for that fact.

3) again agree that Butt is good at stopping oncoming playmakers but so is Geremi and Geremi can pass better, take set pieces and is the captain.
    Overall i feel that from Geremi Smith and Butt, Butt showed the worst performances so far, and both Smith and Geremi can do the job better then him in midfield along with Emre or Barton.

4) Smith and Viduka may have scored 33 goals, but Viduka wasn’t 31 then and Smith had an entire leg :), also Leeds didn’t have anyone with pace back then, maybe just Robbie Keane.
    They most certainly didn’t have Oba or Owen. Imo Oba, Owen with Viduka or if he isn’t available then Smith can do the job better then the 2 together.

and finally with Oba at RM were better off playing 4-3-3 then at least he would be closer to the goal.

• steve

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:54 PM

surprised team 1 is so popular – dont think its a good idea to leave butt as the only tackling midfielder we’d be swamped.

• Obafan

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:55 PM

@toonusa:
    I don’t think you can blame Shay for 1 of the 5 goals (2 at Arsenal and 3 at MAn City) he has conceeded. I am quite sure that Harper would have conceeded them as well. Shay is the better of the 2 but I agree that it was a bit strange BS picked him and not Harper last Saturday.

Team 1 with 2 changes:
    1- Geremi in for Millner. Geremi is at his best at right wing not as a defensive midfielder.
    2. Faye in for Butt => task for Faye: hold Arteta (not easy but he can do that IMO)

• Arthur Prince

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:08 PM

Team 1 for me . Time to give Emre (if fully fit) a go at creating something in midfield with Milner and Nzogbia on either side with perhaps Faye instead of Butt as DCM.
    so 4 1 3 2 formation . Subs excellent Geremi Smith Butt Harper Taylor

Shows we need Barton back and some really classy creative Midfielders attacking Variety in Jan transfer window . I would like the team to watch how Barcelona play a master class in keeping the ball and attacking with pace and vision . Awesome !!

• Bosck

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Team 1 – geremi for butt,

Smith on for viduka after 60 butt on for emre to close game down if ahead and holding on.

subs: harper, taylor, butt, faye, owen.

• iain

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:10 PM

team 1 – however butt has to be dropped nufc worst player of the season so far by a million miles. not even good enough for any pl team the way hes playing the run around derbys mf gave him showed that, any half decent player with some movement, pace and basic dribbling skills will leave butt for dead, so im dreading arteta/osman/pienaar facing him on sunday.

he cant pass, he gives the ball away in bad positions, gives away stupid fouls not for the good of the team but becuase hes angry and knows hes playing bad, so the best thing he can do is try and take down the player.

play geremi in cm with emre instead.

sam is really testing my patience with wacky selections that are making roeder look like marcello lippi.

• azza jones

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:47 AM

ToonKing & Johann I enjoyed reading your posts….But I have to say I agree completely with ToonKing.

Johann your talking about leeds team 5 years ago, when Alan smith looked & played like he was invincible. Since then he has smashed his leg and been in every position except goal and is not half the player that Man U bought….He doesnt have the eye for goal and in that season im sure Viduka did the bulk of scoring. Dont get me wrong he is a good pro but not a world beater….

I love the way Taylor plays but I do think that at the moment Taylor is letting alot of off field stuff f*ck him up, getting picked for england senior, being linked to livo/chelsea, contract crap so hes mind is not where it should be.

I do prefer geremi to butt because of his better passing ability but I would like to see faye in the team for a game to see what he can offer from that position.

I would choose Team 1 as well……..

• Ed Harrison

Oct 6, 2007 at 10:55 AM

doby – you are so right – Everton would win on away goals rule – i took it out – thanks.