Owen Should Not Be Risked Against Everton

Michael Owen was training today with his colleagues at the Benton training Facility in Newcastle.

Provided there are no ill effects, Sam says he will name the England striker in the Newcastle squad for Sunday’s home game with Everton.

Michael will train again tomorrow and it will be interesting to see if Sam will include him in his final 16 on Sunday.

michael-owen-127.jpg

Michael Owen – why rush him back for Everton?

If we are being absolutely honest we’d prefer Owen wasn’t included because it’s just a week since he had his double operation and there’s no need to rush him back for Newcastle. Martins can deputize extremely well for Owen, as most Newcastle fans will agree, and Oba looked excellent last week at Man City and of course scored a great goal.

If Michael doesn’t make the squad on Sunday it will be interesting to see what McClaren does in England’s qualifying games. Again we hope he doesn’t play in the qualifiers because there’s a risk in that whether you admit it or not. We should learn from last year’s world cup and not put Michael at risk like he was put at risk then – and Michael and Newcastle paid for it.

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce talked about Owen this afternoon:

“I think he will be available for Sunday, so I do not think that will be a problem.” “Based on today, as long as he does not get any reaction, he will be available for the squad.”

“He will come in tomorrow and train again and he will be okay, so I think he will be available for selection.”

Michael will join up with the England squad whether he plays or not on Sunday of course, but we don’t see why Michael should be rushed back on Sunday, certainly not to please Steve McClaren. Sam continued:

“It is nothing to do with Steve McClaren and England what I do with Michael Owen. “ “It is what I think is the best for the football club and the team on Sunday, and Michael Owen all combined.”

“I have never been one to ask somebody to play and risk being injured again.” “I take my medical staff’s information, the highly-qualified staff I have got, and I take their recommendation.”

“Unless I am really, really desperate – and I mean really desperate – I would not ask a player to go out there who I do not think is going to complete the game, or is going to make his condition worse than it already is.”

“If he is fit, he is fit. If he plays on Sunday, then obviously he is fit to play for England then.” “But I have to look at my position first and make sure if I am going to select him, he is 100% able to do what I want him to do.”

“We have to bear in mind his previous, and his recent previous has not been too good when he has tried to complete a number of games.” “He has had two sets of surgery, even though they were only minor and an adductor, and I am always very protective for the future.”

“I won’t be over-protective, but protective enough not to put myself into trouble in the future by risking Michael Owen too early. “ “That is a big decision to make. Every player when he thinks he is fit from his injury, thinks he it fit to play, and sometimes as a manager, you have got to look a bit longer and deeper than that.”

If Michael is in the squad on Sunday and plays at all – even if he’s brought on as a substitute for the last 5 minutes, everyone will say he can then play for England. If he doesn’t play then Sam has every right to tell McClaren he is not fit to play for England and that’s the end of the matter. In that case Owen will still travel with the squad, but he wouldn’t play in the England games. Then we’d all be sure that when he does play next, probably against Tottenham on 22nd October, he will be fully fit.

That sounds like a good plan for Newcastle and Sam to take, and it’s for Michael’s best interests.

What do you think?

• ToonKing

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Pff intersting dilema.

All in all i would like it if Sam doesn’t name Owen in the squad and tells Muppet McLaren that he isn’t available yet.

That way Owen has more than enough time to become completely fit.

• Geordie joe

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:47 PM

mclaren obviously is a dickhead who has no respect for newcastle united. it is us who paid 17m for him and probably 17m wages aswell. England has plenty of quality strikers who could score against estonia and russia so why risk owen. what an arsehole.

• Toon Chicken

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Michael Owen always needs games to get his sharpness back, so if he’s fit, and BSA and the club doctor’s agree that he’s ready, I don’t see why there should be any problem in him playing against Russia. Estonia will come too soon, but 60-70 mins against Russia could do him the world of good. After all, everyone was singing his praises after the last 2 England games and he only picked up his latest injury playing for us.

• toonfan1

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:17 PM

the game in Russia is going to be played on an artificial pitch which is very worrying from our perspective. artificial pitches cause many injuries as i have had a few myself so hopefully owen will come through international duty unscathed. i hope owen isn’t risked on sunday as martins is more then a good replacement for him. up the toon!! 2-1 on sunday to the mighty magpies!!! howay the lads

• Bill F

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Toonfan1 I’m not an aware of what the problems with artificial pitches are, you may well be correct. I would think that the surface is probably more consistent to play on than than some of the grass pitches seen in international matches. Most of the really serious injuries seen in all levels of football seem to be where studs have caught up in the surface of grass pitches causing ruptures of tendons in ankles and knees as MO would I’m sure confirm. If all the experts really think he is fit to play then theres no reason not to play him. Oba and Viduka perhaps should be the starting pair anyway given their recent form (don’t think they were at fault for the MC debacle) with Michael on the bench and coming on for 30 minutes after we have built up a good lead.

• leo

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:59 PM

artificial pitches are harsh, in comparison with the prictine pitches in the epl. i did my knee playing on artificial turf, was soo angry because it wouldnt have happened on grass, my studs would not have stayed burried into the ground.

• azza jones

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:25 AM

IM SICK OF MICHAEL OWEN OR SHOULD I SAY GLASS MAN! I THINK HE IS A NEGATIVE INFLUENCE ON THE TEAM……..

OBA NEEDS TO PLAY GAMES. I HOPE OWEN BREAKS A LEG, HE ALWAYS PLAYS BETTER FOR ENGLAND, THEN WE CAN STOP HEARING BOUT HIM

• Greg B

Oct 6, 2007 at 2:16 AM

Wether or not Owen plays against Everton he WILL play for England.
    Why?
    Because Owen will always put England before Newcastle, hell he would put England before Liverpool, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Chelsea or whoever he was playing for…… and be honest, so would 99% of people.

To play for you country, wether its your first cap or your 100th cap its still seen as the ultimate accolade in football – representing your country.

So while Newcastle pay his wages Michael Owen will always consider playing for England as the most important games of his career, and who can blame him.

For me, my national team play in black and white, I am Newcastle through and through, in the good times (what good times?) and in the bad, Newcastle United will be my life. If its a toss up between walking onto the pitch for Newcastle United or for England my choice is always Newcastle, I love the club with a passion. I am passionate about England too but for me Newcastle does, and always will, come first.

However you cannot expect the same loyalty with players, granted the likes of Shearer, Gazza, Taylor and Clarke are like sticks of rock, if you cracked them in two they would say Newcastle United through and through but for the likes of Owen, and this is not a criticism, they are English before they are Geordie, they are more passionate about England than Newcastle.

Its just the way it is, we cant force Owen to put Newcastle before England (I know many of us would say ‘Newcatle pay his wages so he should put Newcastle first’) but being realistic you cant put that sort of presure on the lad. We should be grateful he is here in the first place, no matter what we pay him he is still Englands first choice striker and he is playing for the Toon!

Lets hope he puts a couple pats Everton on Sunday and then goes on to bang one or two in for England next week!

• Greg B

Oct 6, 2007 at 2:19 AM

By the way, Azza, you are a complete fanny, why would you wish Owen breaks his leg? Any publicity is good publicity, I would rather England’s top striker was here playing for the Toon than anywhere else.
    Sometimes I f*(^ing despair, I really do.

• Lamesley Mag

Oct 6, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Not sure we need Owen against Everton as we have Martins, Viduka and Smith all champing at the bit.

McLaren will need to ease Owen back against Estonia so he’s ready for the Russia game for which he should play in-part only.

The success of the England football team is important, so let’s allow England to get our Mr. Owen match fit so he’s available and ready for our game against Spurs!

• Toon Chicken

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:46 AM

azza jones – I wouldn’t even wish a broken leg on one of the mackems. get a life you loser!

• Ed Harrison

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:54 AM

Greg B – here’s the dream scenario for Michael – comes on tomorrow after 75 minutes and scores the only goal of the game with 10 minutes to go. He starts on Saturday for England and scores a goal in an easy England win.
    Estonia are ranked 127 and England 9 in latest FIFA rankings and England are at home!

• Toon Chicken

Oct 6, 2007 at 10:13 PM

Greg B – what a refreshing change. Very well said. It makes a nice change to hear someone talking sense on here.

• azza jones

Oct 7, 2007 at 9:53 AM

What the hell is Michael Owen done for us since he signed? I dont wish him literally to break a leg but you have to admit he is a NEGATIVE INFLUENCE and has disrupted our top stiker from last season. What has Michael done this season? Scored one goal against Wigan when he had three good chance before then to do the business……

Toon Chicken and Greg B this site is about supporting NEWCASTLE UNITED not england. I respect a player who gives his all for his country but he’s injury record means he can only do well for one. Maybe he still be here when he retires from international game like shearer did and then maybe he will do something for us. SELL HIM EVEN for 10 MIL and get someone who puts NUFC first!