Oba – Michael and I Can Play Together

Oba talked yesterday, while he was helping customers pack bags at the ASDA in Gatehead’s Metro Center for charity.

He talked about the number 9 shirt he inherited from Alan Shearer, and he thinks that Michael Owen and himself can play well together, as they have apparently been doing in training.

We’ll take a look at what Oba said and also mention more on the charity work he was doing yesterday.

oba-martins-32.gif

Oba Martins – thinks Michael Owen and himself can play well together

Oba said:

“When I came here I was offered the No.9 shirt.” “I got it from Alan Shearer when he retired. He tells me to score lots of goals, and I cannot let him or the shirt he gave me down and I have to deserve my place.”

“I don’t feel like it is a competition between Michael Owen and me. The important thing is for me to play football.” “I really want to play. As a footballer you are remembered for playing football not picking up your wages or sitting on the bench.”

“Michael is getting fit again which is good for the club. Together we can push each other.” “I left Inter Milan because I was on the bench too much and I came here to play. I will do my best to stay in the team.”

“People don’t understand that Michael Owen and I CAN play together. “We have done it in training. I am not the manager but I reckon we can have a partnership even though we are both little and quick.”

That’s very interesting but we know Sam likes to play one big man up front. But they have been on the field together when Martins put in that beautiful cross for Michael to head in to get all 3 points against Wigan.

Martins continued:

“The manager says I can score more and he is right. I get many opportunities and I have to put more away.”

“I feel I have got more to offer, but it is not easy to score when you have big defenders chasing you down and doing everything to stop me.”

But Martins said he has settled very well on Tyneside, with his family, adding:

“The fans really love me which is great. I have lots of Geordie friends but they told me to learn English first rather than Geordie words.”

“I like the city and my family are settled here. My brothers and sisters are here and they’ve been living with me since last year. That helps.”

We think the best chance of having Oba and Martins start together is that if Martins plays on one of the wings. We think it very unlikely that Sam would ever start them both up front as strikers.

Oba Martins was backing the Premier League’s Creating Chances program to highlight the charity and community work done by footballers. On Friday Oba was out as part of the Creating Chances program by doing good work for charity supporting Meningitis UK by packing shoppers’ bags at ASDA in Gateshead’s Metro Center. This helped raise money for the charity’s “Search 4 a Vaccine Campaign” campaign.

We think that’s just great that footballers do this and it’s good to see Oba working well for charities. He mustn’t have been too good at the packing he added:

“My brothers and my mum often do my food shopping so bag packing is difficult for me!”

Comments very welcome.

• iain

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:30 PM

with all the crap we have to put up with “englands” michael owen playing for us its no wonder that Oba is the fans favorite.

frankly i think the day owen leaves it will be good for us, whereas if oba left i think it would be bad for the club.

owen just has far too much baggage and its no surprise to see him in the england squad straight away before hes even sat on the bench for us. owen might say nufc comes 1st but you can see he doesnt mean it. whereas with oba he seems genuinly happy and just wants to does his best for our club.

if sam ever decides he would rather keep owen and sells oba should the chance arrise i can see him loosig a lot of suppurt with a large section of fans that he would never be able to win back imo.

• Ed Harrison

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:38 PM

iain – if he sells one it should be Owen because if he’s fit we can get our money back on him – Oba can be a better player as he matures….he’s still only 22.

• Lull

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Agree with iain except the part with England’s Michael Owen leaving us. It is more interesting for me to see the strike partnership between Martins and Owen. Maybe just maybe if we have the suitable midfields for Sam’s 4-3-3 formation, we can put Owen-Viduka-Martins up front. scary!

• ToonKing

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:02 PM

It would be great to see the two together although i don’t see how we can leave Viduka out at this moment in time.

• hadrian

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:04 PM

big man little man is really designed round a long ball game imo , which i hate .
    if we played nice foot ball on the ground two small strikers wouldnt be a problem .
    owen for me is no longer a quick striker , he’s had to get smarter and all credit to him , but if that means we are to revolve the entire way we play around putting chances infront of micheal , id rather pass .
    he got heaps of praise for england , but any top class striker fed so many chances si bound to put them away .

you have to look at their natural fitness aswell as the fact oba’s a gymnast .

the soap opera will never leave the toon as long as we have the likes of owen , and im sick of playstyle being revolved around him when he starts , id rather the £££££

• steve

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:46 PM

I wonder about Oba as a long term prospect.

Simply put, he’d never be good enough for the top four sides.

• Dave

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:55 PM

Ed: I’d love to see Oba and Martins start together too 🙂 Hell lets throw Owen on just behind them!

• toonfan1

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:58 PM

dave- u put oba and martins up front! same person lol lmao!!!

• Dave

Oct 6, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Toonfan1: Ah ha!

From article “We think the best chance of having Oba and Martins start together is that if Martins…….”

Maybe he has a twin, or a doppleganger!

God I hope we win tomorow.

• sverrirp

Oct 6, 2007 at 7:42 PM

If we would start with Martins and Owen up front, it’s likely that the opposition’s would play a very deep defensive line, and when that happens you need a big and strong target man to hold up the ball, like Viduka, because the quick players can’t use their pace.

• toonfan1

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:17 PM

haha hope he does have a twin

• Bill F

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Hadrian, like your analysis makes a lot of sense. Only slight disagreement would be that I believe Michael is good enough to adapt to the team rather than other way round. In the Russian game his game was all round not just poaching. The two O’s imo can play together but still think it will and should be Oba and Viduka starting tommorow.

• Dragoner

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:39 PM

@ steve

“I wonder about Oba as a long term prospect.

Simply put, he’d never be good enough for the top four sides.”

shut up man! thats crap what you just said!

• phoonck

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:22 AM

exactly, dragoner.. what steve said is crap!

wenger was interested to take martins on board, subject to availability! so when wenger is interested in a young player(like martins), you mean he’ll not be good enough for the top four sides? think having martins with rooney/saha/ronaldo/tevez etc, martins with van persie/adebayor etc, martins with drogba/shevchenko, martins with torres/kuyt etc.. hell’ll break loose! (tats salivating, isn’t it..)

martins powerful shots/high jumps/darting pace/good footwork/sturdy strength will tear defence down when he matures at the age of mid 20s!! agree?!

• leo

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:31 AM

yep. totally agree martins is for the future, which is promising if we get these soo called rumoured french players, that is if they are any good

• shearyadi

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:18 AM

Howay!!! Will we ever learn the difference of “Patience” and “Passion”?

It sems that most of the (foreign?) Toon Army always wanted an immediate success and or hoping that the new players that any Toon managers brought in have to be immediately showing good.

I think we should wait for a while and let them adopt the new environment and style of play.

Oba or Owen, we have the best out of them in their own style. None is better than the other, what the best out of this is we have variations, and some depth in squad. We will be there!

• JJ

Oct 7, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Martins would walk into a top four side in few years time. He has incredible potential. Inter are the best side in Italy at the moment. Italy have the Champion league winners in AC Milan so its a strong league and I dont think Inter were very happy about losing him…
    He offers more to the side than Owen with creativity and pace, and his finishing will imprive with experience in the leage. Quite frankly if we could swap Owen for Gudjonsen I would be a very happy toon supporter!

4-3-3 formation (home) perhaps for away drop Milner and play Faye in Def Mid with Germemi at RM

————————————–/Given/Harper——————————-

Beye/Ramage—-Rozenhal/Faye—-Taylor/Casapa——-Baba/Enrique

—————Geremi/Milner—–Barton/Emre——N Zogbia/Duff

————————————-Gudjonsen——————————–

——————-Smith/Viduka——————/SmithMartins———-

• steve

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:44 PM

What pisses me off is any criticism is somehow seen as negativity. Bollocks. Cop on.

Martins is a year older than, say, Rooney, and has not a third of that boy’s ability.

If Wenger wanted Martins, why didn’t he just buy him? He bought that Da Silva fella instead.

Sam knows about Martins shortcomings, and it’s that he’s not a consistent finisher. People can talk about “finished article” and “potential” or whatever unimaginative cliché makes them feel more comfortable, but all great strikers are more or less fully developed at 22.

Martins is no world beater.