The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Beye Wanted All-Action Premiership Move

10:09 am, Monday, October 8th, 2007 by Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

Habib Beye says Newcastle United manager Sam Allardyce had been after him for some time, even when Sam was at Bolton.

Earlier in the summer Sam had talked to him about coming to Newcastle, when Sam was appointed manager in May.

Then late in August, after Stephen Carr was injured, Sam went after Beye again, and this time he was successful in getting the Marseilles captain to move to Tyneside.

habib-beye-473.jpg

Habib Beye – Sam and Premiership’s all action style convinced Senegalese on Newcastle  move

It was the Premiership’s all-action style that convinced the Senegalese international about moving from Olympique Marseille to Newcastle and the Premiership. He also was courted by a big Spanish club, who had also tried to sign him, but he thought the Spanish league too slow.

Beye said:

“It was important for me to play in the Premiership – Middlesbrough wanted me a few years ago – and I was even more certain of that after I had spoken to Sam,”

“I had contact with him early in the summer but I had a contract with Marseilles and it was difficult for me to leave because I was captain and we were in the Champions League.”

“But I spoke to Sam again. He said: ‘I want you to come to Newcastle – you can be a very big player for me.”

“Then I spoke with the club owner and my manager and I said I wanted to go to Newcastle because I’d played for Marseilles for four years, given my best for the club and, for me, it was better to go and test myself in an English team and in the Premiership.”

“Sam also wanted me when he was at Bolton. It was very important for me that he had confidence in me.” “I had an offer to go to a big Spanish club, but the football there is too slow for me.”

“After three games here, I’m very pleased with the choice I’ve made.”

Beye looks to have been a great acquisition by Sam and is still fairly young, turning 30 years old in October. Along with 21 year-old Jose Enrique we hope we have got two solid full backs now as part of our back four. Certainly Habib looks a no nonsense experienced player who has played for Marseilles in the Champions League.  He has settled very well in both the Newcastle team and the Newcastle area.

Tags: Habib Beye · Newcastle News · Players

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 George // Oct 8, 2007 at 10:24 AM

Am i glad that Big Sam is like the Mounties “He always gets his man”. Habib Beye has been a great signing for us, and as far as i am concerned a deal as good as J Bartons signing.
    Beye is a classsy no fuss defender.
    Thanks for keeping up the chase Sam we at NUFC can be the benefactors now.

• 2 Cockney Magpie // Oct 8, 2007 at 10:51 AM

Im so happy with our new right back he does look class and also Jose Enrique looked great yesterday aswel its so good to see top class defenders in a newcastle shirt!

• 3 paul p // Oct 8, 2007 at 11:34 AM

i thought both played well. enrique looks very strong at the back.

Question for you all, when the teams come out for the start of the game, why have they stopped playing local hero theme tune. I think this song gets the crowd up for the match. There has not been a good atmosphere at the match this year i think. We should start a protest to get it back and get the geordie roar back before the kick off. What do people think.

• 4 Rob kirton // Oct 8, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Paul: I think the “local hero” tune was a always a little bit too downbeat. It’s been replaced by “If the kids are United…” which you would think is great to get any crowd going and pogoing up and down. Of course there are now over 40,00o people who go to home games, sit on their hands and moan a lot. Trust me it’s not the music, it’s the fans. The team giving the fans something to get excited about would also help, however we are still some way off that :0(

RE: Baye and other defensive acquisitions. The players Sam has brought into the defence all appear to be shaping up well. A few more games together under their belt and things should only get better. The surprising aspect I find is that Steven Taylor may now be our 4th Choice Centre Half. Food for thought…

• 5 big pea ov the weab // Oct 8, 2007 at 2:22 PM

hey for any ov u who r on this site regulaly u will ov probley read about me slaggin beye off well am sorry n i will eat my words…….. any 1 got some sauce to go with this
    he was exelent yesterday as was enreque out standing roz n cacapa in middle wot a defence this could b and with faye and taylor well wot more can i say

• 6 big pea ov the weab // Oct 8, 2007 at 2:23 PM

may i add faye plated out ov his skin as well he was winning loads ov airal balls

• 7 ToonPipes // Oct 8, 2007 at 2:36 PM

To Big Peav ….. nice one for coming out and saying you were wrong .. i had seen you thought that and i have to admit i had started to think he might be little light-weight having initially been really excited about him signing … but he was good yd .. steady and once he get set in, reckon he will be a good attacking option too …… also totally agree FAYE was f ucking wicked yd .. he is a monster apart from when he tried a trick pass at one point when ball needed booting out … faye / cacapa and roz are class and as one blogger rightly pointed out, since titus left us, have began to notice the mistakes that taylor makes .. he needs a bit longer before he is a good as the other 3 ..

• 8 Hammy // Oct 9, 2007 at 5:05 PM